Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread: #RenovateBlackham

Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    From what I recall the McNeese facility was appropriated late in Jindal's administration. Edwards came in halted all the things Jindal had approved canceled some. McNeese's slide by it had already gone to bid. They squeaked through and probably wouldn't have happened if they were a few months later. Read TX ST. is screwing up adding 2,500 seats to their basketball area. Making it more multipurpose.
    Texas state had a big wall behind one of the goals. The renovation was needed and their arena is much better off now.

2. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Y’all keep saying renovate Blackham. It’s more than renovate, you’d have to build and create space. I have worked with two teams that have used Blackham and have seen its issues. I have also worked several events there.

They would have to add on. Locker room facilities are tiny. Not enough space.

Y’all complain about concession lines at Cajun Field….Blackham has two concession stands in the front. You can’t put them on the side and block exits.

Y’all haven’t complained about lines at the bathroom but y’all will.

The roof leaks. That roof has probably never been redone. Count on replacing it.

Bench seats. Y’all will complain about that.

It is terribly difficult to control temperature in there. Between holes in the structure and open doors, it’s almost impossible.

Y’all complain about parking in the grass at Cajun Field. It’s all grass at blackham.

The lighting system is outdated and would need to be redone to even abide by the minimal standards of ESPN plus.

The concourse is more like a tunnel and undoubtedly too narrow for fire code

Does the basketball team move out of the Cajundome? Do we need new offices for the staff?

Now let’s look at recruiting implications:

Sure, it’s possible (but not in the least bit guaranteed) it’ll help the atmosphere. But what do recruits see when they look at it? A barn. A lockerroom with no fancy bells and whistles.

Recruits don’t care about the history of a building. They care about recent history. They care about cool ____.

Not to rain on y’all’s parade, but it is not feasible. Overall there is no way it’s a $11-12 mill project. That place needs work to be a D1 basketball arena, and I’m sure a lot of work would include bringing it up to code. Y’all talk about a barebones arena but let’s be honest, a year or two in yall would be _____ing about needs for upgrades.
    I love how you use "y'all" so many times to make sure to differentiate yourself from the "complainers." Tells the reader a lot.

People CORRECTLY POINT OUT (not complain) about CF concessions because there are too many unused, ill used and serviced terribly at CF. Also, serving 20k is not comparable to serving 3K.

Bathroom line is a reality at every venue I've ever been to EXCEPT CD, and the answer is obvious. No one is at the damn dome. Also again, serving 3K was fine for the rodeo. It can be fine for MBB.

The roof leaked at the CD. They fixed it. I know, I know; hard to wrap your mind around, isn't it? A repaired roof is not a magical dream.

Bench seating doesn't have to be universal throughout the new Blackham. In fact, it would help sell premium chair backs. Again, if you're trying to get the younger fanbase, bench seating will not be an issue. Next.

Temp control. You gotta be freaking kidding me. Do you have an idea what it costs to run the AC in the CD? It's outrageous. We'd save several thousand a year just not having to pay that bill. Add some Big Ass fans in there. Just make sure the air isn't stagnant. Basketball is played in the fall/winter months. Should never be a problem.

NO one here complains about "parking in the grass." Not only that, that is not the argument. The argument was proximity to the field. Parking will not be an issue at the new Blackham. "Y'all" need to stop bringing up that straw man argument.

The lighting system would need to be redone anyway. ESPN+ or not. It would be an integral part of the reno anyway.

"Undoubtedly" about the fire code. You don't know the fire code, you're just assuming? While I agree the concourse is narrow, if you remove the concessions that are currently in those areas, it widens the walkway substantially.

Basketball offices occupy what, 6 offices maybe? I have no idea, just wondering out loud. Whatever the case, there are empty spots in the cox building and once the Roy is occupied again, there will be other options. That is the least of concerns.

Recruits want to WIN. Recruits want to be RELEVANT. Recruits want to get their names on TV in the NCAA Tournament. The Kansas Jay Hawks play in a barn too. So did Butler before they were national championship participants. So do many midwestern powerhouse programs. If we're recruiting kids that would rather play on a pretty floor than WIN, probably tells you why we can't get out of our own conference tournament every year.

You can save the ____ing lecture. The fact that this topic has gotten so much traction over the last few years should tell anyone who is paying attention that it matters to fans. And still none of your conjecture solves a single one of the many problems that I've talked about with regard to the toxic relationship between MBB and the CD. Maybe the project isn't $12mm and it's closer to $20mm. Considering the gaping hole in our MBB revenue bucket, it might actually be cheaper to renovate Blackham than continue playing in the CD over the course of 8-10 years.

I’m glad others are pointing out the reality that it’s not feasible and a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    I’m glad others are pointing out the reality that it’s not feasible and a pipe dream.
    You must have missed the post that the admin was discussing this very topic.

5. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Selective reading. They think because they sniff the asses of the people they see on TV, they have all the answers and us "idiot fans" just don't have a clue. Damn the fact that many here are engineers, business developers, sales executives, marketing professionals, small business owners, etc etc etc. We just don't know, James.

6. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

One person said it was discussed, I don't know if it has been or not and I am not taking the word of won person on this board just saying it. Also, discussing and implementing are two very different things. I am sure the administration has discussed numerous things that we would be shocked about, that does not mean they will ever become a reality. We don't know if this supposed conversation even took place but if it did, what was the depth of the conversation"Mais cher, we should renovate Blackham." "Bruh, are you serious, that ____ can't be done." There we now have a conversation about renovating Blackham.

I stand by my first thought, the only way Blackham is an option, is if it is completely bulldozed and start anew.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I love how you use "y'all" so many times to make sure to differentiate yourself from the "complainers." Tells the reader a lot.

People CORRECTLY POINT OUT (not complain) about CF concessions because there are too many unused, ill used and serviced terribly at CF. Also, serving 20k is not comparable to serving 3K.

Bathroom line is a reality at every venue I've ever been to EXCEPT CD, and the answer is obvious. No one is at the damn dome. Also again, serving 3K was fine for the rodeo. It can be fine for MBB.

The roof leaked at the CD. They fixed it. I know, I know; hard to wrap your mind around, isn't it? A repaired roof is not a magical dream.

Bench seating doesn't have to be universal throughout the new Blackham. In fact, it would help sell premium chair backs. Again, if you're trying to get the younger fanbase, bench seating will not be an issue. Next.

Temp control. You gotta be freaking kidding me. Do you have an idea what it costs to run the AC in the CD? It's outrageous. We'd save several thousand a year just not having to pay that bill. Add some Big Ass fans in there. Just make sure the air isn't stagnant. Basketball is played in the fall/winter months. Should never be a problem.

NO one here complains about "parking in the grass." Not only that, that is not the argument. The argument was proximity to the field. Parking will not be an issue at the new Blackham. "Y'all" need to stop bringing up that straw man argument.

The lighting system would need to be redone anyway. ESPN+ or not. It would be an integral part of the reno anyway.

"Undoubtedly" about the fire code. You don't know the fire code, you're just assuming? While I agree the concourse is narrow, if you remove the concessions that are currently in those areas, it widens the walkway substantially.

Basketball offices occupy what, 6 offices maybe? I have no idea, just wondering out loud. Whatever the case, there are empty spots in the cox building and once the Roy is occupied again, there will be other options. That is the least of concerns.

Recruits want to WIN. Recruits want to be RELEVANT. Recruits want to get their names on TV in the NCAA Tournament. The Kansas Jay Hawks play in a barn too. So did Butler before they were national championship participants. So do many midwestern powerhouse programs. If we're recruiting kids that would rather play on a pretty floor than WIN, probably tells you why we can't get out of our own conference tournament every year.

You can save the ____ing lecture. The fact that this topic has gotten so much traction over the last few years should tell anyone who is paying attention that it matters to fans. And still none of your conjecture solves a single one of the many problems that I've talked about with regard to the toxic relationship between MBB and the CD. Maybe the project isn't $12mm and it's closer to $20mm. Considering the gaping hole in our MBB revenue bucket, it might actually be cheaper to renovate Blackham than continue playing in the CD over the course of 8-10 years.
    Lol.

Discussing the topic and actually moving forward are two completely different things. Blackham is nothing more than a rodeo arena now. It’s not feasible to renovate to current code plus everything else needed to become a basketball arena. Now demo and rebuild would be feasible but then you’re left with the Cajundome sitting idle only hosting concerts and monster trucks.

9. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Discussing the topic and actually moving forward are two completely different things. Blackham is nothing more than a rodeo arena now. It’s not feasible to renovate to current code plus everything else needed to become a basketball arena. Now demo and rebuild would be feasible but then you’re left with the Cajundome sitting idle only hosting concerts and monster trucks.
    ______, great minds

bUt U dOnT kNoW tHaT!!!??!!!?!!

11. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    bUt U dOnT kNoW tHaT!!!??!!!?!!
    He doesn't. And neither do you.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I love how you use "y'all" so many times to make sure to differentiate yourself from the "complainers."
    Y’all in the context is obviously the pro-renovate Blackham crowd. But please, by all means, take things out of context

Interesting you say sitting idle.when the team doesn't even get to practice in it that often during the season.

This is what happens when you don't have a contingency plan with the Blackham property. The fact that we are still discussing what to do with that prime real estate on Johnston close to 40 years later tells me all I need to know on how we planned this from the start.

Personally, I don't care what we do with Blackham. Tear it down, renovate it, but do SOMETHING with that piece of land.

And wrasslin! Can’t forget wrasslin!!

I agree it would be great to play in the old building for nostalgic reason but that $20 million is not gonna get you anything close to what you need. It’s AT LEAST a $60 million project to get everything up to code, expansion of the building, offices, plumbing, electrical etc etc etc. Demo and rebuild is more cost efficient. It’s fun to think about but it’s not feasible. Sorry

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread Information