Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

1. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Do you think Jesus would have used the rod?
    Good shepherds use a rod to steer (like a hinge gate) not to dicipline.

2. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Do you think Jesus would have used the rod?
    absolutely, that is why it was so effective . . .

Default Re: OT: Reading

Just started John Grisham’s Bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Just started John Grisham’s Bleachers.
    I didn't mention that one, but I read all three of Grisham's sports books at one stretch when we were at the beach. Bleachers was not as much fun as Playing for Pizza, but it ends with a very interesting question about the people who influence us in our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    You made it negative, not me. Thinking of all the other better music was certainly positive. Maybe i looked up the book out of actual interest.
    I think A Painted House might be his best book.

ETA: this was in reference to John Grisham books

Default Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

If you are a history buff, I highly suggest any or all of the “Killing” series books by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard. All of these books contain a much more detailed account of the history of the subjects involved than are ever taught in school and in a manner that is very entertaining. Killing the Killers, Killing the SS, Killing the Rising Sun, Killing Patton, Killing Kennedy, Killing Reagan, Killing Jesus, Killing the Mob, Killing the Witches and Killing the Legends were all great reads. I am currently in the middle of reading Killing Lincoln. I generally don’t enjoy reading, but this series has really grabbed my attention and I am enjoying these immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns4me View Post
    Infinite Jest

David Foster Wallace
    Saw that one in a bookstore yesterday in Mobile. It looked intimidating to say the least. Hopefully you read faster than I do.

Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans
    Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger

It's the only book I've ever said it was hard to put down. Seeing the comment about the "Killing" series above reminded me of it. Purchased it the day of the 2020 Presidential election and read 8 chapters before the results started coming in. Finished it the next day. It is a damn fine book.

"So Jackson faced three enormous challenges. He had to convince President Madison and his War Department to take him seriously, even though he wasn't one of the well-educated Virginians and New Englanders who dominated the government. He had to assemble a coalition of frontier militiamen, French-speaking Louisianans, Cherokee and Choctaw Indians, freed slaves and even some pirates [talk about, interesting]. And he had to defeat the most powerful military force in the [W]orld - in the snake and [black] [A]lligator infested, confusing terrain of the Louisiana bayous."

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans
    Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger

It's the only book I've ever said it was hard to put down. Seeing the comment about the "Killing" series above reminded me of it. Purchased it the day of the 2020 Presidential election and read 8 chapters before the results started coming in. Finished it the next day. It is a damn fine book.

"So Jackson faced three enormous challenges. He had to convince President Madison and his War Department to take him seriously, even though he wasn't one of the well-educated Virginians and New Englanders who dominated the government. He had to assemble a coalition of frontier militiamen, French-speaking Louisianans, Cherokee and Choctaw Indians, freed slaves and even some pirates [talk about, interesting]. And he had to defeat the most powerful military force in the [W]orld - in the snake and [black] [A]lligator infested, confusing terrain of the Louisiana bayous."
    This has caught my attention! I may have to look into this one after finishing "Killing Lincoln". It won't be too long, because as you have mentioned about this book, it is hard for me to put down the "Killing" books once I get started.
    Thanks.

Thanks.
    Yes sir.

Settled on Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley for my next book. I’ve read several of his books in a more recent series but not as much of the Easy Rawlins books. Great mystery/detective writer if any of yall are in to that genre.

Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Bourne Enigma by Eric Van Lustbad
    I wanted to read the Bourne trilogy. Started on the first book, Bourne is shot in the head, falls in the ocean (he's dead, ask your wife, marine infection in the brain is adios).

A doctor in Greece does neurosurgery on Bourne, by himself, on his kitchen table (not possible, ask your wife).

I quit reading about that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZeebart21 View Post
    Good Night Moon, by Margaret Wise Brown. My 2 yr Grandson loves it, great illustration.

Z
    When my daughter was young, we went to NY, and the Public Library had an exhibit on children's books. It was brilliant.

Check this out.

Name:  131126 NYPL Goodnight Moon 560.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  67.6 KB

I was once in a library in Baton Rouge that shall remain nameless, and I asked the Librarian where the card catalog was, and she said “I don’t know what that is”
    When we were living in Spain, I would go to the library to work. They had an old card catalog tucked off to the side, and by chance I opened it to a random location. The first card I saw was Toole's Confederacy of Dunces.

There was also a little book kiosk in one of the parks near us, only opened up a few hours a week. But among other books, stacked against the window was La conjura de los necios. Same book, in Spanish.

Speaking of books….

Does the UL library still allow members of the Alumni Association the right to check out books even if not a student?
    Not a lot of people ask, but I think it's still possible. When I first tried it, it took awhile but I finally succeeded.

I use the library for my research. I got a faculty member to sponsor me, so I also have Internet access (sort of. you now need a VPN to access the e-collections off campus). But I have to renew for that every year.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information