Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Default Re: OT: Reading

Just finished Red Sky Mourning by Jack Carr and today started Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn.

I’m getting ready to read “Out of the Shadow of Leprosy The Carville Letters and Stories of the Landry Family” by Claire Manes.

And continuously going thru The Bible, plowing thru the Old Testament presently. Reminds me of how brutal mankind can be.

Engines of Creation
    K. Eric Drexler

4. Default Re: OT: Reading

The Imperfect Church
    By Mark Cox

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    The Imperfect Church
    By Mark Cox
    I’ll put that one on my list. The business side of religion is often over valued, since we’re all flawed humans. And people forget this.

6. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I’ll put that one on my list. The business side of religion is often over valued, since we’re all flawed humans. And people forget this.
    Absolutely. If you end up reading it, let me know what you think. Mark is a good friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Figured this would be a good summer topic but couldn’t find the old thread. Please merge this in there if it’s still up Turbine.

So what is everyone reading currently? Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. As a father with a young son, that was a rough one to get through. Definitely gotta lighten it up for the next book.
    The Road was a tough, but beautiful read. A friend of mine (and Tigue Moore's nephew) is a serious reader. He thinks Cormack is one of the greatest writers ever.

For sports fans, I recently read Grisham's Playing for Pizza. I'm not a big Grisham fan (but he did hold the door for me years ago at Square Books, Oxford MS), but this one is a hoot.

A quarterback out of Iowa is washed up in the NFL at 28, and goes to play for a team in Parma, Italy. which is even funnier than if he had been sent down here to play somewhere like Gueydan or Raceland. The team only has 3 paid players, the rest play for fun. And pizza, hence the name.

Needless to say, the Italian amateurs are not sticklers for niceties like staying on their man, executing their assignments, or even the rules. The blandness of Iowa meets the spiciness of Italy; I chuckled from cover to cover.

I also read his Sooley, about a kid from Sudan who escapes the massacre of his village and most of his family, because he is on a travel team in the US. He gets into a US small college on a basketball scholarship, works very hard, and ends up playing to the top. The story has a bitter-sweet ending. Great read, too.

For any of you who want to get your kids to read, Mike Lupica writes for kids about 8-14; his heroes are usually 12 years old or so. Travel Team, Heat, Million-Dollar Throw, etc. Great reads to share with your kids.

8. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …Without checking spelling …I wrote a paper on corporal punishment and used ….spare not the rod and in loco parentis to back my pro use of this in schools….Maybe I will return with my quotes!!! …been a long time!
    Ahhh the days before kinesiology when football players "majored" in criminal justice, lol.
    I sat in between jody watkins and the big cheez in freshman criminal justice, but they were seniors, lol

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    The Road was a tough, but beautiful read.
    PS: I just finished Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon. It was one of several nuclear apocalypse books that came out about 1960, which also include Neville Shute's On the Beach, and Eugen Burdick's Failsafe; all three were best-sellers, and subsequently made into movies. After reading them, I have wondered how much of the protests of the '60's and '70's were a reaction to the stark, dark future kids were facing at that time.

Babylon was fascinating because there is not a lot of action (a great ambush shootout late in the book), but he keeps your interest up. A really good read, there's a reason it's considered a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Reminds me of how brutal mankind can be.
    Mine will ruin your day.

Maybe your life. Almost everyone we admire from history was, in fact, a monster.
    Kings, Conquerors, Psychopaths.

11. Default Re: OT: Reading

Mine will ruin your day.

Maybe your life. Almost everyone we admire from history was, in fact, a monster.
    Great author.

12. Default Re: OT: Reading

Mine will ruin your day.

Read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Great author.
    You've met him??

Lucky guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …Without checking spelling …I wrote a paper on corporal punishment and used ….spare not the rod and in loco parentis to back my pro use of this in schools….Maybe I will return with my quotes!!! …been a long time!
    Do you think Jesus would have used the rod?

15. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Figured this would be a good summer topic but couldn’t find the old thread. Please merge this in there if it’s still up Turbine.

So what is everyone reading currently? Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. As a father with a young son, that was a rough one to get through. Definitely gotta lighten it up for the next book.
    Infinite Jest

David Foster Wallace

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information