Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

1. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

"The Yale Book of Quotations"

Snippet for today's Louisiana at USM game.

Wee Willie Keeler 1872-1923
    (Baseball player 1901 quote)
    "Hit 'em where they ain't."

Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

You Can't Joke About That: Why Everything Is Funny, Nothing Is Sacred, and We're All in This Together. By Kat Timpf

Some nice selections out there gentlemen.

For All Those Men by former Louisiana Poet Laureate John Warner Smith.

If you're interested in Lafayette history, a must-read. In 1922, the Klan was threatening to take over Louisiana. A Black Lafayette farmer shot two men, killed one. and the other was the Sheriff.

The ensuring trial appears to have changed the course of Louisiana.

Short read, very important. And published by the UL Press.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    For All Those Men by former Louisiana Poet Laureate John Warner Smith.

If you're interested in Lafayette history, a must-read. In 1922, the Klan was threatening to take over Louisiana. A Black Lafayette farmer shot two men, killed one. and the other was the Sheriff.

The ensuring trial appears to have changed the course of Louisiana.

Short read, very important. And published by the UL Press.
    John now is the Executive Director for The Shadows on the Teche.

Jack Carr - Only the Dead

Just finished it. Waiting for the next season of the terminal list on Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    You Can't Joke About That: Why Everything Is Funny, Nothing Is Sacred, and We're All in This Together. By Kat Timpf
    I’ll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Just finished it. Waiting for the next season of the terminal list on Prime.
    Looking forward to season 2 and the spin off they are working on.

Been reading through The Grey Man series by Mark Graeney. Good series.

Default OT: Reading

Figured this would be a good summer topic but couldn’t find the old thread. Please merge this in there if it’s still up Turbine.

So what is everyone reading currently? Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. As a father with a young son, that was a rough one to get through. Definitely gotta lighten it up for the next book.

11. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Figured this would be a good summer topic but couldn’t find the old thread. Please merge this in there if it’s still up Turbine.

So what is everyone reading currently? Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. As a father with a young son, that was a rough one to get through. Definitely gotta lighten it up for the next book.
    The Road was a gut punch. I had to put down Blood Meridian a couple of times to get through it. The Border Trilogy was excellent as well.
    Right now I am working my way through On Desperate Ground, about the Korean War and really enjoying The Code Breaker about Jennifer Doudna and her work in gene editing. I am not usually a biography fan but I like the way Isaacson writes so I may try some of his others. BTW he is a NOLA guy.

Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post

I love all of McCarthy's books. I just finished the crossing.
    Currently reading The West bank of Greater New Orleans by Campanella.

13. Default Re: OT: Reading

I just used the rod of correction with my boys as they were growing up. That is the cardboard part between the wire on a pants hanger. The rod of correction always stayed around but was rarely, rarely used. It was amazing how much influence a useless piece of cardboard could have when presented in an effective fashion . . . Speak softly and carry the rod of correction . . .

PS: this is the only reading necessary

14. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I just used the rod of correction with my boys as they were growing up. That is the cardboard part between the wire on a pants hanger. The rod of correction always stayed around but was rarely, rarely used. It was amazing how much influence a useless piece of cardboard could have when presented in an effective fashion . . . Speak softly and carry the rod of correction . . .

…Without checking spelling …I wrote a paper on corporal punishment and used ….spare not the rod and in loco parentis to back my pro use of this in schools….Maybe I will return with my quotes!!! …been a long time!

15. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post

…Without checking spelling …I wrote a paper on corporal punishment and used ….”spareth not the rod”. and “in loco parentis”to back my pro use of this in schools….Maybe I will return with my quotes!!! …been a long time!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread Information