Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    you should try fever pitch…. the red sox movie is based on this book, but the book is actually written by a guy from London about his fandom of Arsenal.
    Either you or I are referencing the wrong book.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Either you or I are referencing the wrong book.
    sorry i didnt see your post. I didnt think i was referencing a prior post but saw esqueleto there and thought he liked soccer

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    you should try fever pitch…. the red sox movie is based on this book, but the book is actually written by a guy from London about his fandom of Arsenal.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'd probably love it

4. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

. . . all these books . . .

Manhunt by James Patterson.

Islam: A Short History by Karen Armstrong.

I am reading now "With the Old Breed at Pelelieu and Okinawa", by Eugene Sledge. His memoirs of the time from before his enlistment to when he got out of the Marines during WWII. Absolutely riveting. The series The Pacific was based on a lot of this book.

If you like WWII history then I have read "Pursuit, the chase and sinking of the Bismark" a first hand account by Ludovic Kennedy who was on one of the ships in the Royal Navy that sank the Bismark. And Patton,. Ordeal and Triumph by Ladislas Farago. Both are excellent reads.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I am reading now "With the Old Breed at Pelelieu and Olinawa", by Eugene Sledge. His memoirs of the time from before his enlistment to when he got out of the Marines during WWII. Absolutely riveting. The series The Pacific was based on a lot of this book.

If you like WWII history then I have read "Pursuit, the chase and sinking of the Bismark" a first hand account by Ludovic Kennedy who was on one of the ships in the Royal Navy that sank the Bismark. And Patton,. Ordeal and Triumph by Ladislas Farago. Both are excellent reads.
    In the Sledge book, any discussion of the Admiralty Islands?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    In the Sledge book, any discussion of the Admiralty Islands?
    Not that I remember. Of course I am not finished yet. The book is his memoirs of his experience on Pelelieu and Okinawa. So far it is a great read. I saw an interview of him when he recounted what was going through his mind as he was being transported to the beaches of Pelelieu. His quote was "everything in my life prior to that moment paled in comparison to what he was about to experience." It was almost as if he was being reborn. In the series "The Pacific" they showed the amtracks coming out into the sun from the dark belly of the LST's. Almost like they were being born. When I saw that I said "they got it" It was very symbolic of them being born to a new life unlike what they knew before. For some the new life was minutes, for others it was for years. Just a matter of luck.

I was once in a library in Baton Rouge that shall remain nameless, and I asked the Librarian where the card catalog was, and she said “I don’t know what that is”

I remember having to learn the Dewey decimal system in my first year here. Ain’t dere no more

A book about Neil Armstrong.

13. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Scars and Stripes

Tim Kennedy

Great read.

14. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

…Hope everybody has read “Dr Mary’s Monkey” and “Lee and Me”…the current DOJ/FBI/Congress/media situation is a repeat of JFK’s days!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    True Believer by Jack Carr
    Reading True Believer and Savage Son next.

Currently reading Fire and Blood by George RR Martin.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information