Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Default Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Jim Ross.BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICKUP!

Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of this book and know if it came out or when will it be coming out?
    Frenchie by Jason Theriot

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/ab.on-theriot-phd
    An interesting note on that, something some of you already know. The reason the Cajuns were such great assets wasn't just because they were fluent in French.

It's also because, even though they were three-and-a-half centuries removed from the Anjou and Poitou regions of France, with very minimal training (e.g., if I remember correctly, the Cajuns say barre la porte, literally 'bar the door,' but the French in that area say barre à clé 'bar it with a key', the result of newer technologies), they could drop them in the middle of those two départements and the locals couldn't tell they were American.

For those of you who dabble in languages, that is really weird. The languages should have begun diverging, but they didn't.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Just finished "Hillbilly Elegy" by Congressman J.D. Vance. A pretty gripping story of a kid born into a poor, country family who worked his way out of it into Ohio State University and then Yale Law School. A real American Dream story.

4. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

For those of you who dabble in languages, that is really weird. The languages should have begun diverging, but they didn't.
    You would expect a divergence on par with the divergence we see since the King James Bible till now. 1612

Since the Cajuns left France. 1604.

I'm going pick up some bouidin at the "shambles."

Default Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Just finished "Hillbilly Elegy" by Congressman J.D. Vance. A pretty gripping story of a kid born into a poor, country family who worked his way out of it into Ohio State University and then Yale Law School. A real American Dream story.
    For a book with a similar story line, check out Rick Bragg's All Over but the Shoutin'. Man, can he write; there are just stunning passages throughout (including a heart-breaking story he filed from New Orleans, an interview with the mother of a child who had died from a stray bullet in a gunfight).

There's a reason he won a Pulitzer. Great read.

6. Default Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Brian Shannon's Maximizing Trading Gains with Anchored Vwap - a real barn burner I tell ya

7. Default Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    ….Our next VP is a Hillbilly…lot better than our present smiley

8. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    PS: I just finished Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon. It was one of several nuclear apocalypse books that came out about 1960, which also include Neville Shute's On the Beach, and Eugen Burdick's Failsafe; all three were best-sellers, and subsequently made into movies. After reading them, I have wondered how much of the protests of the '60's and '70's were a reaction to the stark, dark future kids were facing at that time.

Babylon was fascinating because there is not a lot of action (a great ambush shootout late in the book), but he keeps your interest up. A really good read, there's a reason it's considered a classic.
    One Second After is in this same vein. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/.nav_sb_ss_1_16
    Alas, Babylon is probably the standard bearer for this genre IMO

Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    One Second After is in this same vein. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/.nav_sb_ss_1_16
    Alas, Babylon is probably the standard bearer for this genre IMO
    I’m enjoying working through that series. Not the best by any means but I like the post apocalyptic world building.

10. Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I’m enjoying working through that series. Not the best by any means but I like the post apocalyptic world building.
    The Postman was pretty good as was The Dog Stars. As a matter of fact, I think I would put The Dog Stars at the top of the list instead of Alas Babylon. Much more personal story concentrated on the two guys who survived together. I might have to re-read.

Default Re: OT: Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    The Postman was pretty good as was The Dog Stars. As a matter of fact, I think I would put The Dog Stars at the top of the list instead of Alas Babylon. Much more personal story concentrated on the two guys who survived together. I might have to re-read.
    Going to add to my list.

12. Default Re: Current Book Reading or Recently Read

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ….Our next VP is a Hillbilly…lot better than our present smiley
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly_Elegy

Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You would expect a divergence on par with the divergence we see since the King James Bible till now. 1612

Since the Cajuns left France. 1604.

I'm going pick up some bouidin at the "shambles."
    Speaking of the KJ Bible, we’re in a Bible study where guys have varying versions. It’s interesting, for one example, the editing of a NIV Bible in the last 20 years. The use of “and women/female” added to the phrase “men/male” and the use of the collective “they/them”.

14. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Speaking of the KJ Bible, we’re in a Bible study where guys have varying versions. It’s interesting, for one example, the editing of a NIV Bible in the last 20 years. The use of “and women/female” added to the phrase “men/male” and the use of the collective “they/them”.
    English is a moving language, as long as it keeps the original meaning based on how we talk now without trying to hide truth, Im all for it.

15. Default Re: CURRENT BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    There is a website called bible hub where you can type in a verse and see all the translations laid out together on same page

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information