Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons for 2023 Football Optimism

Default Re: Some Post Game, Christmas Holiday Optimism for Ragin Cajuns Football

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    That wasn't his sales pitch, it was Maggard's. Like a number of people on this forum you have been grossly misinformed or refuse to listen to common sense. Either way CDS has long since kicked in on this subject.
    That's the word coming from the cox building... How else should everyone else take it?

At the end of the day regardless what happen.. Dez does not get a free pass this past year nor should he.

Default Re: Some Post Game, Christmas Holiday Optimism for Ragin Cajuns Football

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    They are similar in this manner. As you said CBN walked into a program with 63 scholarship players, he finished the season 7-6 after getting whipped by Tulane in a bowl game that season. So, for some people it's relevant to point out CBN's obstacles during his first season and measuring his success, but it's not relevant to point out that the program lost over 40 athletes from transferring, graduation, injury and academics after CBN left and also gutted the program's football support staff in every department when accessing Coach Desormeaux's first season.

While the circumstances are different, they are equally important in evaluating the differences between the two coaches first season. The difference is 7-6, and 6-7 in record. That's one game.
    But T, don't you think it's fair to speculate with a hire of a Lanning, Monken, or other coordinator from a P5 with coordinator/coaching experience and a FAR broader reach in being able to hire a better, more experienced staff would've yielded better results? Certainly not crazy to think that. Especially when looking at games where some very questionable play calling/game management likely cost us some games. I can even understand why the administration felt they needed to lie about the reasoning for the Des hire, being for financial reasons and not to "keep the culture". But to just blindly say, Des was the best possible hire is hard for most to swallow....UNLESS it was because Des was the best hire for the money we had available.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    But T, don't you think it's fair to speculate with a hire of a Lanning, Monken, or other coordinator from a P5 with coordinator/coaching experience and a FAR broader reach in being able to hire a better, more experienced staff would've yielded better results? Certainly not crazy to think that. Especially when looking at games where some very questionable play calling/game management likely cost us some games. I can even understand why the administration felt they needed to lie about the reasoning for the Des hire, being for financial reasons and not to "keep the culture". But to just blindly say, Des was the best possible hire is hard for most to swallow....UNLESS it was because Des was the best hire for the money we had available.
    The last sentence. That is it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I’m excited as hell for next season, and I am not a football season ticket holder. But I will be for 2023 x4
    Great to hear, RedTails! Love to have you as a season ticket holder!

I’m very excited for next season. I think we are going to make some serious noise in the SBC.

To everyone pouring on Dez, let the man have a normal offseason. What he had to navigate in the Spring of ‘22 was very difficult. 6-7 is not a successful season and I expect better, but give the man some time. If the team continues mediocrity and giving away games late in ‘23, by all means voice your displeasure.

Dan Lanning is the head coach at Oregon…Oregon people. Making $5 million a year and assistant pool of $7 million. Only thing that could have happened with that is publicity nightmare embarrassment. Worse than our OC using a company vehicle to drive to Latech to take a job

6. Default Re: Some Post Game, Christmas Holiday Optimism for Ragin Cajuns Football

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    The last sentence. That is it.
    It kills me to agree with this guy, but you know he is right . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Great to hear, RedTails! Love to have you as a season ticket holder!

I’m very excited for next season. I think we are going to make some serious noise in the SBC.

To everyone pouring on Dez, let the man have a normal offseason. What he had to navigate in the Spring of ‘22 was very difficult. 6-7 is not a successful season and I expect better, but give the man some time. If the team continues mediocrity and giving away games late in ‘23, by all means voice your displeasure.
    And what will a normal off season be comprised of? All this talk about Napier gutting the team is a joke. Guys simply moved on because they graduated, or had better opportunities else where. This season besides whatever coaches are replaced & whoever transfers out, the team loses Landry & Nelson on the D. Line to go along with Moncrief Hill-Greene & Quibodaux not to mention Trahan & one of the best return men in the country in Garror. Top that off with Lumpkin & Jefferson & those are huge impact players. They all have to be replaced. I'd like to know how this team is going to improve so much when there's even more confusion now at QB & the very best of your defense won't be there to keep you in games when your offense is stumbling around like a blind man. The fact is Mike was hand picked for this job for the specific purpose of maintaining continuity & continuing a certain level of play on the field. It reminds me of another Mike who was hired about 35 years ago in a similar situation. about 50 miles down the road. That didn't pan out for those guys either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    And what will a normal off season be comprised of? All this talk about Napier gutting the team is a joke. Guys simply moved on because they graduated, or had better opportunities else where. This season besides whatever coaches are replaced & whoever transfers out, the team loses Landry & Nelson on the D. Line to go along with Moncrief Hill-Greene & Quibodaux not to mention Trahan & one of the best return men in the country in Garror. Top that off with Lumpkin & Jefferson & those are huge impact players. They all have to be replaced. I'd like to know how this team is going to improve so much when there's even more confusion now at QB & the very best of your defense won't be there to keep you in games when your offense is stumbling around like a blind man. The fact is Mike was hand picked for this job for the specific purpose of maintaining continuity & continuing a certain level of play on the field. It reminds me of another Mike who was hired about 35 years ago in a similar situation. about 50 miles down the road. That didn't pan out for those guys either.
    A normal offseason would consist of the Head Coach not having to patch up holes within his department every other day for the better part of two months because they were leaving him for greener pastures. We lost a TON of playmakers to the portal and that will not happen nearly to that degree this offseason.

To your point about losing playmakers on the defensive side of the ball, it’s expected…they no longer have eligibility. There is nothing Dez can do about it but at least he has hindsight on the matter. He won’t be “blindsided” like last year. Yes, those names you mentioned are serious players but I’m confident we are deep enough at those positions to take the right step forward. I was really impressed with some of the younger players on defense this year. I expect the same in ‘23.

UNLESS it was because Des was the best hire for the money we had available.

How would the general public know, since the interviewed coaches names weren’t ever released?

10. Default Re: Some Post Game, Christmas Holiday Optimism for Ragin Cajuns Football

The interviewed coach’s request for confidentiality that the interview occurred trumps the fan’s need to know . . .

11. Default Re: Some Post Game, Christmas Holiday Optimism for Ragin Cajuns Football

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The interviewed coach’s request for confidentiality that the interview occurred trumps the fan’s need to know . . .
    What is this, Hire HIPPA?

It made the administration kick out a knee thinking we can't hire an up and comer, we be better hurry and go internal before our last chance jumps ship.

I happen to think they made the perfect choice by accident.

"By accident"....UL Athletic Dept motto...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Fair enough. Then release the exact number of interviewed coaches. At least make it “look” like a nationwide search was conducted.

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    UNLESS it was because Des was the best hire for the money we had available.

How would the general public know, since the interviewed coaches names weren’t ever released?
    It is none of the public business who applied or was interviewed. Remember the 4500 or so fans at the last home game. I don't see a whole lot of fans caring or needing to know.

15. Default Re: Some Post Game, Christmas Holiday Optimism for Ragin Cajuns Football

Quit trying to sound like Vic . . .

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information