Thread: Why there's optimism for Louisiana football following Independence Bowl loss

1. UL Football Why there's optimism for Louisiana football following Independence Bowl loss

When Michael Desormeaux was tabbed to succeed Billy Napier, the initial signal telegraphed that the Louisiana football program would be a work in progress in 2022.

Default Re: Why there's optimism for Louisiana football following Independence Bowl loss

Not for RPCA eyes.

Default Re: Why there's optimism for Louisiana football following Independence Bowl loss

One of his better written articles

Some good points.

We have talent. There wasn’t a team outside of FSU that we could not compete with this year. I think had we’d been losing games to peer schools by 2+ scores like we had done in the past in bad years, it would have obviously been a concern.

A lot of the younger guys really started getting on the stat sheet towards the end of the year. If the 2023 recruiting class pans out, the talent should still be there.

The big one for me is the coaching learning curve. They can script out a half, but can they coach a full game? Not looking at Lamar, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Some good points.

We have talent. There wasn’t a team outside of FSU that we could not compete with this year. I think had we’d been losing games to peer schools by 2+ scores like we had done in the past in bad years, it would have obviously been a concern.

A lot of the younger guys really started getting on the stat sheet towards the end of the year. If the 2023 recruiting class pans out, the talent should still be there.

The big one for me is the coaching learning curve. They can script out a half, but can they coach a full game? Not looking at Lamar, btw.
    Excellent point. I think this thing comes together for Des and Staff next year and we get back in the SBC championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Some good points.

A lot will depend on the maturation of the OL. No position group had a larger drop off in play, although it was to be expected since we lost the entire right side of the line. The biggest issues this year was not being able to consistently run the ball. A lot of the "bad calls" in the red zone this year were TD's in previous years. IMHO we need to search the portal to find a consistent starter at Center and RG.

7. UL Football Re: Why there's optimism for Louisiana football following Independence Bowl loss

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    A lot will depend on the maturation of the OL. No position group had a larger drop off in play, although it was to be expected since we lost the entire right side of the line. The biggest issues this year was not being able to consistently run the ball. A lot of the "bad calls" in the red zone this year were TD's in previous years. IMHO we need to search the portal to find a consistent starter at Center and RG.
    I believe they trust Burton. We also have several younger linemen who they believe in that were injured too badly to bring in this season.

Hopefully Burton returns with confidence in his recovery, and the others as well.

My point is maybe you’re right, but we actually don’t know the whole story. We do know CMD isn’t taking portal problems and if one sneaks in, it’s probably only one year eligibility.

Very Large majority of 2 deep will be backadd in all the red shirts plus I believe another 2-3 experienced transfers likely in January. Outlook for '23 is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Not for RPCA eyes.
    I'm pretty optimistic about next year. If Fields and Ben are still here and healthy, it will be an interesting battle for QB1 with Zeon pushing for that spot as well. Is Ben even healthy and ready to go for game 1? How do you see this playing out?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    I'm pretty optimistic about next year. If Fields and Ben are still here and healthy, it will be an interesting battle for QB1 with Zeon pushing for that spot as well. Is Ben even healthy and ready to go for game 1? How do you see this playing out?
    IF, Ben can return to form, which is tough to do with an ACL.i just think that's a big IF.missing spring is huge.as we've seen with other positions who have missedIts going to be a big spring for CF and ZCIf the old Ben shows up in August ready to roll, it's going to be his job

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Agreed OL was biggest issue. However they did improve as season progressed. Can that continue next season? If so, results will improve in 2023.

IF, Ben can return to form, which is tough to do with an ACL.i just think that's a big IF.missing spring is huge.as we've seen with other positions who have missedIts going to be a big spring for CF and ZCIf the old Ben shows up in August ready to roll, it's going to be his job
    Ben will not be the opening day starter.

It should go to whoever proves the best QB.

Louisiana will return to the Conference Championship Game in ‘23! I feel we win the West.

What’s your reason for optimism? Will Louisiana have enough money to house players during fall camp? The 23’ team might actually learn to win together instead of losing the leads.

Thread Information