Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst . 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: I-Bowl Final: Louisiana 16, Houston 23

Default Re: I-Bowl Final: Louisiana 16, Houston 23

My sincerest apologies if someone mentioned this already…. but what was the deal with the timeouts at half and end of game, it felt like we called timeout in situations that they should have?

Chris smith fumbled with 8:00 to go inside the 10 yard line. If that isn’t the major turning point of a close game I don’t know what is. Say it’s a team game all you want that one play severely impacted our chances in this game

That was also Chris smiths fourth game of his career with 2+ funbles

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun97 View Post
    Chris smith fumbled with 8:00 to go inside the 10 yard line. If that isn’t the major turning point of a close game I don’t know what is. Say it’s a team game all you want that one play severely impacted our chances in this game
    Severely impacting our chances to win and him costing us the game are different things. Costing us the game puts all 60 minutes squarely on his shoulders. Chris Smith is not responsible for every failure throughout that football game, and there were plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …What was the deal on LeBlanc’s near TD……came back well on the ball and looked like he almost had it but maybe defender knocked it…would have been a huge play for us!
    Looked the the CB just knocked it out. That play and the Johnson drop in the back of the end zone before halftime we’re tough. Both difficult catches to make but gotta bring them down. Would have made it 24-6 at Halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Severely impacting our chances to win and him costing us the game are different things. Costing us the game puts all 60 minutes squarely on his shoulders. Chris Smith is not responsible for every failure throughout that football game, and there were plenty.
    Including the mis management of timeouts at end of 1st half. Why would we call a timeout after a roughing the passer penalty with the time stopped. Save that one in the bag to get off another play or keep the run game open.

Including all the stupid personal fouls at key situations.

Including refusing to get the ball to the TE’s once again after the TD by Lumpkin.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Including the mis management of timeouts at end of 1st half. Why would we call a timeout after a roughing the passer penalty with the time stopped. Save that one in the bag to get off another play or keep the run game open.

Including refusing to get the ball to the TE’s once again.
    Could not figure that TO out. Should’ve been on the ball for a quick pass after the roughing. Des needs to give up play calling because that and his game management at the end of halves has been atrocious. He clearly can’t handle both.

I was proud of the defense. Other than 3 or 4 big plays that occurred in the secondary, they were solid enough to win the game. Especially when the Offense gives up the ball and sputters. Zeon reminded me of Levi with a true RPO play. Coaching needs to improve because the players did not change after halftime, the UH staff adjusted and we did not.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    The defense responded after that fumble but it was absolutely a game changing moment. Had great momentum with that drive and even 3 points should have been scored but I really believe we get 7 there. Our inability to score TDs just put too much pressure on the D in the end. As others have said this has been a problem much of the season. Time for the team (coaches and players) to move forward and learn from these mistakes so we don’t repeat them in ‘23.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …What was the deal on LeBlanc’s near TD……came back well on the ball and looked like he almost had it but maybe defender knocked it…would have been a huge play for us!
    I’m getting ready to rewatch the game. when watching in person, you miss a lot.
    And the big screen at the game you just can’t see very well when they do show a replay. I know there was one touchdown he drop but it looked like the defender was draped on him.

Default Re: UL vs UH Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    If you watched this game and your main concern is on the defensive side of the ball I do not know what to tell you.
    When you play man and get after the QB with success then drop into zone and rush 3 without success, and it’s happened before this game, that’s a concern long term.

12. Default Re: I-Bowl Final: Louisiana 16, Houston 23

When you separate your allegiance and hope, you can objectively see this year's team was undisciplined. The bowl was a clear indication of the season.better than the opponent, but unable to close the game out.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post

Including refusing to get the ball to the TE’s once again after the TD by Lumpkin.
    I think that TO was called as soon as the play ended and Dez didn’t see the flag on the ground.

14. Default Re: I-Bowl Final: Louisiana 16, Houston 23

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_in_NM View Post
    When you separate your allegiance and hope, you can objectively see this year's team was undisciplined. The bowl was a clear indication of the season.better than the opponent, but unable to close the game out.
    Got to get those sleeping arrangements in camp right and everything else will fall in line . . .

Default Re: UL vs UH Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    When you play man and get after the QB with success then drop into zone and rush 3 without success, and it’s happened before this game, that’s a concern long term.
    Amen! Over and over this year.
    I cashed out my money line bet on the Cajuns when it was clear they were playing not to lose on Defense. Why change what was working in the first half that shut Houston out?

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst . 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread Information