Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

1. Default Re: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Exactly! Yet he had not rankings, right? I admit that I'm not tracking Cajun recruiting every waking hour like I use to do. I simply do not have the passion for it now that it has become like free agency with the Transfer Portal. I do have people that are still in the recruiting game at Missouri, SMU and Georgia that I can call and get opinions on recruits.

When looking at the list of recruits that have flipped to other schools, I'm supposed to believe this staff can't recruit?

Carpenter - LSU
    Horne - Texas Tech
    Cannon- Tulane
    Martin- UTSA
    Blood- Missouri
    Fobbs- offers Tulane, UAB

The two consistents in this list are P5 programs, or ones that have had really good seasons like Tulane and UTSA. Yes, winning matters and it certainly hurts the Cajuns this year. There is no denying that simple fact.

No one is going to convince me at this point Louisiana Tech, which has lost it's number 1 WR, RB and OL in the portal is kicking our butt. They are not at this point and no one from the SBC is stealing our commitments. We've lost some head-to-head battles with other SBC programs, but no one is stealing our commitments.

https://latech.rivals.com/

Some people have mentioned Troy and a few others getting transfers in the portal from G5 programs. Two questions come immediately to my mind, 1) Does someone on the staff have a connection with those athletes 2) Or could it be they couldn't cut it at their previous program. Don't get it twisted because of they came from a P5 program, you think they are good. No one knows how good any of those transfers are, but they automatically get bent out of shape.

OL- Anderson - Nebraska
    WR- Stephens - TCU
    OL- Ohonba- Michigan State
    RB- Kabodi - Texas A & M- Lamar

How many starters and all conference players in this group of P5 transfers?
    Kabodi was not at Lamar, he was at Incarnate Word, but never played a down there, I believe.

2. Default Re: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    ... If we are still under 2k RCAF, it is not new waters. That has been the number for several years. Even with RCAF staff that left, under 2k was the number.
    If RCAF wasn't under the thumb off the University, they could hire at will.

Default Re: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If RCAF wasn't under the thumb off the University, they could hire at will.
    This should be two separate operations.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Kabodi was not at Lamar, he was at Incarnate Word, but never played a down there, I believe.
    Thanks, it was Incarnate Word where he sat out. In any case, it doesn't change the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    That comment was in response to someone suggesting that Des should clean house of some assistance and hire new ones nothing to do with recruiting players.

But if you want to talk about player recruitment. All of Des’ commits are from the normal radius of what they typically recruit. The difference is when Napier was recruiting it the kids he got had bigger P5 and high level G5 offers. Des’ commits have Swac, south land and DII offers. Anyone who can’t see the drop off in recruiting at this point and is not alarmed by it is not paying attention.
    We finished 10th last year once Napier left. According to the metrics that people are focusing on, 247 has UL 6th ahead of Troy, Marshall, James Madison and South Alabama.

https://app.247sports.com/Season/202...Conference=SBC

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Coach Dez said this morning that he plans to focus on HS kids as that is how he believes you build a program for the long term. Of course you have to keep them here once you get them here. You also have to develop your talent. The improvement made by the OL this year as the season went along indicates to me they have the capability to have their guys improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Coach Dez said this morning that he plans to focus on HS kids as that is how he believes you build a program for the long term. Of course you have to keep them here once you get them here. You also have to develop your talent. The improvement made by the OL this year as the season went along indicates to me they have the capability to have their guys improve.
    If you recruit only high school and lose guys to the portal and replace those guys with high school guys, you will be in a forever rebuilding mode. You have to go out and get some immediate fixes this day and age. I hope mike wakes up and sees that.

8. Default Re: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

If you recruit only high school and lose guys to the portal and replace those guys with high school guys, you will be in a forever rebuilding mode. You have to go out and get some immediate fixes this day and age. I hope mike wakes up and sees that.
    Nothing wrong with the HS approach being a core philosophy, but you are absolutely right.

In this era, coaches need to stay 100% aware in order to pounce on the emergency fix.

Unreached potential and unexpected injuries demand it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Other D1 offers: PVAMU, Alcorn, Nicholls, Sam Houston, SFA, NMSU

Community college D-Lineman; 6'2" 270
    You gotta trust the coach on this one. Just like he knew something about playing 2 QBs that 99.9 % of the rest of the college football coaching world didn’t. He also sees the the talent that no other FBS coaches see either, except for the juggernaut that is NMSTU.

You gotta trust the coach on this one. Just like he knew something about playing 2 QBs that 99.9 % of the rest of the college football coaching world didn’t. He also sees the the talent that no other FBS coaches see either, except for the juggernaut that is NMSTU.
    LOL! OK

I agree with you assessment for the OL, Mike.

Also, I believe that guys that you bring in and develop into starters after a few years in your program are less likely to leave to chase more NIL money.

12. Default Re: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

Also, I believe that guys that you bring in and develop into starters after a few years in your program are less likely to leave to chase more NIL money.
    Once a transfer always a transfer ... I get it.

Then again, show me the money and watch me travel is right on the transfers tails.

I assume coaches and schools are keeping track of players that transfer in the portal and what percentage of those have more football success and what perectage of those just have a distant memory of what their football career once was. Over time, that statistic might slow down the portal just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

We will take portal guys and JUCO players to fill needs. It's not like we never will bring those guys in. Coach Dez's philosophy is to focus on HS and bring in other guys as needed. Now a key to this strategy is to be able to retain a high percentage of the guys you bring in. Even before the portal rules changed, on average only 10 guys of a HS class of 25 were at their original school by Year 4. Bucking that trend in the age of the portal is a challenge I admit. Coach did say in his most recent interview that his strategy is built on a long term view. He wants the program to reach a level of consistent success.

Here is another point regarding portal transfers. Once you bring one in, they stay on your 85 limit until their eligibility ends. I presume if they graduate before eligibility ends you are no longer bound to that scholarship.

15. Default Re: Kadarius Miller - Football Commit

We will take portal guys and JUCO players to fill needs. It's not like we never will bring those guys in. Coach Dez's philosophy is to focus on HS and bring in other guys as needed. Now a key to this strategy is to be able to retain a high percentage of the guys you bring in. Even before the portal rules changed, on average only 10 guys of a HS class of 25 were at their original school by Year 4. Bucking that trend in the age of the portal is a challenge I admit. Coach did say in his most recent interview that his strategy is built on a long term view. He wants the program to reach a level of consistent success.

Here is another point regarding portal transfers. Once you bring one in, they stay on your 85 limit until their eligibility ends. I presume if they graduate before eligibility ends you are no longer bound to that scholarship.
    You’re being too fact based logical again. The RPCA prefers shooting off the hip.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information