Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

Default Re: For You Recruiting Debbie Downers....

I think it is time to scrap the term "Student Athlete". That term has always annoyed me. I think the Portal and NIL have proven that these guys (most of them) go to college to play ball. Going to class is just something that they are required to do to stay eligible while working on their game or looking where to transfer to. If degrees in General Studies, Sociology, Criminal Justice and Kinesiology, were eliminated, it would be very interesting to see how many would actually remain eligible and earn a degree!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    No one's talking about the 5 guys ranked as 3 stars. It's the 10 with zero rank. Is it the end all, be all? No. Are there outliers? Of course. And people keep bringing up Kamryn Waites. Well, to my knowledge, he hasn't proved anything yet. But it proves the point. 2/3 of our commits are complete projects. People can put their head in the sand and sunshine pump if they wish, but the truth is staring back at us. Our recruiting has taken a nose dive. It is what it is.
    So people that are optimistic and supportive of the coaching staff are sunshine pumpers? The facts are that the four highest rated recruits in Ragin' Cajun history, per 247, were signed or committed to this coaching staff: Dubose, Edwards, Horne and Anderson. I understand your argument that the ratings depth may not be apparent, but the top end talent is better than has ever been committed.

Default Re: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

But the student athletes in the past who got Physical Ed degrees were scholars?? Hmmm
    Kinesiology is the main feed into Phys Therapy and Chiropractic medicine. Not an easy path.
    I understand your concern but don’t think we have many easy degrees anymore.

4. Default Re: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    But the student athletes in the past who got Physical Ed degrees were scholars?? Hmmm
    Kinesiology is the main feed into Phys Therapy and Chiropractic medicine. Not an easy path.
    Underwater basket weaving is not offered anymore . . .

5. Default Re: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

General Business. Business management,Education, political science, and any number of liberal arts degrees.

Wouldn’t it be much more beneficial if it were possible for some guys to learn a trade while they are here instead of the alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I think it is time to scrap the term "Student Athlete". That term has always annoyed me. I think the Portal and NIL have proven that these guys (most of them) go to college to play ball. Going to class is just something that they are required to do to stay eligible while working on their game or looking where to transfer to. If degrees in General Studies, Sociology, Criminal Justice and Kinesiology, were eliminated, it would be very interesting to see how many would actually remain eligible and earn a degree!
    Gerald George, Peggy Alciatore, and numerous physics instructors hello.
    - Signed Kinesiology Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    General Business. Business management,Education, political science, and any number of liberal arts degrees.
    I finished in Civil Engr in the 60s. I’m really glad it was then. Students today are facing a load from an elite faculty. I know that because I’ve taught with them. They take courses in other colleges. None are easy As. Not the same school you and I attended, Jerry.
    We can discuss the usefulness of the degrees but most of our student athletes struggle with courses in certain degree areas not because of difficulty but because of time constraints on labs and project design. Time devoted to being an elite athlete and an engineering, nursing, architectural student, etc are really difficult. A few can handle it but there are a lot of non-athletes who struggle with the time management part of it.

9. Default Re: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

I finished in Civil Engr in the 60s. I’m really glad it was then. Students today are facing a load from an elite faculty. I know that because I’ve taught with them. They take courses in other colleges. None are easy As. Not the same school you and I attended, Jerry.
    We can discuss the usefulness of the degrees but most of our student athletes struggle with courses in certain degree areas not because of difficulty but because of time constraints on labs and project design. Time devoted to being an elite athlete and an engineering, nursing, architectural student, etc are really difficult. A few can handle it but there are a lot of non-athletes who struggle with the time management part of it.
    The typical student doesn’t have the tutoring, time management assistant, preferred scheduling, preferred instructors that the athletes get. It’s still a tremendous burden to do anything after these practice sessions. I’m tipping my hat to them all.

10. Default Re: For You Recruiting Debbie Downers....

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    Gerald George, Peggy Alciatore, and numerous physics instructors hello.
    - Signed Kinesiology Graduate
    ……lGerry George was a Jesuit HS Nola grad that excelled at gymnastics…..college Mich St I think ….great guy!

Phenomenal guy and instructor to many Kinesiology. His classes were no cakewalk.

Nothing wrong with a Business Degree.

13. Default Re: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Nothing wrong with a Business Degree.
    Not a thing wrong with a general business degree, or many other business degrees but they aren’t very difficult.

Not a thing wrong with a general business degree, or many other business degrees but they aren’t very difficult.
    You forgot Mass Communications...

15. Default Re: Recruiting Updates 22-12-15...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    You forgot Mass Communications...
    Clearly we don’t do a good job with this major. Nobody in Lafayette knew when we played a home game, nobody in the stadium knew we were SBC champions in 2021, and nobody in Lafayette knows we’re playing a bowl game in Shreveport.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information