Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread: Final: Louisiana 75, Samford 58

Default Re: Final: Louisiana 75, Samford 58

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    It’s a sad day in Cajun land when one comes on this board an says they are pulling against athletes wearing Louisiana cross their chest. That’s just not right.
    Let’s clarify…a former athlete pulling against a current coaching staff. Because this staff has become a detriment to the overall health of the basketball program.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Let’s clarify…a former athlete pulling against a current coaching staff. Because this staff has become a detriment to the overall health of the basketball program.
    It's bad when MBB is 5th on the importance chart at a university.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    I was most impressed with how we consistently handled Furmans pressure when inbounding the ball. Don’t remember one oops. I know we prepared for it. It worked. Also liked hitting some pressure threes. At critical times.
    Also impressed with our conditioning and depth. Furman pressured for 57 minutes. Our team last year would have lost to Furman. This was a good test for us. McNeese and the really big test await.
    When did they play Furman? Was this a secret game that nobody knew about?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    The current players don't think so. They play hard for each other and their coaches. Granted they don't always play well. Note there has been quite a turnover on the staff in recent months. The lead assistant is in his second year as is the strength and conditioning coach. Two other assistants are in their first year. There is also a new video coordinator. I don't know if this turnover is responsible for what appears to be improved play to date but the new guys do bring things from Alabama, Texas, and Texas Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    It's bad when MBB is 5th on the importance chart at a university.
    5th? GTFOH. Football, baseball, basketball. I count 3rd. Basketball has more season tickets and eyes than softball no matter what you think.

If one pulls for Bob Marlin (or any coach) to fail, their failure happens when the team fails.

Some will still try to polish the “it’s separate” turd.

Box score

https://ragincajuns.com/sports/mens-.boxscore/12240

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    5th? GTFOH. Football, baseball, basketball. I count 3rd. Basketball has more season tickets and eyes than softball no matter what you think.
    Uh oh you f’d up now A-Aron!!

Makes little to no sense to be pulling against the current team in the regular season. Dr. Maggard clearly established this past season that those few games in March are all that matters. 8th place finish in a 1 bid 16 seed league. I could see it if there was a standard to be met, and one terrible season could get us out of purgatory. There are zero standards with this program. Schedule a bunch of non D1s. Decimate them. Tweet out some "Believe the Hype" nonsense. Boost the winning percentage. When it's still not what it should be, just lie about it.

Two choices: stay home or show up for Louisiana. I'm doing the latter.with less and less enthusiasm every year. Our athletic department doesn't seem to care. Not sure why I should at this point. Have to continuously remind myself that the university is bigger than any one player, coach, or administrator. They'll all be gone eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Have to continuously remind myself that the university is bigger than any one player, coach, or administrator. They'll all be gone eventually.
    Agreed. No one is bigger than the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Football, baseball, softball, and volleyball are out drawing MBB. Less than a 1000 folks at a MBB D1 game is weak. No way to sugar coat this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Football, baseball, softball, and volleyball are out drawing MBB. Less than a 1000 folks at a MBB D1 game is weak. No way to sugar coat this.
    That’s a big negative on the last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    That’s a big negative on the last 2.
    Let’s just look at social media presence.

Basketball:
    Instagram 4428 followers.
    Facebook 2500 followers
    Twitter 9500 followers

Softball
    Instagram 8256 followers
    Facebook 12745 followers
    Twitter 22500 followers

Volleyball
    Instagram 4058 followers
    Facebook 2100 followers
    Twitter 3061 followers

So from a social media standpoint our least popular sport is on the heels of our 2nd most popular sport. Is easily on a better trajectory than basketball and has a better social media presence considering it’s a niche sport.

There is zero casual support for basketball and a rapidly dying, literally and figuratively, core support for basketball.

If football is the front porch, then basketball is the steps and they are broken.

13. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 75, Samford 58

I'm not going to pretend like I've been following MBB, but I have watched some. Namely, Harvard, Tech and a little of Samford. So you guys can take this as an outside view.

First, M$M standing his ground is good to see. I think we see the same thing in terms of what kind of potential this roster has. Lewis is the missing ingredient this program has missed for a long time. Someone compared him to B Hamilton. I think that's pretty accurate. PG play has been much better than the previous few years. If Dalcourt and Garnett continue to make shots, this team should really never struggle to score points. They have all of the pieces in place.

I don't think it's fair to expect much out of Julien. I have no idea what he will provide this team with other than toughness and leadership. If he can contribute on the court, that's just an added bonus. Seems like a good dude, so I hope he gets the best out of his physical gifts for the rest of his eligibility.

The critics are right in that we still lack quality wins on the ledger. If you're going to argue Harvard (they just beat Clemson last week), I'll raise you Drake, who just got their doors blown off by a sub .500 Richmond team. The critics are also right in saying there weren't 2600 in the dome for an 8-1 team against Samford on a Saturday night. 2600 is tickets sold and half of those tickets are purchased by the Social Club. (Y'all can get mad at me if you want, but that's a fact.) There may have been 1500 for LaTech. Apathy has set in and winning isn't fixing it. It's no secret why that may be. You can say all you want about Marlin and his "accomplishments" but the fanbase quit on the man 4 years ago.

This 2022 roster is good enough to win the league. But 2017 was good enough to make an NCAA run and we couldn't get to the conference tourney final. I don't want to hear about Stove's belly ache or Gant's sniffles. That roster was loaded and the SBC was WAY down that year. I can't really blame fans for rolling their eyes about the "hype" so far this season. This is what happens when you pump a fanbase full of propaganda and never deliver. We're a victim of our own BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The current players don't think so. They play hard for each other and their coaches. Granted they don't always play well. Note there has been quite a turnover on the staff in recent months. The lead assistant is in his second year as is the strength and conditioning coach. Two other assistants are in their first year. There is also a new video coordinator. I don't know if this turnover is responsible for what appears to be improved play to date but the new guys do bring things from Alabama, Texas, and Texas Tech.
    Wait, our leading assistant basketball coach is also the strength and conditioning coach? Is this for real?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Wait, our leading assistant basketball coach is also the strength and conditioning coach? Is this for real?
    No. He wrote "as is", not "and is"

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread Information