Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Final: Louisiana 75, Samford 58

Default Re: Louisiana vs Samford

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    Nice defensive effort. Held Samford to 58 and they average 85.
    We held them to 26 points and 2 for 10 from three in the second half. Now a few of those threes were somewhat desperation late in the game. The reason that is significant is the Samford philosophy is to drive inside for kickout threes. They shoot almost 30 per game. Overall, this may have been our best defensive effort of the year. Once again, Joe Charles is an unsung here as his defensive plays fueled the second half run which blew the game open. Note he did not score. Samford has had some tough losses recently. They lost by three to La. Tech, 2 at Depaul, and by 3 in OT at Central Florida. I don't know if they played poorly in the second half due to being on the road a lot lately or if the Cajuns just played that well. Moving on to next week. Monday night the Cajuns are at home against Louisiana Christian which used to be Louisiana College. I am sure we all wish the opponent were a D1 school but that topic has been discussed at length. Thursday night we are at McNeese. Cowboys are apparently improved this year. I don't know details of their season to date but Coach Marlin said on the post game show they recently won at Northern Iowa which can be a tough place to play. Should be interesting in Lake Charles on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yet, this team is still not good defensively. They sit at the bottom of the SBC. They will need to get better if they want to remain at the top of the league.
    They were much better in the second half tonight. Samford ended up shooting 40 percent for the game after being well above that in the first half. Also, forced some turnovers which led to us being able to separate. Agree that improvement needs to continue for the team to reach it's potential.

3. UL Basketball Re: Louisiana vs Samford

Yet, this team is still not good defensively. They sit at the bottom of the SBC. They will need to get better if they want to remain at the top of the league.
    I’m not disputing what you say, John Wooden was asked about the opponents relative high points. His explanation was if you scored at a higher level than some teams will also raise their point total. He preferred point spread to judge his defense.

That being said he was also in an era of no shot clock, and no 3 point shots. Additionally because of some insane fear of Jabbar no dunking and technicals if seen dunking in warmups and games.

Default Re: Louisiana takes on Samford

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    It has happened multiple times this year but Associated Press using Louisiana is the story.

They had been a holdout.

Unfortunately, not this time

Lewis' 19 lead Louisiana-Lafayette past Samford 75-58
    By AP
    18m ago

1 min read
    LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) Terence Lewis II's 19 points helped Louisiana-Lafayette defeat Samford 75-58 on Saturday night.

Lewis added 10 rebounds for the Ragin' Cajuns (8-1). Greg Williams Jr. shot 4 for 7, including 4 for 6 from beyond the arc to add 14 points. Kentrell Garnett finished 4 of 5 from 3-point range to finish with 12 points.

Jaden Campbell led the way for the Bulldogs (6-5) with 12 points. Jaron Rillie added 11 points and four assists for Samford. Bubba Parham also recorded nine points.

Default Re: Final: Louisiana 75, Samford 58

Samford was an impressive looking team. They played fast and hard. That was a really good win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    They were much better in the second half tonight. Samford ended up shooting 40 percent for the game after being well above that in the first half. Also, forced some turnovers which led to us being able to separate. Agree that improvement needs to continue for the team to reach it's potential.
    I watched it Mike, and I'm not disputing anything you have stated. Samford may be a good shooting team, but outside of 3 or 4 players they are not very athletic in comparison to the top of the SBC. I watched a little ODU and USM tonight. Samford isn't close to either in talent.

Default Re: Louisiana takes on Samford

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    It has happened multiple times this year but Associated Press using Louisiana is the story.

They had been a holdout.
    Here’s why they got it right…computer generated.

The Associated Press created this story using technology provided by Data Skrive and data from Sportradar.

I watched it Mike, and I'm not disputing anything you have stated. Samford may be a good shooting team, but outside of 3 or 4 players they are not very athletic in comparison to the top of the SBC. I watched a little ODU and USM tonight. Samford isn't close to either in talent.
    You were impressed watching odu last night squeak by 2-7 Gardner webb by 44-43?

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    You were impressed watching odu last night squeak by 2-7 Gardner webb by 44-43?
    T said he watched the game. Where did he say he was impressed?

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    T said he watched the game. Where did he say he was impressed?
    It was a question. He commented on odu being at the top of the conference talent wise while saying Samford wasn’t that talented. So I asked if he was impressed with odu after struggling with a weak Gardner Webb team.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    It was a question. He commented on odu being at the top of the conference talent wise while saying Samford wasn’t that talented. So I asked if he was impressed with odu after struggling with a weak Gardner Webb team.
    When will the Cajuns play a good team? These pad the stats games are gonna keep Marlin around.

When will the Cajuns play a good team? These pad the stats games are gonna keep Marlin around.
    Please

I don’t have the answer to that. All I can say is people will complain when we lose and do the same even when we win. I thought samford was a decent team. They can light it up when given the chance as anyone who watched the game could see. They reminded me a lot of Denver back in the day. Not at the top of the league in talent but could aggravate the opposing team enough to give up open shots. I guess nothing will be good enough for the fan base as long as marlin is here. I’m indifferent about it now. Didn’t help to complain cause he’s obviously not going anywhere so I just pull for the kids to win. And they have been doing that whether you or anyone wants to call a team bad or good. I could never pull against our kids period.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Please
    Or this…lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We held them to 26 points and 2 for 10 from three in the second half. Now a few of those threes were somewhat desperation late in the game. The reason that is significant is the Samford philosophy is to drive inside for kickout threes. They shoot almost 30 per game. Overall, this may have been our best defensive effort of the year. Once again, Joe Charles is an unsung here as his defensive plays fueled the second half run which blew the game open. Note he did not score. Samford has had some tough losses recently. They lost by three to La. Tech, 2 at Depaul, and by 3 in OT at Central Florida. I don't know if they played poorly in the second half due to being on the road a lot lately or if the Cajuns just played that well. Moving on to next week. Monday night the Cajuns are at home against Louisiana Christian which used to be Louisiana College. I am sure we all wish the opponent were a D1 school but that topic has been discussed at length. Thursday night we are at McNeese. Cowboys are apparently improved this year. I don't know details of their season to date but Coach Marlin said on the post game show they recently won at Northern Iowa which can be a tough place to play. Should be interesting in Lake Charles on Thursday.
    McNeese is 3-6 so far this season. Losses to Tulane, Western Carolina, Lindenwood, Baylor, UT-Martin, and Tennessee. Wins are UNI, Lamar, and a nonD1. Making the drive to LC for the game on Thursday. Excited to see McNeese’s venue. I grew up in LC. Venue close to campus was desperately needed for the Cowboys. Driving out of town to go to Burton was never ideal. I wish we could’ve done something similar in our APC. We’ll never need 6-7k of the seats in the Cajundome.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information