Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Field Game Day Experience thoughts

1. Default Cajun Field Game Day Experience thoughts

Guys,

I was just thinking out loud here and I have been to a ton of college sporting events around the country, both major P5/full arenas as well as mid majors in less than half full arenas. One thing for sure that we are missing is a game day experience for those that are not "tailgating" at Cajun Field. I think back to the hand full of LSU games I attended when my brother was a student there. There were places like Fred's, Sports Illustrated and The Bengal within a mile of the stadium to hang out before and after the game. If you take a 1 mile radius around CF, you will see Legend's on Bertrand, which is usually packed on game day before the game and somewhat afterwards as well, but it is truly the only bar in that area. Unless you count Deano's, I can't think of any other bars in that area. Now, next year we will have a beer garden built across the street from Legends and by then in the opposite direction you will have Adopted Dog Brewing which will be about a mile from the stadium. I know plans were discussed to have shopping and dining near the renovated stadium and I think this would be a tremendous idea.

A few weeks ago, after the baseball season was over, I was in Atlanta for work very close to the new Braves ballpark. Terrapin Brewing has a brewery on the Braves ballpark facility that is open year round. I went to have a beer and wings and realized that this would be an awesome experience before the game started for those people who do not have tailgate spots. We need some sort of family friendly facility near CF for those who do not have tailgate spots and want to be around other Cajun fans. Back in the day Ray's was there, but it is now a concert venue called ShoBiz and the problem with Legend's as much as I am a fan of Legend's, it is not a family friendly facility (they do not allow anyone under 21). So if I am a family that does not have a tailgate spot or someone that I know personally to hang out with and I want to grab a bite before the game with my under 21 children, I have to eat and drink at venues very far from the facility. I would much rather have a place that I can hang out at and drink and eat with my family and walk to the game after that. I think of venues like the new Chimes being build and/or Walk-Ons, but they don't even have to be that big or elaborate. It could be a local bar/restaurant with a family/Cajun vibe.

I don't know how many more fans this would bring, but I know it would allow more fans who want to come early to do so. Those fans could still tailgate at CF after lunch/dinner, but they would not have to be out at CF for hours before the game and still have the game day experience.

If someone could take over the old Agave in front of Rouse's that would be a really good option. Like I said, once the "YARD GOAT" at 116 Bertrand will open, this will add another option, but the more of these the better for people who want to get out early and have options before the game. These types of venues would also get tons of patrons for baseball and softball, as well as basketball.

I know it won't move the needle from 15K to 25K, but it might move it from 15K to 16K and we need all the options for increasing attendance as possible.

Another option is for someone to open a brewery on or near CF, I know Adopted Dog will be close, but not convenient for tailgaters. Somewhere on Bertrand or Congress would be more feasible for what I am thinking about.

Just my long and rambling .02

Default Re: Cajun Field Game Day Experience thoughts

I like the idea grow the brand!

What needs to happen is the University could lease out land next to Cajun Field, and build somewhat of a boardwalk with restaurants, shops, bars, pool halls all around the CF area, plus when the new stadium/press box is built we could incorporate all that stuff inside the new homeside.

I would make it like a mall, but for sports inside the press box and put a huge neon sign outside of Cajun Field so that way when it’s not game day people could come in and spend money to keep it viable

Think of it like a Cajun Field Mall or Food Court.

4. Default Re: Cajun Field Game Day Experience thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    What needs to happen is the University could lease out land next to Cajun Field, and build somewhat of a boardwalk with restaurants, shops, bars, pool halls all around the CF area, plus when the new stadium/press box is built we could incorporate all that stuff inside the new homeside.

I would make it like a mall, but for sports inside the press box and put a huge neon sign outside of Cajun Field so that way when it’s not game day people could come in and spend money to keep it viable

Think of it like a Cajun Field Mall or Food Court.
    That works for me. This is a very concise version of what I was trying to say.

Thanks.

Doesn’t have to be to this extent but we need city planners and developers I mean we have sports all year long.

https://www.wral.com/amp/iconic-firs.mall/20288582/

If it was me this is exactly how I would have it, if the University was forward thinking this is it!!

The big brick building would be the press box and then have boardwalk and shops around it.

Make the bottom of the press box all shops and restuarants and build around it. Really could put it between the football and baseball fields so you literally would have to walk through it.

Name:  F7702E0C-FE01-4C49-8B99-B25C322A8050.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  284.6 KB

We need this

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Guys,

I was just thinking out loud here and I have been to a ton of college sporting events around the country, both major P5/full arenas as well as mid majors in less than half full arenas. One thing for sure that we are missing is a game day experience for those that are not "tailgating" at Cajun Field. I think back to the hand full of LSU games I attended when my brother was a student there. There were places like Fred's, Sports Illustrated and The Bengal within a mile of the stadium to hang out before and after the game. If you take a 1 mile radius around CF, you will see Legend's on Bertrand, which is usually packed on game day before the game and somewhat afterwards as well, but it is truly the only bar in that area. Unless you count Deano's, I can't think of any other bars in that area. Now, next year we will have a beer garden built across the street from Legends and by then in the opposite direction you will have Adopted Dog Brewing which will be about a mile from the stadium. I know plans were discussed to have shopping and dining near the renovated stadium and I think this would be a tremendous idea.

A few weeks ago, after the baseball season was over, I was in Atlanta for work very close to the new Braves ballpark. Terrapin Brewing has a brewery on the Braves ballpark facility that is open year round. I went to have a beer and wings and realized that this would be an awesome experience before the game started for those people who do not have tailgate spots. We need some sort of family friendly facility near CF for those who do not have tailgate spots and want to be around other Cajun fans. Back in the day Ray's was there, but it is now a concert venue called ShoBiz and the problem with Legend's as much as I am a fan of Legend's, it is not a family friendly facility (they do not allow anyone under 21). So if I am a family that does not have a tailgate spot or someone that I know personally to hang out with and I want to grab a bite before the game with my under 21 children, I have to eat and drink at venues very far from the facility. I would much rather have a place that I can hang out at and drink and eat with my family and walk to the game after that. I think of venues like the new Chimes being build and/or Walk-Ons, but they don't even have to be that big or elaborate. It could be a local bar/restaurant with a family/Cajun vibe.

I don't know how many more fans this would bring, but I know it would allow more fans who want to come early to do so. Those fans could still tailgate at CF after lunch/dinner, but they would not have to be out at CF for hours before the game and still have the game day experience.

If someone could take over the old Agave in front of Rouse's that would be a really good option. Like I said, once the "YARD GOAT" at 116 Bertrand will open, this will add another option, but the more of these the better for people who want to get out early and have options before the game. These types of venues would also get tons of patrons for baseball and softball, as well as basketball.

I know it won't move the needle from 15K to 25K, but it might move it from 15K to 16K and we need all the options for increasing attendance as possible.

Another option is for someone to open a brewery on or near CF, I know Adopted Dog will be close, but not convenient for tailgaters. Somewhere on Bertrand or Congress would be more feasible for what I am thinking about.

Just my long and rambling .02
    T-Slow shot down an opportunity for an entertainment district surrounding the athletic complex. That would have brought in substantial revenue for the athletic program.

T-Slow doesn’t want athletics to outshine academics.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    T-Slow shot down an opportunity for an entertainment district surrounding the athletic complex. That would have brought in substantial revenue for the athletic program.

Authement 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

I don't know if you want to bring that topic up again on the board.

This is why it's important that the new Heymann Center is built across from Cajun Field. It gives an incentive to build a possible shopping center with restaurants, bars, and retail next to it. How convenient would it be to have fans just walk across the street as a hangout spot before and after the games? And here's the catch: it can be used beyond the 5-6 times a year we have a home game. Easy revenue and a new entertainment district.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This is why it's important that the new Heymann Center is built across from Cajun Field. It gives an incentive to build a possible shopping center with restaurants, bars, and retail next to it. How convenient would it be to have fans just walk across the street as a hangout spot before and after the games? And here's the catch: it can be used beyond the 5-6 times a year we have a home game. Easy revenue and a new entertainment district.
    Stop. Making. Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    If it was me this is exactly how I would have it, if the University was forward thinking this is it!!

The big brick building would be the press box and then have boardwalk and shops around it.

Make the bottom of the press box all shops and restuarants and build around it. Really could put it between the football and baseball fields so you literally would have to walk through it.

Name:  F7702E0C-FE01-4C49-8B99-B25C322A8050.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  284.6 KB
    This would be amazing, something that could and should be done.

While we are at it…let’s just make ours like this!!!

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/spor.adium/2953307/

Today, I’d say an entertainment district. 25-30 years from now, nah. Outside of student housing, mostly aging housing stock to the east and west. Housing north along Cameron already in that stage.

That is why UL should use the property for UL purposes only. Create your own buffer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information