Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

1. Poll Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

A really nice prediction and step up for the SBC if the warrennolan.com prediction comes to fruition. According to their website the SBC will have 4 teams with top 100 RPI when the season is completed.

44--JMU
    65--ODU
    66--Marshall
    73--Louisiana

Also USM is predicted to finish 125.

The problem is still with the bottom of the conference. According to this the SBC will also have 3 schools with RPI's between 250-327. Those schools are:

259--Arkansas State
    289--Georgia Southern
    327--ULM

There are 363 D1 basketball teams, so being in the top 75 teams basically puts you in the top 20% of all D1 basketball teams. That 44 could put JMU on the cusp of an at large bid. They won't get it, but it is good news for the conference as a whole. The bad news is 3 of the 4 of these teams are the new ones to the conference meaning the regulars are not doing anything to help the conference basketball perception.

Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

So, without the newbies we would be conference champs? Looking forward to conference games.

3. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Looks to me like the Sunbelt schedule will keep JMU from an at large bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Now would be a good time to enforce some tougher non-conference scheduling requirements. With the addition of these great basketball programs to the league combined with tougher requirements, we just might game the system to make this a multi bid league down the road.

5. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Well GSU probably won’t be down long, and neither will TxSt. ULM is a drag in almost every sport every year. At some point the Eastern members will ask them to leave. We have to provide support but hopefully we lose them and pick up WKU or maybe Missouri State.

6. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Troy lost a close one to a really good #24 ranked San Diego State team last night. 60-55

7. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Well GSU probably won’t be down long, and neither will TxSt. ULM is a drag in almost every sport every year. At some point the Eastern members will ask them to leave. We have to provide support but hopefully we lose them and pick up WKU or maybe Missouri State.
    The same could be said about Arkansas State as far as the big 5 sports go. I know they had their run in football a few years ago but look at the other 4.

They don’t sponsor softball.

Their baseball team is consistently the worst in the conference.

Men’s basketball has never been relevant.

Women’s basketball is middle of the road at best.

Football has not been relevant since Blake Anderson left and seems to be getting worse over time. If you take out the malzan, freeze, Harsin and early Andersen seasons they just haven’t been very good.

We have to provide support but hopefully we lose them and pick up WKU
    Let me be very frank and very direct, there is no conversation in the Sun Belt nor is there any interest. If I were in WKUs position, I'd be trying to figure out a way to move up to a level like the Sun Belt. And so, congratulations on that conversation.

9. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Let me be very frank and very direct, there is no conversation in the Sun Belt nor is there any interest. If I were in WKUs position, I'd be trying to figure out a way to move up to a level like the Sun Belt. And so, congratulations on that conversation.
    That is funny. Love it

10. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Okay, ???? (:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Inevitably one or more of the bottom 3 will catch one or more of the top tier on a bad night. That’s basketball.

If I had the power, I would add Missouri State and East Carolina and call it a day.

13. Default Re: Warren Nolan and the SBC Basketball Conference

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If I had the power, I would add Missouri State and East Carolina and call it a day.
    I don’t like a 16 team conference. Lose the Hoax in the West and Covid chickens in the East, and I’m fine with your two and done teams even though if I’m wishing Memphis over Missouri State

I think we need to stay at 14. The day will come where the old Southern Conference bunch will break away. Give it 10 years, San Marcos will be the excuse.

There are new scheduling requirements coming soon, perhaps as early as next season. My understanding is that we will have a minimum no. Of D1 non conference games required in the future. That will help perception wise but likely hurt as far as NET is concerned. It will also hurt financially. We will pay 60 grand for a SWAC team vs 15 grand for Loyola. The Loyola game does not impact NET while The SWAC team will hurt it. Despite all that, I am in favor of the move due to the importance of perception. May have a small impact on attendance as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information