Six 2003 team members named NFCA Scholar-Athletes.

Team GPA among Top 25 in NCAA Division I

LOUISIANA La. - It's been a longstanding tradition that excellence on the field and in the classroom goes hand-in-hand for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns softball program.

The 2003 season proved to be no different.

A trip to the Women's College World Series highlighted the accolades on the playing field while a total of six players being named scholar-athletes by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association along with a team grade point average that ranked 21st in Division I were the highlights in classroom performance.

The NFCA bestows the distinguished honor to those athletes who conclude the academic year with a 3.5 GPA or better. The Cajuns total of six meant that 1/3 of the entire 2003 squad sported a 3.5 GPA or better.

"I am continued to be amazed at the resolve that this team shows for excellence on and off the field," said UL Lafayette head coach Stefni Lotief. "These are our future community leaders and I know that they will continue the pursuit of excellence.

"I am proud to be on the same team with them," Lotief added. "This university, our community and their families can be proud of their academic accomplishments."

The recipients of the scholar-athlete award were: Tiffany Hebert (exercise science), Summar Lapeyrouse (exercise science), Becky McMurtry (general studies), Rachel Reese (pre-med), Jill Robertson (mechanical engineering) and Joy Webre (chemistry).

Both Reese and McMurtry were named the Outstanding Graduates for their respective colleges. Reese is currently enrolled at the University of Texas Medical School while McMurtry is in Phoenix pursuing her goal of playing professional softball.

"After all is said in done these young ladies will have an excellent degree from a University that provided them the opportunity to chase their dreams on and off the softball field," Lotief noted. "What an amazing accomplishment and opportunity."

LOUISIANA SI