Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baseball/Softball Scoring

Default Baseball/Softball Scoring

Scoring experts: Runner on third, one out. Called strike three, catcher drops it. Batter hustles to first. Catcher picks it up and throws her out at first, but the runner on third, who had not been going, scampers home. How is that advancement accounted for? PB, FC, or SB?

Default Re: Baseball/Softball Scoring

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Scoring experts: Runner on third, one out. Called strike three, catcher drops it. Batter hustles to first. Catcher picks it up and throws her out at first, but the runner on third, who had not been going, scampers home. How is that advancement accounted for? PB, FC, or SB?
    SB

A dropped third strike is equivalent of a fair ball.

So if she had bunted the ball and they made a play at first and the runner from 3rd scored then it would be booked as a stolen base? Same situation.

This is a FC.

The official scorer shall not score a stolen base when a runner advances solely because of the defensive team’s indifference to the runner’s advance. In those instances where a pitched ball eludes the catcher and the runner is put out trying to advance, the official scorer shall not charge any “caught stealing.” So if you can't charge them with caught stealing, then they can't be stealing. The dropped third strike forced the catcher to make a choice. Hold the ball or make a play for the out.

It is a FC.

5. Default Re: Baseball/Softball Scoring

Interesting info

It appears to me that you are scoring the play the same way regardless of when the runner at third breaks for home. You have to score the play, IMO, depending on when the runner at third breaks for home. If the runner breaks for home before the catcher throws to first and the catcher chooses to get the runner at first instead of the runner at home then that I would score the hitter with a strikeout and the out at first, 2-3, catcher to first base. The runner at third advances and scores by defensive indifference. The defense allowed her to score without a play at the plate. Same thing basically as a runner advancing from first to second without a throw from the catcher.

If the runner at third does not break for home until the catcher throws to first, then that would not be defensive indifference. The hitter would be out on a strikeout and, 2-3, throw from catcher to first base. Scoring the runner from third would be a judgement call by the official scorekeeper. Could score it a stolen base are just simply the runner advancing on the throw to first. Again just my opinion as an official scorekeeper for over 50 years.

In example one I don't see a runner breaking for home before the catcher let's the ball go. In softball or baseball the runner at 3rd would already be off the bag when the ball was dropped.

Did we play a winter game or is there a big announcement coming?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    is there a big announcement coming?
    Sanders to Colorado.

Sanders to Colorado.
    Touché

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Touché
    Cant be a fielders choice because because FC is a way to score the hitter, the hitter has a strikeout to their name in this instance regardless of outcome/other runners.

If batter is safe there will also be an error charged to catcher, whether that can also account for the run scoring, i dont know. so if safe probably no SB, but if out maybe also a sb.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Cant be a fielders choice because because FC is a way to score the hitter, the hitter has a strikeout to their name in this instance regardless of outcome/other runners.

If batter is safe there will also be an error charged to catcher, whether that can also account for the run scoring, i dont know. so if safe probably no SB, but if out maybe also a sb.
    The official scorer shall not score a stolen base when a runner advances solely because of the defensive team’s indifference to the runner’s advance. The official scorer shall score such a play as a fielder’s choice. The official scorer shall credit a stolen base to a runner whenever the runner advances one base unaided by a hit, a putout, an error, a force-out, a fielder’s choice, a passed ball, a wild pitch or a balk.

great so you in your own words, you cant get a sb and an fc on same play, but i am saying batter does not get the fc in their box in the scoresheet, they get a K.

you seem to have switched to asking two separate things

Sanders to Colorado.
    seems odd, i guess espn was bamboozled again, thought he was building up the swac and already had more money than davey crockett, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    great so you in your own words, you cant get a sb and an fc on same play, but i am saying batter does not get the fc in their box in the scoresheet, they get a K.

you seem to have switched to asking two separate things
    I only asked one thing. You haven't answered the question, you have only added to the question. Once again read post 1. How is that advancement accounted for? PB, FC, or SB?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information