Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Transfer Portal

Default Re: 2023 Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I lived in Cecilia during the Bulldogs remarkable run of playing (I think...) 48 of a possible 50 games in that 4 year stretch. I still say, pound for pound, that Jamaican Dartez is the best all-round player that area has produced...
    Not sure what pound for pound does for you. But if we are in a high school football game and you are looking to hand the ball off to some one, I will take Johnny Hector over any one that I have ever seen in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Not sure what pound for pound does for you. But if we are in a high school football game and you are looking to hand the ball off to some one, I will take Johnny Hector over any one that I have ever seen in this area.
    That would be Derwin Antoine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Saw him play about 5 times his senior year when we scouted for Coach Moseley. A good one but not in Hector league.

Cecil Collins.

I played against Derwin his So. and Jr. year he was definitely good but not Hector good. Derwin a Tulane recruit. Hector could have gone anywhere he wanted. Tx A&M out bid the rest.

I played against Derwin his So. and Jr. year he was definitely good but not Hector good. Derwin a Tulane recruit. Hector could have gone anywhere he wanted. Tx A&M out bid the rest.
    The only reason he signed with Tulane and not a major P5 was the fact that he obliterated his knee late in his Senior season. The doctors at Tulane were the only group that thought they could put his knee back together well enough for him to play. They couldn't.

I chased Derwin around the field as well. It was like trying to tackle a human Jackrabbit. I know Hector was special, but there is no way he was any more of a freakish talent than Derwin.

The only reason he signed with Tulane and not a major P5 was the fact that he obliterated his knee late in his Senior season. The doctors at Tulane were the only group that thought they could put his knee back together well enough for him to play. They couldn't.

I chased Derwin around the field as well. It was like trying to tackle a human Jackrabbit. I know Hector was special, but there is no way he was any more of a freakish talent than Derwin.
    I watched them both. Hector hands down the best I’ve ever seen. Didn’t he end up in Canada after he got released from Tulane for stealing TVs? Knee must have been somewhat fixed to play up there.

I too chased Boobie Chop around and can certainly see how you would say that. Just curious how many times did you see Hector play in high school? For me there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Don't forget Opelousas with Clint Berry and that bunch. The year Acadiana kicked our butt with Dural, we finally beat Lafayette High 35-0. They had Durkee and Mike Breaux.
    I think you're confusing teams and years.

Durkee was a sophmore on the '78 LHS team. He may have started but I don't know that he was huge contributor (I graduated with him and have known him since kindergarten).

Beating Lafayette High after that '78 season was no big deal. Even for Opelousas and Comeaux. Again, that '78 team was special. (Prudhomme and Keith Guidry to U(s)L, Leland Padgett and William Stringfield to Tech, Ka-Carl Linden, Pat Edmonds. Hell, I think Mike Saab played baseball at Refineryville.)

Mike Breaux would have been a freshman in '78 and went to Acadiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post

Durkee was a sophmore on the '78 LHS team. He may have started but I don't know that he was huge contributor (I graduated with him and have known him since kindergarten).

Beating Lafayette High after that '78 season was no big deal. Even for Opelousas and Comeaux. Again, that '78 team was special. (Prudhomme and Keith Guidry to U(s)L, Leland Padgett and William Stringfield to Tech, Ka-Carl Linden, Pat Edmonds. Hell, I think Mike Saab played baseball at Refineryville.)

Would that be Class of 78? Or season of 78?

I met Mike Saab once years ago. He tried to tell me he was better than Johnny H. I got a good laugh.

Sabb once told me how he and Hector battled for the state rushing title one season (true) except Hector had half or less than half the carries he had. Sabb had a sense of humor about it.

Yes Sabb played baseball for State.

Hector still holds the state 4-A record in the long jump. Dude was a natural. Link is an interesting read.

https://www.lhsaa.org/siteuploads/ed...s_Records1.pdf

Nonetheless, Hector, 40+ years later, is still used as a measuring stick for h/s running backs by many.

I played against Durkee, Cori Listi and a few others in 1980. I thought Mike Breaux played on that team as well. Maybe confused him with Acadiana HS that same season. Both Durkee, Earl Curtis and Mike Breaux signed with LSU. It wasn't 1978. Curtis and Durkee were Sophomore's at LSU in 1982. Both graduated in 1981. Breaux was a true freshman in 1982. He graduated in 1982 from HS, same year as me.

https://lsusports.net/sports/fb/roster/season/1982/

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Sabb once told me how he and Hector battled for the state rushing title one season (true) except Hector had half or less than half the carries he had. Sabb had a sense of humor about it.

Yes Sabb played baseball for State.
    Hector was the best I have seen in this area period. He had state records in track for years. He was ranked in the Top 5 in the country his senior year in the Triple Jump. Finished his career with the NY Jets. He was a senior when I was just a freshman.

Would that be Class of 78? Or season of 78?

I met Mike Saab once years ago. He tried to tell me he was better than Johnny H. I got a good laugh.
    Would have been the Fall/Season of 1978. Prudhomme, Saab, Padgett, Linden, Edmonds all graduate in that spring of 1979.

Yeah, Saab was a great athlete, and a really good football player. But Hector was an NFL running back. Also remember that Saab ran behind a line that ALL played successfully at the next level.

Would have been the Fall/Season of 1978. Prudhomme, Saab, Padgett, Linden, Edmonds all graduate in that spring of 1979.

Yeah, Saab was a great athlete, and a really good football player. But Hector was an NFL running back. Also remember that Saab ran behind a line that ALL played successfully at the next level.
    Yes, Prudhomme as at UL when we played Lafayette HS. John Phillips was QB at that time I believe.

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread Information