Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gotta face the music

Default Re: Gotta face the music

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Sorry I'm able to take off the blinders. I've been to two LSU baseball games so far this season and two UL games. My wife went to UL and we donate to the university. There are problems within UL baseball and you need to take your blinders off. I'm all for Robe staying buy he needs to right the ship sooner rather than later.

igeaux.mobi _
    I have been to every UL game this year. I have never been to a game at lsu. I donate to the University too. The problem with UL baseball is nothing that a couple of bats cant cure. We are weak and dont compete at the plate. We pitch well enough to win almost every night. Some changes might need to be made in the infield. I will ask you again: Who do you want to coach this baseball team? And dont say Smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ +2

igeaux.mobi _
    +3 Look we all love Robe for what he has done. Would we all love to see him right the ship and stay here until he rides off into the sunset? The answer is an emphatic yes. Always has been. But the reality of the situation, the pragmatic view is that he just doesnt have it anymore. Change is necessary sometimes. Look at Bobby Bowden. I know nothing beyond Robe for baseball, I was born in 1981. But at this point in time, he seems to have lost his touch, magic, fairy dust whatever it was that we had. Its gone. Gone. The magic of the CWS trip is a memory nothing more. The sun belt dominance you read about on the walls of Judice Inn is nothing more than a memory. Now were just another team in the belt. Thats not good enough. We all want more. We have the history, money, talent pool, fan base. What we always talk about in football has already happened in baseball, basketball, softball. They made the step for basketball, now its time for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Clampett View Post
    _ I have been to every UL game this year. I have never been to a game at lsu. I donate to the University too. The problem with UL baseball is nothing that a couple of bats cant cure. We are weak and dont compete at the plate. We pitch well enough to win almost every night. Some changes might need to be made in the infield. I will ask you again: Who do you want to coach this baseball team? And dont say Smoke. _
    What about fielding the baseball? Bats cant fix that. There are plenty of good coaches out there. The coach from SE La. Throw money at him. We have more money, bigger fanbase. The guy can win here. Maybe even recreate the magic. Think outside the box ned.

Again, I said I want Robe to coach the team. They have been battling the same problems for the last 2.5 seasons. Will it change next season? Two years from now? There is no excuse for going 3-4 years without regional play. SLU fielding the second best team in the state is a sham.

igeaux.mobi

I expect to see major interest by sec acc and big 12 schools for SLUs coach.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    What about fielding the baseball? Bats cant fix that. There are plenty of good coaches out there. The coach from SE La. Throw money at him. We have more money, bigger fanbase. The guy can win here. Maybe even recreate the magic. Think outside the box ned.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    _ Sorry I'm able to take off the blinders. I've been to two LSU baseball games so far this season and two UL games. My wife went to UL and we donate to the university. There are problems within UL baseball and you need to take your blinders off. I'm all for Robe staying buy he needs to right the ship sooner rather than later.

igeaux.mobi _
    + Infinity and Beyond!

UL FANS NEED TO BE LOYAL TO UL NOT TO A COACH!

Everyone needs to take off the Robe colored glasses and look at the body of work for the past 3 years. It sucks plain and simple. Everyone looks to blame anybody but Robe. Hell he is ultimately responsible and he is failing this university.

He needs to go!

He needs to be fired for 3 bad seasons of 16?

8. Default Re: Gotta face the music

When someone has coached for 16 years, there shouldnt be a three year trend of losing. And its getting worse. He's either become complacent or the guys arent buying into the system. Either way, we have now become less than mediocre in the three major sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Clampett View Post
    _ I have been to every UL game this year. I have never been to a game at lsu. I donate to the University too. The problem with UL baseball is nothing that a couple of bats cant cure. We are weak and dont compete at the plate. We pitch well enough to win almost every night. Some changes might need to be made in the infield. I will ask you again: Who do you want to coach this baseball team? And dont say Smoke. _

You seem to think Coach Robe is irreplaceable. There are a lot of qualified coaches out there who would likely jump at the UL job. No coach is irreplaceable. This isn't Bustle inheriting a total mess in football. This is a team that went to the World Series 10 years ago and should have been able to build on that and continue to be successful. It is time for Coach Robe to turn things around. How many more years do we go with this kind of mediocrity? This is the 3rd year in a row and at least 5 of the last 10. He will likely get another year and probably deserves to. UL now is nothing more than a middle to bottom half of the SBC team and that should not be acceptable under any circumstances. Look at our outstanding hire in basketball. We can do the same in every sport and should demand it. I think the next season in football and baseball will determine whether those coaches should stay or be replaced.

Not calling you out or anything bc I'm genuinely curious.

Who do you think we could hire that would do a better job?

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    _ He needs to be fired for 3 bad seasons of 16? _
    yes

_ Not calling you out or anything bc I'm genuinely curious.

Who do you think we could hire that would do a better job? _

Me too.

At least for right now. let's get back to last night's game. Good win. on the road. against possibly the best hitting team in the Belt. We're positioned with a lot of pitching left and can win this series.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ At least for right now. let's get back to last night's game. Good win. on the road. against possibly the best hitting team in the Belt. We're positioned with a lot of pitching left and can win this series. _
    Hope so because we still have not won a conference series this year.

_ Not calling you out or anything bc I'm genuinely curious.

Who do you think we could hire that would do a better job? _
    Jay Artigues, who took over as head coach of the Southeastern Louisiana University baseball program following the 2005 season and has averaged 36 wins per year in his 10 seasons as a head coach, enters his fifth campaign at the helm of the Lions’ baseball program.

Artigues, who posted a 275-108 record in seven years that included stints at Bossier Parish (La.) Community College and Pearl River (Miss.) Community College, has continued his success as the 15th head coach in the history of Lions’ baseball.

Artigues, a native of Bay St. Louis, Miss., inherited a program that had not finished above .500 since 1998, and after a 23-32 finish in 2006, Artigues led Southeastern to at 34-21 mark, the program’s first winning record in nine years and highest win total in a decade.

Under Artigues’ leadership, the 2007 Lions established themselves as a growing force in the conference and region with three wins over ranked opponents (twice over No. 16 Tulane and once over No. 26 Southern Miss) and a 16-14 Southland conference mark (Southeastern’s first winning conference record since joining the SLC in 1998).

The 2007 pitching staff made considerable strides as sophomore lefty Wade Miley threw 95.2 innings (eighth on the school’s single-season all-time list) and junior right-hander Josh Black logged 90.2 innings (tied for ninth) while striking out 90 batters (tied for seventh).

Meanwhile, Southeastern reliever Chris Province had a breakthrough season, going 2-3 with a 4.29 ERA (24 ER/50.1 IP) while striking out 41 batters and walking just 16 over 24 appearances, culminating in being selected in the fourth round of the 2007 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by the Boston Red Sox.

The Lions continued to improve in 2008 as Artigues led the squad to a 32-27 (17-16) record and their first trip to the league postseason tournament in three years.

Southeastern posted consecutive 30-win seasons for the first time since going 34-24 in 1996 and 1997 and beat in-state rivals LSU, Tulane and UL-Lafayette in the same season for the first time since 1985.

The 2008 Lions advanced to the final day of the Southland Conference Tournament after three consecutive come-from-behind victories before finally falling to Lamar in the semifinals.

Meanwhile, with the guidance of the Southeastern coaching staff, Miley became the highest drafted student-athlete in school history when the Arizona Diamondbacks selected him with the 43rd overall pick in the 2008 MLB First-Year Player Draft.

The 2008 Lion pitching staff was one of the most formidable in the league, leading the Southland Conference in Team ERA (4.26) and strikeouts (481) while also taking the individual crowns in both categories.

Miley led the way for the Southland Conference, recording 119 strikeouts in his junior season and Brent Varnado claimed the SLC ERA title with a 3.33 mark.

Artigues also helped the Lions post the fifth best team batting average in the Southland Conference as Southeastern finished just shy of a .300 team batting average with a .299 mark.

The Southeastern offense also posted eye-catching numbers with a .382 team on-base percentage and 396 runs scored.

In 2009, Artigues guided the Lions to a 37-22 record and their best-ever finish in the Southland Conference (21-12, second overall). The Lions, behind a solid bullpen led by All-American Chris Franklin, recorded their highest RPI ranking (No. 54) and flirted with a potential at-large berth to the NCAA Regionals.

Southeastern, which came within one win of tying the single-season record (38) set in 1993 and 1994, swept eventual tournament champion Sam Houston State in a three-game series and went 12-3 down the stretch before falling to the Bearkats in the semifinals.

Franklin, who split time as a relief pitcher and third baseman, shattered the single-season record for saves (12).

Prior to becoming the 15th head baseball coach in Southeastern’s history, Artigues spent four seasons at Pearl River Community College where he guided the school to a 168-51 record. The Wildcats won three conference championships and advanced to the JUCO World Series during his tenure. In his final season at PRCC, Artigues led the Wildcats, who began the season ranked No. 7 in Division II, to a 46-12 record and a No. 1 ranking in the final JUCO National regular-season poll.

In his first season at PRCC, Artigues led the Wildcats to a then school-record 42 wins and a berth in the 2002 JUCO World Series in Millington, Tenn. Pearl River finished the year as the South Division Conference Champions, Region XXIII Champions and Central District Champions with Artigues earning Region XXIII and Central District Coach of the Year honors.

In 2003 the Wildcats finished 38-13 and advanced to the State and Regional playoffs for the second straight season. The 2003 team was nationally ranked throughout the season and was ranked as high as No. 1 in the country.

Before returning to Pearl River in 2001, where he was a two-year letterwinner and was a first team All-State and All-Region selection, Artigues spent three seasons at Bossier Parish Community College and posted a 107-57 record. In his final season at Bossier Parish, Artigues led the Cavaliers to a school-record 46 wins and a No. 8 ranking in the final NJCAA poll.

Artigues began his coaching career in 1992-93 as an assistant at Spring Hill (Ala.) College where he served as hitting coach and handled the infield. He served as Dean of Students and head baseball coach for two years at St. Louis Catholic High in Lake Charles, La., and led the Saints into the state playoffs both seasons, reaching the Class 3A state quarterfinals in 1996.

Artigues moved to Hammond in 1996 and served as athletic director and head baseball coach at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, leading the Falcons to the state playoffs for the first time ever while administering the school’s 14-sport athletics program.

Artigues then returned to the college ranks, accepting a job at the University of New Orleans, where he was an assistant coach in 1998 under Tom Schwaner.

Among Artigues’ numerous coaching honors include being named the 2004 Mississippi Junior College Coach of the Year, the 2002 Diamond Regional Coach of the Year, the Region XXIII Coach of the Year and Central District Coach of the Year by the NJCAA.

As a player, Artigues spent two seasons at Pearl River Community College and two years at Belhaven College, where he graduated in 1992 with a B.S. in Business Administration. Artigues would go on to earn an M.S.S. in Sport Coaching from the United States Sports Academy in 1993.

Artigues and his wife, Rachel are the parents of two sons, Christopher (10) and Casey (7).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information