Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Bump

Seems like there's mixed opinions on Twitter on where the Heymann Center should be
    As a friend and frequent patron of downtown, downtown needs to fix their vagrant problem before even thinking of building a brand new performing arts center there. Can't even have lunch downtown without being approached for money at a minimum of one time per trip. I saw one harassing a young mom trying to put a newborn in her car, had to shoe the guy away from the obviously panicked mother.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    As a friend and frequent patron of downtown, downtown needs to fix their vagrant problem before even thinking of building a brand new performing arts center there. Can't even have lunch downtown without being approached for money at a minimum of one time per trip. I saw one harassing a young mom trying to put a newborn in her car, had to shoe the guy away from the obviously panicked mother.
    YES!!!!! THIS!!!!

Fix the infrastructure you have now downtown before taking on this kind of project. Restaurants are closing down, living quarters are still not near full capacity, and there's still issues with foot traffic like you mentioned above. It would be like Lafayette Regional Airport trying to add a daily British Airways flight to London-Heathrow without the passenger traffic.

Build the foundation first before building this.

Excellent point! My wife and i are always accosted by some vagrant asking for either food or money. If it wasn't for one specific restaurant we would NEVER go downtown. It would be a disaster to put this project downtown.

I'm with you.

It seems the mission of EVERY town in America to save their dilapidated, crumbling, downtowns, most with some varying degree of crime. Unfortunately it is a local government addiction. Like road projects, look at who owns the property or who will benefit with government bouying the property values.

Once 49 comes thru (thank you to our downtown people who set that in place in the 50's) the foot and bicycle traffic should logically increase since the only vehicle traffic to avoid on surface roads will be local. The flyway will remove the bulk of the traffic. There is no major grocery in McComb-Veazy, so the route to Rouse's and four corners will be much easier. I just hope the engineers allow for overloaded agricultural trucks in the design phase. Thruway down to Iberia where they turn off to go to the mills is a rollercoaster.

Vagrants are an issue, but not just downtown. Every major grocer has food to dispose of by certain dates. They are around every chain grocer. At one time, there was an encampment behind Sam's/Crawfish Time/S. Domingue in the pecan orchid. And they exist across the river too.

5. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Cajundome,
    Multi-purpose Louisiana Stadium.
    New HEYmann Center.

Only a fool would build away from an entertainment hub.

There is a logical reason McDonalds, Burger King, Popeyes, Wendy's can often be found on competing corners across the country.

Being next to similar venues creates a mindset and is good for everyone's business.

Isolate and die.

Looks like Councilwoman Cook wanted to fund another study for it.

https://kpel965.com/where-should-laf...cs9KZrwg_X1e8c

Isn’t it a rule there must be three taxpayer-funded studies before a project is approved in Louisiana? Seems only fair to try to spread the wealth amongst government consultants.

Panhandlers during the day is not as bad as in the evening. They do come up with some interesting stories though.

Placing the new performing arts center near the cajun dome has many advantages.
    1) The road infrastructure is there
    2) There is existing parking at Cajun field and cajun dome that can be used. That would reduce the amount of parking that would be required and eliminate extra stormwater runoff.
    3) It is a more efficient use of land.
    4) Over head crossings can be placed to cross Congress street
    5) Overflow parking for cajun field can use the parking that is built for the center
    6) It is not downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Cajundome,
    Multi-purpose Louisiana Stadium.
    New HEYmann Center.

Only a fool would build away from an entertainment hub.

There is a logical reason McDonalds, Burger King, Popeyes, Wendy's can often be found on competing corners across the country.

Being next to similar venues creates a mindset and is good for everyone's business.

Isolate and die.
    This. I have been saying this plus I think the RR guys tweeted this put a crosswalk above congress for overflow parking. Cajun field and the Heyman could share overflow lots. Downtown would be a parking nightmare.

Downtown Lafayette already has Acadiana Center of the arts which seats 300. Cite Des Arts has a capacity about 100. just wondering if both of these facilities are underutilized which would make a performing arts center downtown not realistic. I don’t have the answer. I believe we need to do what is most economically feasible that benefits not only the university but the whole community. i’m sorry that may not make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Looks like Councilwoman Cook wanted to fund another study for it.

https://kpel965.com/where-should-laf...cs9KZrwg_X1e8c

Isn’t it a rule there must be three taxpayer-funded studies before a project is approved in Louisiana? Seems only fair to try to spread the wealth amongst government consultants.
    Well it was yestersay. Did she get her votes?

This! I understand helping economic development in any area. But I'm interested in making downtown a entertainment district with a dedicated tax. It's not safe to bring your family downtown after dark.

I have an agreement with my wife if she is alone, only shop in daylight and there are certain convenience stores that are no go.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    This! I understand helping economic development in any area. But I'm interested in making downtown a entertainment district with a dedicated tax. It's not safe to bring your family downtown after dark.
    There’s already a DDA tax downtown renewed last April I think.

Acadiana Advocate: Only one site emerges as the potential home of the new performing arts center

Looks like new performing arts center will be located on Congress across from CF. Good news.

Good. As it should be.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information