Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Interstate 49 connector,

Camellia Boulevard bridge

South City Parkway

Widening of any road or improvement of any intersection.

It’s who we are. And now we have gone beyond NIMBY and BANANA.

I have no idea what the acronym is, but now, here, in Lafayette, Louisiana, we are at the point that if it’s a cool idea and you’re not gonna build it next to me then don’t build it at all.

We have the potential for building an arts and entertainment District around the Cajun Dome Boulevard and Bertrand Dr. Corridor.

By all means, why let a good idea, get in the way of the rampant parochialism that exists in our area
    I’m ok with the PAC being built on university property. I’m not a fan of any “entertainment” support buildings like restaurants being built on university land. Restaurants come and go. Downtown is a great example.

Infrastructure (roads) would be an issue. Doubt that, wait until CF, the CD (both parts) and the PAC all have an event simultaneously. Remember they all act independently.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Acadiana Advocate: Only one site emerges as the potential home of the new performing arts center

Looks like new performing arts center will be located on Congress across from CF. Good news.
    Makes all the sense in the world considering the parking and security concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I’m ok with the PAC being built on university property. I’m not a fan of any “entertainment” support buildings like restaurants being built on university land. Restaurants come and go. Downtown is a great example.

Infrastructure (roads) would be an issue. Doubt that, wait until CF, the CD (both parts) and the PAC all have an event simultaneously. Remember they all act independently.
    I look at development differently, specifically leasing university land as additional revenue opportunities. Why not, if the university can lock in long term lease deals and it helps fund the university it makes all the sense in the world. Of course it needs to be done right, smart growth and infrastructure. But the burden of funding higher education through tax dollars can be reduced in a small part.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I look at development differently, specifically leasing university land as additional revenue opportunities. Why not, if the university can lock in long term lease deals and it helps fund the university it makes all the sense in the world. Of course it needs to be done right, smart growth and infrastructure. But the burden of funding higher education through tax dollars can be reduced in a small part.
    I endorse this line of thinking. Not long ago, several people on this forum were advocating something like this (leasing unused space on Congress out for commercial use) as a good idea. But one thing I have found in my 21 years on this forum is there is always someone who will complain about anything. This has especially been true in the last few years.

If only people could complain, discuss, debate. Now we label, tear down and denigrate. Idiots, commies and worse. Can’t we just get along??

Somewhat related, Moncus Park is about to have a hiccup. On KATC tonight, South College Shopping Center has had enough of people too cheap to pay 2 bucks an hour to park at Moncus. It is impacting the center’s tenants.

Moncus rep of course replied they’re expanding parking. Can tell you that’s not the problem, seen it first hand. The fence between Moncus and Regions no longer has a gate.

A microcosm of the issues UL faces…things that were easy, free and/or inexpensive now cost more, people don’t come back.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    If only people could complain, discuss, debate. Now we label, tear down and denigrate. Idiots, commies and worse. Can’t we just get along??
    Best post tonight. Well said

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    If you are talking about me, I did none of this. I just stated my opinion and what I have observed.

I am not in favor of selling the land to the city but leasing it. Reason being is that the Ochsner UMC may want to go that direction and build a parking lot. Look at what they’re doing now where the Heymann sits. Just a thought. That probably be years down the road.

10. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Somewhat related, Moncus Park is about to have a hiccup. On KATC tonight, South College Shopping Center has had enough of people too cheap to pay 2 bucks an hour to park at Moncus. It is impacting the center’s tenants.

Moncus rep of course replied they’re expanding parking. Can tell you that’s not the problem, seen it first hand. The fence between Moncus and Regions no longer has a gate.

A microcosm of the issues UL faces…things that were easy, free and/or inexpensive now cost more, people don’t come back.
    Rousses and predecessor businesses go through this across from Cajun Field.

Now they tow, sometimes.

Even when parking was free inside Cajun Basin, those lots were used as an exit strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Rousses and predecessor businesses go through this across from Cajun Field.
    EXACTLY.

UL doesn’t need to be a landlord put in the position of finding tenants. Having a hard enough time find butts in the seats.

EXACTLY.

UL doesn’t need to be a landlord put in the position of finding tenants. Having a hard enough time find butts in the seats.
    They don't need to do it themselves, they can partner with the right people to manage the properties just like you can with investment properties. It's a sound approach if done professionally.

I'm all about this.. but for heavens sake use the damn thing! There are show many shows we miss out on, it blows my mind. Shreveport, Moblie, Biloxi, Baton Rouge... and look I know they have a more dense population, but the Cajundome is going to pull what it pulls. There is a niche for music that can go to a performing arts facility especially here in Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouRichard View Post
    I am not in favor of selling the land to the city but leasing it. Reason being is that the Ochsner UMC may want to go that direction and build a parking lot. Look at what they’re doing now where the Heymann sits. Just a thought. That probably be years down the road.
    You guys do know the lease of the land from UL is $1a year...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    You guys do know the lease of the land from UL is $1a year...
    Yes, but not for the adjacent property for development.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information