Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yes, but not for the adjacent property for development.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Somewhat related, Moncus Park is about to have a hiccup. On KATC tonight, South College Shopping Center has had enough of people too cheap to pay 2 bucks an hour to park at Moncus. It is impacting the center’s tenants.

Moncus rep of course replied they’re expanding parking. Can tell you that’s not the problem, seen it first hand. The fence between Moncus and Regions no longer has a gate.

A microcosm of the issues UL faces…things that were easy, free and/or inexpensive now cost more, people don’t come back.
    If 2 dollar parking keeps RifRaf out of the park, good. I see on a weekly basis how park properties are treated when it's free. It's destroyed and trashed!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    If 2 dollar parking keeps RifRaf out of the park, good. I see on a weekly basis how park properties are treated when it's free. It's destroyed and trashed!
    If I were a betting man, LCG will get stuck with this WAY before the 99 year lease is completed.

There’s not enough volume of folks willing to pay to park their cars, walk their dogs, and such.

The lie of private funding has long been busted, government grants already being tapped.

If I were a betting man, LCG will get stuck with this WAY before the 99 year lease is completed.

There’s not enough volume of folks willing to pay to park their cars, walk their dogs, and such.

The lie of private funding has long been busted, government grants already being tapped.
    Which is what I suspected would happen from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Which is what I suspected would happen from the very beginning.
    We’re fishing in the same pond. I’m thinking 20 years.

From my limited utilization of Moncus Park, the parking lot is full each time I go. If paid-parking wasn't initially part of their budget, then I'd hope they are generating enough funds to plug any holes. It is a very nice public space, a nice attraction for the city to have besides restaurants and automatic car washes.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    From my limited utilization of Moncus Park, the parking lot is full each time I go. If paid-parking wasn't initially part of their budget, then I'd hope they are generating enough funds to plug any holes. It is a very nice public space, a nice attraction for the city to have besides restaurants and automatic car washes.
    Nope, parking fees were not in original plan. Nor were the dog park fees.

https://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-.esidents-upset

That speaks volumes for the future.

Nope, parking fees were not in original plan. Nor were the dog park fees.

https://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-.esidents-upset

That speaks volumes for the future.
    I knew this would be a challenge even with setting up a non-profit 501c. Cost would eventually surpass funds raised for maintenance and improvements. My guess, some intergovernmental deal is brokered down the road, or special taxing district to differ the cost. Jmo

We’re fishing in the same pond. I’m thinking 20 years.
    The plan was flawed from the beginning. It was almost like the planned for it to fail. I had a beautiful layout for a subdivision on the property with commercial in the front. The property would have been a revenue PRODUCER. I reckon it will be a revenue drainer befor too long.

10. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    The plan was flawed from the beginning. It was almost like the planned for it to fail. I had a beautiful layout for a subdivision on the property with commercial in the front. The property would have been a revenue PRODUCER. I reckon it will be a revenue drainer befor too long.
    I envisioned grants, grants and more grants.

I envisioned the area full of University of Louisiana Research Parks, including The Ira Nelson Horticulture Center.

Flash flood grants, erosion grants,

Not excluding hiking trails.

Hey we got hiking trails.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Sure, it's not a revenue producer for the city, but I'd say it's a cultural asset for the city. Besides going to UL events, I don't really feel much "community" in Lafayette besides attending mass. I feel like Moncus Park has the ability to be the year-round cultural hub for the hub city. Attending the farmer's market on Saturdays with the family, and bringing the kids to the park afterward gives me a sense of community.

What's the price tag on that? I don't know.

For anyone that has not gone, I highly recommend going take a stroll. It is impressive and makes me proud to live in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Sure, it's not a revenue producer for the city, but I'd say it's a cultural asset for the city. Besides going to UL events, I don't really feel much "community" in Lafayette besides attending mass. I feel like Moncus Park has the ability to be the year-round cultural hub for the hub city. Attending the farmer's market on Saturdays with the family, and bringing the kids to the park afterward gives me a sense of community.

What's the price tag on that? I don't know.

For anyone that has not gone, I highly recommend going take a stroll. It is impressive and makes me proud to live in the city.
    That's all well and good for now it's an asset but in the future I see a detriment. We can't take care of the parks we have now. If the model collapses then the park is closed and becomes an attractive Nuisance or the city takes it over. I feel that the city taking it over was the plan from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Amen. Moncus park has been a huge success and people don't seem to mind the $2 parking. It's been packed

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Amen. Moncus park has been a huge success and people don't seem to mind the $2 parking. It's been packed
    We’ll see come Saturday. I thought the bike paths on Bertrand were about connectivity?

Gerard Park 2.0 in a few decades.

I’ve been to the park multiple times. I’ve also been to similar parks in other cities. The error in this park is privatization.

Parks don’t make money.

The City of Lafayette for the longest time bailed the parish parks program out until I think it was Durel put a stop to it. Given that, how the heck did anyone think this idea would thrive financially to a sustainable point w/o any government funding?

They have a big endowment, but obviously if the model changed to charge for parking and dogs, someone ran the numbers and said “uh-oh”.

The taxpayers have been duped.

I’m more worried about the city of Lafayette disproportionally plugging holes in the parish budget without the help of growing cities on the outskirts than the city of Laffy hypothetically being on the hook for Moncus Park maintenance decades down the road.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information