Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

1. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    But not only does it compete for eyes it takes away parking.
    I would start with a huge multi-story, multi-purpose parking structure that goes OVER the intersection of Cajundome Boulevard and Congress.

4 exits into the parking tower, minimal new footprint.

Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

If we get out of our own way, we could be looking at a major entertainment/research district at Congress/Cajundome Blvd. and a medical sciences district stretching from campus to the Oil Center.

Count me in for major entertainment/research district at Congress/Cajundome Blvd. and a medical sciences district. Downtown isn’t safe and doesn’t have the parking. I could see the performing arts center spur a ton of development around it if it’s put by Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    According to reports the location is already a done deal. Congress@Cajundome Boulevard
    Is this the same area where football fans presently park because we can’t afford inside the park parking. If so, here’s another way the University doesn’t care about the non-big donor fans. Where are we to park for football if this is the sight, behind the Hilton Gardens????
    This University has forgotten about the blue collar fans.

Guys, I have no inside information. ZZ and I have professional history and he knows where I come from.

In my mind, these are very real, potential concepts. Am I 100% certain they will happen?

No. But they can and should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Remember, LSU ran UMC and then transferred UMC over to LGMC several years back

Now LGMC has Ochsner in it corner and I don't see LSU trying to regain that footprint they had in UMC they subsequently abandoned.
    UMC was a f up before it opened. At the time we knew the dean of the LSU med school. Design flaws, such as, didn’t make the doorways wide enough to spin a gurney into ER rooms.

I see LSUE makes darn sure they got the signage out at Ambassador and Congress. I except that will be the line of attack if UL makes a move for a med school. The sad fact NOLA is turning into another Chicago, and Shreveport isn’t the answer, a med school has to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    Is this the same area where football fans presently park because we can’t afford inside the park parking. If so, here’s another way the University doesn’t care about the non-big donor fans. Where are we to park for football if this is the sight, behind the Hilton Gardens????
    First of all, I am sure there will be parking at the new PAC that could be used for football games.

However...

No offense, but this is where the parochialism raises its ugly head.

Lets say the transfer of the Heyman Center to LGMC (which could result in a medical school) is contingent on the availability of land and the new Heyman Center being built at Congress and Cajundome Blvd.

Or even if the new PAC is a focal point of the new entertainment/research district.

Do we really want to look at parking for 6 football games a year as the monkey wrench to to foul up the placement of the PAC?

Like I said, parking will probably be available at the PAC. And I'm sure we can figure out some other options (Blackham, parking further down Congress or Cajundome).

We all need to get past what's good for me and start thinking about what's best for the community.

The bottom line is
    1) OLGH has squeezed LCG into a corner. Their new parking garage doesn’t allow high profile vehicles just like their other garage.

2) the surface parking at the HPAC is an utter disaster.

3)The decision was made to let a first year in house engineer design the parking lot. Those of you with extended bed or double cab pickups know exactly what the error was. Heard LCG might of paid owners of vehicles for damages caused in part to poor design.

4) the end game involves privatization of the center. Right now there may be 2 or 3 full time employees. It is not possible to maintain a building that size with less than bare bones staffing (read, old building, something always needing attention)Plus NOBODY will do it for close to the bare bones cost plus a profit percentage.

5) The ACA is downtown already. But a new HPAC location needs to be selected on practical reasons.

6) UL athletics will never be on the radar of the center’s operations.

7) a sky bridge will be a waste of money as long as there are driveways in the area, such as the hotel. Sky bridges work when there is no other way to traverse on ground across an area. The shortest distance between two points rule.

Paging Dr. Fun.

Dr. Fun, you have a thread to respond to on RaginPagin......

10. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

First of all, I am sure there will be parking at the new PAC that could be used for football games.

However...

No offense, but this is where the parochialism raises its ugly head.

Lets say the transfer of the Heyman Center to LGMC (which could result in a medical school) is contingent on the availability of land and the new Heyman Center being built at Congress and Cajundome Blvd.

Or even if the new PAC is a focal point of the new entertainment/research district.

Do we really want to look at parking for 6 football games a year as the monkey wrench to to foul up the placement of the PAC?

Like I said, parking will probably be available at the PAC. And I'm sure we can figure out some other options (Blackham, parking further down Congress or Cajundome).

We all need to get past what's good for me and start thinking about what's best for the community.
    While that parking garage might be used by Cajun fans on football Saturday it’ll cost them a lot if it’s available for the game day. I’ve yet to see a parking garage that’s not an eyesore. This is definitely not benefiting UL athletics. We currently have one of the best parking facilities in all college athletics regardless of conferences.

Well there are several garages on the former to be soon UL property. That can be utilized to bus people to the game like they do on rainy days in the past. I have been to other big campuses and that’s how they get people to the game. you parked and you bus. I know people don’t like it but that’s how it’s done when there is no available close parking.

Guys, I have no inside information. ZZ and I have professional history and he knows where I come from.

In my mind, these are very real, potential concepts. Am I 100% certain they will happen?

No. But they can and should happen.
    CM is right…projects that are viable. I’m sure he could pen a book on bs dreams that he’s seen. Like the one I lovingly call “the monorail to Maurice”.

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    Actually that building might add better parking options for the non donor.

14. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    The new center needs to be across from Cajun field. There is nothing good that happens downtown after dark.
    Not if you listen to the talking heads. Downtown needs more housing, businesses, etc. and it can be the best Downtown ever. Just ignore the gunshots after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    CM is right…projects that are viable. I’m sure he could pen a book on bs dreams that he’s seen. Like the one I lovingly call “the monorail to Maurice”.
    Those contributions ended up in a lifetime achievement award last weekend.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information