Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Interstate 49 connector,

Camellia Boulevard bridge

South City Parkway

Widening of any road or improvement of any intersection.

It’s who we are. And now we have gone beyond NIMBY and BANANA.

I have no idea what the acronym is, but now, here, in Lafayette, Louisiana, we are at the point that if it’s a cool idea and you’re not gonna build it next to me then don’t build it at all.

We have the potential for building an arts and entertainment District around the Cajun Home Boulevard and Bertrand Dr. Corridor.

By all means, why let a good idea, get in the way of the rampant parochialism that exists in our area
    Preach CM. Don’t forget the S. College extension bridge, a NIMBY that impacted political people. Pushed back burner so hard it’s no longer on the radar. Until 49 is built, just watch.

My concern is doing this right and not being some half cocked hurry up and start this for appearances sake just before LCG’s elections. Seems like almost everything LCG big infrastructure wise that’s been pushed is in some state of litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    If you take a look at the Master Plan I linked in the OP, a performing arts center at that location has been a vision of the master plan for more than a decade. It will hopefully spur development around that area (again take a look at the master plan). A renovated Cajun Field and a new state-of-the-art performing arts center would be great for that area of campus.
    Why? So they can schedule another event to compete with our games?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    That will happen. The promoters ask for open dates. The venue doesn’t ever or will say “but there’s a football game”. It’s not how it works or ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    You do realize the Heymann Center already does this? And the new PAC will simply replace this.

But its an antiquated facility. LGMC taking over this location could lead to the creation of a medical school here in Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    I think UL would get to use the performance center for selected performances. Help our students perform with more modern equipment and much better acoustics. Helps anchor the retail part of master plan. I do like idea of a smaller performance center downtown. Traffic is a major concern.
    We also have a hospitality management degree. An entertainment district would work hand-in-hand with this.

And make no mistake, infrastructure will be an issue. Water and sewer will need upgrading regardless of where the new PAC is built.

But remember the cost overruns for Jefferson Streetscape? If I'm not mistaken, when the subsurface was exposed, the water and sewer lines were obsolete, substandard, inadequate, and in general disrepair. Replacement jacked the price up. I'm sure this would be the case with a downtown location.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Preach CM. Don’t forget the S. College extension bridge, a NIMBY that impacted political people. Pushed back burner so hard it’s no longer on the radar. Until 49 is built, just watch.

My concern is doing this right and not being some half cocked hurry up and start this for appearances sake just before LCG’s elections. Seems like almost everything LCG big infrastructure wise that’s been pushed is in some state of litigation.
    Absolutely agree.

I'd love to see a pedestrian under/over pass on Congress (if we're gonna do it right).

The new center needs to be across from Cajun field. There is nothing good that happens downtown after dark.

Can we put the new top golf across the street instead?

My point is with LCG selling the Heyman property to LGMC, relocating the PAC to Congress/Cajundome Blvd., LGMC using the Heyman property expand its facility, and there being a potential public medical school at UL, here in Lafayette.

10. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    That will happen. The promoters ask for open dates. The venue doesn’t ever or will say “but there’s a football game”. It’s not how it works or ever will.
    But not only does it compete for eyes it takes away parking.

11. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    You do realize the Heymann Center already does this? And the new PAC will simply replace this.

But its an antiquated facility. LGMC taking over this location could lead to the creation of a medical school here in Lafayette.
    I’m not seeing a medical school in Lafayette that’s not part of the LSU system.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I was told recently by someone high up in the medical community (in the know) that UL will be getting a medical school within the next 10 years. I asked him if we were just going to rent space similar to what ULM did, and said, "no, it will be UL's medical school".
    We'll see.

13. Default Re: Lafayette Performing Arts Center - Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I was told recently by someone high up in the medical community (in the know) that UL will be getting a medical school within the next 10 years. I asked him if we were just going to rent space similar to what ULM did, and said, "no, it will be UL's medical school".
    We'll see.
    That is great news if true. You are clearly more in tune with the medical world than most of us and I hope that your source is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    We'll see.
    Being OLGH is reportedly the biggest cardiovascular center between Houston and NOLA, the base is being built.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Remember, LSU ran UMC and then transferred UMC over to LGMC several years back

Now LGMC has Ochsner in it corner and I don't see LSU trying to regain that footprint they had in UMC they subsequently abandoned.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information