Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Poor Coaches

Default Re: Poor Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    We all know what we lost in graduation, portal, and coaching staff, even video guys.

That 13-1 team got there ass kicked by a 4 win Texas then won 13 straight games against peer competition. 8 of those 13 were one score games. So if you look at how much adjusting needed to be made this year….. before yesterday every game this year was a one score game late in the 4th quarter, usm and rice made finals 2 score games. Any realistic person can understand how close we are to last years team as a program. Some of y’all are acting like Dez and the hiring of Dez set us back 100 years.

I think this program is building depth well and playing it. So I think we will be good next year. My only major concern is QB. They can have all the talent in the world but if they don’t have IT they don’t win consistently.
    Nick D said Napier also took our calf massage guy. LOL.

2. Default Re: Poor Coaches

It’s tough to keep your herd going without your calf massage guy . . .

Q

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Is Coach 'B' Stokley?
    Stokley won more than 2 games in 87.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I’m just glad we did a well vetted national search last year just like we did when hiring Hud and Napier.

Always good to go through the process.
    My concern is that is that it floats a perception out there, with recruits/community, that we are not serious about football.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Every top-25 team loses players.

It is still a huge advantage to have been ranked the year before, in both planning and recruiting.
    You are correct. But last year was the first time they were lost to the portal. If there were no transfer portal in college football and we still had the 2 RB, and OL, the DB, LB and WR that left through the portal we’d be talking about playing in the conference championship game right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    My concern is that is that it floats a perception out there, with recruits/community, that we are not serious about football.
    Bingo.

That was the main point behind my sarcastic comment. If we went through the process and decided Dez was the best fit, then fine. Winning seasons or losing seasons, at least we carried out the process. Historically good programs miss from time to time.

But if we didn’t even go through a real vetting process, then that’s a complete failure.

7. Default Re: Poor Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Did any of them inherit a top 25 program that had just won 13 games the previous year?
    Billy inherited a team with the talent to become a top 25 program. Look at the 2017 roster - Elijah Mitchell, Trey Ragas, Raymond Calais, JaMarcus Bradley, Robert Hunt, Kevin Dotson, and Levi Lewis to name a few with a number of them still playing on the team that won 13 games. Plus no portal and NIL to compete with during Billy's tenure. Here is the 2017 roster - https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/roster/2017 if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Bingo.

That was the main point behind my sarcastic comment. If we went through the process and decided Dez was the best fit, then fine. Winning seasons or losing seasons, at least we carried out the process. Historically good programs miss from time to time.

But if we didn’t even go through a real vetting process, then that’s a complete failure.
    Doc said as he was doing interviews and going through resumes Mike’s name kept coming up and he always seemed to end up back at Mike. So in his press conference to introduce Mike it sounded like he went through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by WestUCajun View Post
    Billy inherited a team with the talent to become a top 25 program. Look at the 2017 roster - Elijah Mitchell, Trey Ragas, Raymond Calais, JaMarcus Bradley, Robert Hunt, Kevin Dotson, and Levi Lewis to name a few with a number of them still playing on the team that won 13 games. Plus no portal and NIL to compete with during Billy's tenure. Here is the 2017 roster - https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/roster/2017 if you are interested

Every time I see Jordan Davis I scratch my head. Dude had all the physical tools to play the position size, speed, very strong arm. He could just never figure it out.

And Des inherited 3 straight recruiting classes ranked #1 in conference.

The talent is not a problem.

Regression from back to back top 25 years is ok…fighting to become bowl eligible is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Doc said as he was doing interviews and going through resumes Mike’s name kept coming up and he always seemed to end up back at Mike. So in his press conference to introduce Mike it sounded like he went through the process.
    He also said Marlin wins 75% of his games, so maybe we shouldn’t listen to closely to what he says.

12. Default Re: Poor Coaches

Regression from back to back top 25 years is ok…fighting to become bowl eligible is not.
    Lack of experienced talent is a problem. We also lost some players from those #1 ranked classes to the portal and pros.

What in your opinion is the problem if it isn't talent?

He also said Marlin wins 75% of his games, so maybe we shouldn’t listen to closely to what he says.
    This.

Lack of experienced talent is a problem. We also lost some payers from those #1 ranked classes to the portal and pros.
    Everyone kept saying we had depth and experience due to multiple players subbing in and out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information