Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIP: Raymond Blanco

Default Re: RIP: Raymond Blanco

RIP Coach...his office was always open, for better or worse...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    RIP Coach...his office was always open, for better or worse...
    Yeah, definitely a unique piece of UL history. My personal experiences were fine but I know others…not so much.

Very nice tribute video. May God bless you Raymond.

6. Default Re: RIP: Raymond Blanco

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Very nice tribute video. May God bless you Raymond.
    ….lIn ‘63 he signed me to play at UL….I think I was his first signee as he had just come from CHSNI and was new to the college scene and NO…..but his impact on This area was soon a major part of the football program…..later after leaving law school he got me to go back to UL in the FB program……he did so much behind the scenes to help the university but some things not so favorable to many….a bunch of sun rises and sets since that night in ‘63 and glad I got a visit in at his house last week…..got to sing him a lil song I composed decades ago for him and told him that at Grand Coteau (his grave site) he would be surrounded by Jesuits…..lasting memories Coach!

RIP. Never had any personal dealings with him, but I appreciate the contributions he and our late Governor gave to our university and area.

Anyone else got some stories to share like Boomer?

Scroll down to the video at the end of the article.
    It is about 30 minutes long.
    https://www.nola.com/news/politics/r...ad0a7c5d0.html

always sad about a passing. but, that said, after my experience with him [took his deposition], i was not a fan.

Still remember him standing in front of the student bleachers behind the opponents bench at Blackham covering his eyes and shaking his head at the antics taking place.

11. Default Re: RIP: Raymond Blanco

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    always sad about a passing. but, that said, after my experience with him [took his deposition], i was not a fan.
    It’s because you are so mean in depositions

RIP Coach. Thanks for all that you have done for our family. First taking my Daddy under your wings when his Daddy died, when he was in middle school, in NI back in the 60's. Then helping my siblings and me at USL / UL when our Daddy passed, at a very young age, in the 80's. We appreciated your help.

I never had any direct dealings with Coach Blanco. However, as a child I would attend USL football games at old McNaspy stadium with my parents when he was an assistant coach under Russ Faulkenberry. Back then, communication between coaches on the sidelines and those in the press box was done by walkie-talkies or other primative means of communication. For those that were not around back then, the football field at McNaspy was surronded by a cinder running track. I can recall Coach Blanco always being very emotional on the sidelines during games. The one thing that I always remembered, and has remained etched in my memory, is during a game (I think against La Tech) he got so pizzed off that he slammed his walkie-talkie or headset down so hard on the track that it shattered into 100's of pieces! I was little at the time, but he always scared me every time I saw him after that!!!! LOL!!!

Brand new freshman, getting into trouble on campus. Gave us a scary speech, then a little on campus community service and didn't rat us out to our parents. For whatever other faults he may have had, he was good at that particular job.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I never had any direct dealings with Coach Blanco. However, as a child I would attend USL football games at old McNaspy stadium with my parents when he was an assistant coach under Russ Faulkenberry. Back then, communication between coaches on the sidelines and those in the press box was done by walkie-talkies or other primative means of communication. For those that were not around back then, the football field at McNaspy was surronded by a cinder running track. I can recall Coach Blanco always being very emotional on the sidelines during games. The one thing that I always remembered, and has remained etched in my memory, is during a game (I think against La Tech) he got so pizzed off that he slammed his walkie-talkie or headset down so hard on the track that it shattered into 100's of pieces! I was little at the time, but he always scared me every time I saw him after that!!!! LOL!!!
    Same era, my foggy memory recalls him breaking clipboard on a players helmet...In my USL days, I was a dorm floor counselor, my interactions with him were always positive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information