Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Special year in Basketball

Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Being our commissioner is a basketball guy, that might be one of multiple starting points when the search time arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So since there is still a chance Marlin is here beyond this year, what are the criteria to measure out if he stays are not? What are the goals? What happens if he wins the league like in 17-18 and ____s the bed in the conference tournament? It can happen, especially with the new additions making it tougher this year. I think this needs to be discussed if the university is open to keeping him.
    We can have this discussion, for entertainment purposes. History shows that the administration does not pay much attention to the views expressed on this forum on this issue. Having said that, I will give an opinion which I think is pretty close to how things are being viewed at this time. A championship of any sort, regular season or tournament will result in retainment. I don't think a new contract will be more than two years. Any conference finish less than third place results in a change. Now if the results are in between those two scenarios, I don't have a clue as to what will occur. I think Express had the right idea. Let's enjoy any success we do have. Again, this is just opinion. I could be completely off base but don't think I am.

Back to the original premise of this thread. I have no idea if this will be a special season as it is way too early for that type of prediction. However, there is a highlight from the Tech game shown on the Ragin Cajuns MBB Instagram Page that gives me encouragement going forward. Terrance Lewis has the ball at the top of the key when he drops a pass down on the block to Jordan Brown. That is generally referred to as big man high-low action with the guy on the block trying to score from that point. However Jordan notices at least three Techsters are converging on him and sees Greg Williams Jr. cutting to the basket from the corner near the Cajuns bench. He drops it off nicely to Greg who dunks it as part of the late second half surge we enjoyed last Thursday night. If you get a chance to view it, check it out. Beautiful basketball play demonstrated in that sequence. It might encourage you that we could have more success as well going forward this season.

“A special season means a special decade”- dr savoie at the big fish’s extension ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You remember asking the same question when they were replacing Bustle in football? There's always a young coach who needs a shot. See Chris Beard who was ultra successful at UALR and is now at Texas. This isn't even a question.
    So you’re looking for a guy that’ll come in for a year or 2 and then move on?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    wont get conference record for wins that way…did you know marlin was also second in total wins in his prior conference as well. (if cajuns transferred he could double dip)

7. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

One, two or four.

Should keep the media focused and Louisiana on the front page as well as the fan base on its toes.

Rather have a guy that wins and moves than the multiple lifers we have working on their LASAR system retirement, rarely or never delivering a NCAA tournament team.

It’s not just basketball either.

That’s how we end up USLing things…people getting too comfortable on both sides of the management fence, which leads to complacency which leads to “meh”, she/he’s a good person, justified by fans loving to “touch the cloak” and letting others know they did.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    That’s how we end up USLing things…people getting too comfortable on both sides of the management fence, which leads to complacency which leads to “meh”, she/he’s a good person, justified by fans loving to “touch the cloak” and letting others know they did.
    RP Quote of the Day Award right here

At the end of the day, the ones who want to "touch the cloak" make it all about them over the program. It brings me back to when Mike Singletary coached the 49ers and benched Vernon Davis after getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when he said, "It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win."

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    One, two or four.

Should keep the media focused and Louisiana on the front page as well as the fan base on its toes.
    Front page of what?

I'd be open to that if that guy comes in and gets us an NCAA tournament win.

It's better than where we are now where consistently fail to make the tournament.

Again, remember saying this about Hud or Napier when they were hired? The whole argument was that if they come in and build something, someone bigger will come along and scoop them up from us but at least they've built something that you can now hopefully build upon. I remember plenty of people saying they hope that particular coach is only here for 3 or 4 years because it means they were successful and moved on. It's a slippery slope.

Of course there's the chance someone can come in, be ultra successful and leave and we never see that level again but its better than consistently underperforming according to expectations.

Also, the scenario you suggested happens very little in CBB. You would likely look at a longer time period to build. Beard was an exception, not the norm in that situation. I just used him since he started out in the SBC and is now a major D-1 coach. I'm sure plenty of people didn't hear of him before he was given his shot.

My question to you is are you happy having Marlin stay here another 5-10 years? With the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We can have this discussion, for entertainment purposes. History shows that the administration does not pay much attention to the views expressed on this forum on this issue. Having said that, I will give an opinion which I think is pretty close to how things are being viewed at this time. A championship of any sort, regular season or tournament will result in retainment. I don't think a new contract will be more than two years. Any conference finish less than third place results in a change. Now if the results are in between those two scenarios, I don't have a clue as to what will occur. I think Express had the right idea. Let's enjoy any success we do have. Again, this is just opinion. I could be completely off base but don't think I am.
    Ball movement in general was good, especially in the first half and particularly when Michael Thomas was not in the game. I'm not sure what the deal is with him but he pounds the ball too much and the game slows down when he's running the point. We won't be able to do that against teams like JMU.

I'm concerned about how many minutes we are playing Brown and Lewis. To ultimately be successful this season, we are going to have to find a way to spare those guys some minutes and actually get production from those who replace them. Bench depth is a concern at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post

It's better than where we are now where consistently fail to make the tournament.
    Pick a sport, we got plenty of options.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post

Not only do we fail to make the tournament, we really don't ever challenge for the conference title in general. Our average position of finish over his tenure has been roughly 4th or 5th with maybe 2 regular season titles? Not exactly raising banners.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information