Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: Special year in Basketball

1. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

I have never, and never want Louisiana to lose.

Abstract: Support for keeping a coach who only wins every 6 years or so, equates to wanting your team to lose or break even over 80% of the time.

Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    It’s repulsive to want your team to lose based on one’s personal agenda. Of course, amongst the few who want this, some have a person in mind. It’s no secret. I got a better chance of making 100 years old.

Not going to argue with people like this. Just disappear until change happens. BT,DT.
    Like it or not this university is and will always be a basketball school. Yet we accept and allow mediocrity for nearly 20 years because of 2 good seasons.

When we talk about the good ole days in basketball it’s only because the university has allowed and embraced underachievers to lead the program.

Marlin has a proven track record. 2 post season appearances in 13 years. In a weaker SBC than his predecessors. We should be in the dance every other year.

Most resources, highest paid coach, shouldn’t equal ____ poor results.

Some of y’all may take that as I want the players to fail. I don’t care about the names on the back of the jersey. But that Louisiana brand on their chest matters. That brand should be associated with the highest success. Not underperforming.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Like it or not this university is and will always be a basketball school. Yet we accept and allow mediocrity for nearly 20 years because of 2 good seasons.

When we talk about the good ole days in basketball it’s only because the university has allowed and embraced underachievers to lead the program.

Marlin has a proven track record. 2 post season appearances in 13 years. In a weaker SBC than his predecessors. We should be in the dance every other year.

Some of y’all may take that as I want the players to fail. I don’t care about the names on the back of the jersey. But that Louisiana brand on their chest matters. That brand should be associated with the highest success. Not underperforming.
    Quite the conundrum

4. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Under the current scenario Cajun4life supports the players 5 out of 6 years. Every one else (including myself) 1 out of 6 years.

Conundrum indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Under the current scenario Cajun4life supports the players 5 out of 6 years. Every one else (including myself) 1 out of 6 years.

Conundrum indeed.
    Your logic is hoping the basketball team wins every year equates to not supporting the players 5 of 6 years….I don’t get your logic. My logic is hoping the team wins every year does not equate to supporting the decision to keep the coach.

I am a Cajun fan regardless of who the coach is. I will never hope we lose.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Just like the 2017-18 team. Here’s hoping for good health this time.

My goodness, this sounds like the portion of the softball crowd that was butt hurt after the last HC change.
    Staying injury free will be even more imperative for this team than the 17-18 team. While Brown may be better than any individual from that team this team doesn’t have nearly the depth that one did.

Training Re: Special year in Basketball

I’d just rather make the postseason more than 15% of a coaches tenure. Marlin consistently over sells and underperforms.

13 years…1 NIT and 1 March Madness. Absolutely not good enough.

But he will win the league this year…get a 5 year extension and we will be back to mediocre.
    So your position on WBB is? 1 NCAA in 50+ years. No conference tournament championships ever. The sole NCAA bid was an at large.

The common denominator with both our BB coaches is a decade + in the retirement system. Which leads to my concern with CMD. Let’s say we get “Bustle Ball” results for the term of his contract. Do we renew him, since obviously both BB programs obviously have “settled” on meh.

The Houston Astros just won the World Series and fired their general manager!

I have never, and never want Louisiana to lose.

Abstract: Support for keeping a coach who only wins every 6 years or so, equates to wanting your team to lose or break even over 80% of the time.
    This logic is so bad that I hope your professors at UL don't see it. One of the worst examples of a UL education I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    The Houston Astros just won the World Series and fired their general manager!
    Incorrect, they offered a one year contract and he did not accept it.

11. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    This logic is so bad that I hope your professors at UL don't see it. One of the worst examples of a UL education I have seen.
    Hypothetically lets say someone wanted to keep Jerry Baldwin as head football coach in 2002.

Knowing his pedigree, they were actually rooting and hoping for the team to lose, and were not player friendly.

Hypothetically lets say someone wanted to keep Jerry Baldwin as head football coach in 2002.

Knowing his pedigree, they were actually rooting and hoping for the team to lose, and were not player friendly.
    Totally different argument you are making here.

Being against keeping Baldwin (or anyone) as head coach is one thing.

Actively rooting against a head coach winning during the season is a totally different scenario.

A much closer analogy is that someone bet Florida State to win today via the moneyline and they claim they are a "Cajun Fan". During the game, they are not happy that the Cajuns are winning, because they stand to lose their bet.

And how would hoping that the Cajuns lose to La Tech the other night help the brand? It would not EVER help the brand.

14. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Totally different argument you are making here.

Being against keeping Baldwin (or anyone) as head coach is one thing.

Actively rooting against a head coach winning during the season is a totally different scenario.

A much closer analogy is that someone bet Florida State to win today via the moneyline and they claim they are a "Cajun Fan". During the game, they are not happy that the Cajuns are winning, because they stand to lose their bet.
    I would never hope for Marlin (or any headcoach) to lose.

But this whole discussion hinges on what hasn't happened in past offseasons and what will or won't happen this coming offseaon. Keeping any coach that underperforms is an open endorcement for losing.

I don't gamble (I have never even bought a lottery ticket) so your betting analogy doesn't fit me, but I can see how it might fit some.

15. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

I'm a highschool cropout.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information