Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10

Thread: Special year in Basketball

1. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Ball movement in general was good, especially in the first half and particularly when Michael Thomas was not in the game. I'm not sure what the deal is with him but he pounds the ball too much and the game slows down when he's running the point. We won't be able to do that against teams like JMU.

I'm concerned about how many minutes we are playing Brown and Lewis. To ultimately be successful this season, we are going to have to find a way to spare those guys some minutes and actually get production from those who replace them. Bench depth is a concern at this point.
    At this point it is, you are correct, but that will change when a few things happen.

#1--Kobe Julien coming back. Kobe is not as physical as Lewis or Brown, but can give you minutes that will spell one of them, specifically Lewis.
    #2--Joe Charles and Isaiah Richards have to continue to improve and I think they will.
    #3--We are playing allot of guys right now (10/11), that won't be the case when conference play rolls around, by that point your rotation will be 8. Here is what I see.

PG--Fulks
    SG--Garnett
    SF--Williams
    PF--Lewis
    C--Brown

Bench will consist of:

Julien if and when healthy
    Charles
    Thomas as you will need a backup PG but his minutes will be limited unless foul trouble
    Dalcourt

You will see others play spot minutes, but the 9 listed above will gobble up the majority of the minutes. Thomas' minutes will not be as high as they are now and much of this will depend on the health of Kobe. If he is ready and 100% this team becomes much better.

Just my opinion.

Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    At this point it is, you are correct, but that will change when a few things happen.

#1--Kobe Julien coming back. Kobe is not as physical as Lewis or Brown, but can give you minutes that will spell one of them, specifically Lewis.
    #2--Joe Charles and Isaiah Richards have to continue to improve and I think they will.
    #3--We are playing allot of guys right now (10/11), that won't be the case when conference play rolls around, by that point your rotation will be 8. Here is what I see.

PG--Fulks
    SG--Garnett
    SF--Williams
    PF--Lewis
    C--Brown

Bench will consist of:

Charles
    Thomas as you will need a backup PG but his minutes will be limited unless foul trouble
    Dalcourt

You will see others play spot minutes, but the 9 listed above will gobble up the majority of the minutes. Thomas' minutes will not be as high as they are now and much of this will depend on the health of Kobe. If he is ready and 100% this team becomes much better.

Just my opinion.
    So who spells brown and Lewis? Charles and julien? That would be some small thin lineups. We need Richards in the middle I think.

Also would be curious to see Richards at the 5 and brown at the 4 Lewis at 3 for a few minutes to see what kinda havoc we could cause in the half court.

4. Default Re: Special year in Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Front page of what?
    The web ... the term carried over.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

PG--Fulks
    SG--Garnett
    SF--Williams
    PF--Lewis
    C--Brown

Bench will consist of:

Charles
    Dalcourt

Just my opinion.
    If you look at a box score, we are playing a lot of guys right now. However, in meaningful games this season, our starters are averaging well over 30 minutes each with much lower minute contributions from the bench. I think that shows the trust Marlin has in the starters but also may show that he's not as confident in the guys off the bench.

Julien will have to help in the front court but he won't be able to do what Lewis or Brown do in regards to his rebounding, rim protecting and defending opposite bigs. My biggest concern is running JB down, especially through the grind of the conference season. Hopefully one of our other bigs can step up and be productive.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10

Thread Information