Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tailgating Discussion

UL Football Tailgating Discussion

I think tailgating (or lack of) is one of our biggest issues.

Let's discuss what is wrong with it and what can be done to fix it.

Please keep all posts related to tailgating. Thanks.

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

Posted by MAT in another thread:

The tailgating thing is what gets me the most..

It's obviously not working but they're acting like the real estate is inventory. Which I get; you have to bring in revenue somehow. Especially when donors aren't donor'ing. But at some point, you have to evolve, adjust and accommodate people. You can't just look at the inventory and refuse to negotiate on price. There is a reason every retail store has a clearance rack.

Change the model. Give some spots away. Lower the RV prices to get more people interested. (You want 7 RVs at 3k a year or 70 RVs at $300 a year: Optics matter)
    We will never get consistent crowds back until we fix the tailgate situation.

You can't fix the problem addressing the symptoms one by one. The admin does not care about the fan. If you "fix" tailgating and still can't solve the concessions or PA system, etc., you get nowhere. Prove to fans that it's about more than just the dollar and then you can start addressing the symptoms individually.

Everything. It's the most inorganic tailgating situation I've ever seen.

Let me start with pricing.

Maybe we could have a premium area, a pay by the game area, and a free area. Maybe some area inside the fence far from the stadium could be designated "first come, first serve" and the premium spots (by the Oak, along Reinhardt where they have Cajunwalk, etc.) should be premium.

Here is our current pricing for tailgating. It appears the cheapest you can get started in tailgating is a $925 investment: $500 RCAF donation + $425 (TG4 or TG5). This is just to be let on the property, no tailgating equipment included.

Is their any other G5 school requiring this type of investment? ...or even a P5?

Attached Images Attached Images  

First fix the inside of the stadium game management and the outside will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post

Maybe we could have a premium area, a pay by the game area, and a free area. Maybe some area inside the fence far from the stadium could be designated "first come, first serve" and the premium spots (by the Oak, along Reinhardt where they have Cajunwalk, etc.) should be premium.

Here is our current pricing for tailgating. It appears the cheapest you can get started in tailgating is a $925 investment: $500 RCAF donation + $425 (TG4 or TG5). This is just to be let on the property, no tailgating equipment included.

Is their any other G5 school requiring this type of investment? ...or even a P5?
    Looking at a few of our opponents that have it easy to find.

Southeastern Louisiana - Reserve online (Pricing not available because this week sold out for their Gumbo Cookoff)

Rice - Tailgate area with multiple prices on per game basis.
    10x10: $200
    10x20: $300
    20x20: $400
    20x30: $500
    30x30: $600

South Alabama - Different options
    Main area for year reserved spot: $1,800 and you can have them add a satellite TV for another $1,800
    Per Game:
    10x10: $395
    10x20: $695
    15x20: $995
    20x20: $1, 295

Southern Miss - Free on first come first serve basis with lots of rules

Texas State - Reserved says "Donation Required"
    $20 in the parking lot first come first serve
    Plus lot of other options and prices.

Not sure on donation required to have access to these spots.

Florida State has free first come first serve tailgating on their intramural fields located less than 800 yards from the football stadium.

I know CajunT has said in the past that the athletic department needs to make money somehow (which is valid), but it's obvious now that tailgating pricing was done wrong...to the detriment of attendance and gameday experience.

1. Pricing needs to be adjusted to fill spots farther away
    2. Single game spots should be able to be purchased (see SLU's FestMaps implementation of reserving a spot)
    3. Reduce or eliminate RCAF donation for spot (if we don't care about the small fish anyway)

. Reduce or eliminate RCAF donation for spot
    (we don't care about the small fish anyway).

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Looking at a few of our opponents that have it easy to find.
    South Alabama - Different options
    Main area for year reserved spot: $1,800 and you can have them add a satellite TV for another $1,800
    Per Game:
    10x10: $395
    10x20: $695
    15x20: $995
    20x20: $1, 295
    Where are you getting this information? Here is what I find on South Alabama tailgating:

Tailgating for personal entertainment and non-commercial purposes is permitted throughout campus on game day, subject to all other provisions of this policy and other applicable University policies.

Tailgating set-ups may begin at 5 pm the day prior to game day. Areas are first come, first served.

SOURCE: https://usajaguars.com/documents/202...es.pdf?id=8240

I am talking about regular do it yourself tailgating, not corporate parties. I'm sure every university has some high dollar turnkey set ups with corporate big wigs walking around. That is not the tailgating being discussed for Cajun Field purposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Where are you getting this information? Here is what I find on South Alabama tailgating:

Tailgating for personal entertainment and non-commercial purposes is permitted throughout campus on game day, subject to all other provisions of this policy and other applicable University policies.

Tailgating set-ups may begin at 5 pm the day prior to game day. Areas are first come, first served.

SOURCE: https://usajaguars.com/documents/202...es.pdf?id=8240

I am talking about regular do it yourself tailgating, not corporate parties. I'm sure every university has some high dollar turnkey set ups with corporate big wigs walking around. That is not the tailgating being discussed for Cajun Field purposes.

https://www.tailgaterconcierge.com/south-alabama/

A better way to compare is finding schools with off campus stadiums like ours. That's more apples to apples than schools with stadiums in the middle of campus.

While this is true, most people who tailgate don't park at the spot so they will also need to purchase parking passes which require the normal $500 investment just to be able to buy the parking passes themselves which I believe were around $75/pass depending on which zone you chose. This is when I gave up my tailgating spot.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    https://www.tailgaterconcierge.com/south-alabama/

A better way to compare is finding schools with off campus stadiums like ours. That's more apples to apples than schools with stadiums in the middle of campus.
    I notice three things (just looking at USA, Southern Miss, Rice, Ole Miss and Moo State - I realized the last two are outside of our peer group):

1) We don't offer single game rentals; looks like most others do.

2) We don't offer add-ons (tents, tables, chairs, and then TVs, generators.

3) Our prices seem to be at least competitive, and (from what I'm seeing) cheaper.

Am I missing something?

14. Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

We have one of the largest parking lots surrounding the stadium in the country. Additionally it was even larger before the Cajun Dome was built. I’m sure they never intended for it to be a revenue stream when built, but a conduit to building a fan base. We’ve totally reversed that concept and the results are more than obvious.

I had another long post queued up but I just don't care anymore. I'm with what BWK said in another thread now, why do I as a fan have to worry about these things when people are paid to. Apathy is creeping in when it concerns tailgating and gameday experience. I'm just going to show up and support when I can.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information