Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 237

Thread: Tailgating Discussion

  1. #16
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Let me start with pricing.

    Maybe we could have a premium area, a pay by the game area, and a free area. Maybe some area inside the fence far from the stadium could be designated "first come, first serve" and the premium spots (by the Oak, along Reinhardt where they have Cajunwalk, etc.) should be premium.

    Here is our current pricing for tailgating. It appears the cheapest you can get started in tailgating is a $925 investment: $500 RCAF donation + $425 (TG4 or TG5). This is just to be let on the property, no tailgating equipment included.

    Is their any other G5 school requiring this type of investment? ...or even a P5?
    That's the investment for that area. I saw volleyball fans tailgating in the lot across from Cajun field all weekend long when I passed by there. I am sure it cost them nothing. Football could do the same if they want to tailgate for free. The University could look at changing the price structure inside the gates of CF but I wouldn't give anything for free there. The program has to make money. Full disclosure I do get a spot in TG1 every year since 1996.

    IMO they should open the grass area around fraternity row and Bourgeois hall for first come first serve free tailgating. It gives you a little more of an on campus feel that the open field.

  2. #17

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    I'm tired of hearing about our tailgating being some crazy unique issue for us because the stadium is not on campus.

    Every game we literally have HUNDREDS of unused tailgating spots at our stadium. Is that because our stadium is off campus?

    I'm going to need someone to explain why tailgating spots are free when your stadium is on campus, but $500 (+donation) if your stadium is off campus.

    ...and it's not because of "limited space". There are a lot of tailgating spaces around Cajun Field that are currently not being used. There is no waiting list for tailgating. Available supply seems high, so I assume demand is not.

    I'm not saying make it free... maybe revisit the pricing and try to get the empty spots sold.


  3. #18
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Florida State has free first come first serve tailgating on their intramural fields located less than 800 yards from the football stadium.

    I know CajunT has said in the past that the athletic department needs to make money somehow (which is valid), but it's obvious now that tailgating pricing was done wrong...to the detriment of attendance and gameday experience.

    1. Pricing needs to be adjusted to fill spots farther away
    2. Single game spots should be able to be purchased (see SLU's FestMaps implementation of reserving a spot)
    3. Reduce or eliminate RCAF donation for spot (if we don't care about the small fish anyway)
    There was single game TG spot availabilities at the beginning of the year. They just didn't advertise them well.

  4. #19

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    I notice three things (just looking at USA, Southern Miss, Rice, Ole Miss and Moo State - I realized the last two are outside of our peer group):

    1) We don't offer single game rentals; looks like most others do.

    2) We don't offer add-ons (tents, tables, chairs, and then TVs, generators.

    3) Our prices seem to be at least competitive, and (from what I'm seeing) cheaper.

    Am I missing something?
    3) knowing how much something costs somewhere else without knowing also how well it sells somewhere else tells you nothing. Rice for example: they charge $200 per game for their cheapest spots. UL fans outnumbered Rice fans 2 or 3 to 1 in Houston and tailgating was next to nonexistent. For our admin to say, “we aren’t overcharging. Look. Rice charges more” would be beyond inept when their parking lot is empty. These schools can charge these prices all they want. It doesn’t mean the spots sell. We should be looking for the price point that WILL sell in Lafayette, LA and the reasons why our old tailgaters or donors have stopped.

    Again this goes back to my theory that this admin doesn’t really care to know why things have dwindled because this would require 1. Effort and 2. Self reflection if those answers involved our practices. We refuse to do the work. There are two former tailgate spot holders and/or RCAF members in this thread alone. These people hold the answers we should be seeking. Do we care enough to pick up the damn phone?

  5. #20
    CajunRage is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    That's the investment for that area. I saw volleyball fans tailgating in the lot across from Cajun field all weekend long when I passed by there. I am sure it cost them nothing. Football could do the same if they want to tailgate for free. The University could look at changing the price structure inside the gates of CF but I wouldn't give anything for free there. The program has to make money. Full disclosure I do get a spot in TG1 every year since 1996.

    IMO they should open the grass area around fraternity row and Bourgeois hall for first come first serve free tailgating. It gives you a little more of an on campus feel that the open field.
    Question, what makes more money? Selling all of the tailgating spots and getting 12k in the stands OR getting 30k+ in the stands? I'm not necessarily advocating for giving away for free but the "the program has to make money" mindset is incredibly flawed. Is it a blocker to growing attendance? We don't know. Is it an enabler to growing attendance? Absolutely not.

    Edit: I don't remember if I did the math or someone else posted it here, but the added ticket sales needed to break even on the tailgating revenue wouldn't even get close to 30k in attendance. 30k+ every home game would make exponentially more money and then you're going to grow RCAF in the process.

  6. #21
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    That's the investment for that area. I saw volleyball fans tailgating in the lot across from Cajun field all weekend long when I passed by there. I am sure it cost them nothing. Football could do the same if they want to tailgate for free. The University could look at changing the price structure inside the gates of CF but I wouldn't give anything for free there. The program has to make money. Full disclosure I do get a spot in TG1 every year since 1996.

    IMO they should open the grass area around fraternity row and Bourgeois hall for first come first serve free tailgating. It gives you a little more of an on campus feel that the open field.
    Because when you are on campus tailgate spots aren't squared, lined and numbered as we have. You just go find any ground in which to throw your tent that isn't already taken.

  7. #22
    KajunKrazy is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Question, what makes more money? Selling all of the tailgating spots and getting 12k in the stands OR getting 30k+ in the stands? I'm not necessarily advocating for giving away for free but the "the program has to make money" mindset is incredibly flawed. Is it a blocker to growing attendance? We don't know. Is it an enabler to growing attendance? Absolutely not.
    What makes you think giving away TG spots would generate that kind of crowd? The apathy for this program in this community has nothing to do with the price of TG spots. If you give them away you will have the same amount of people there but now you are making 0 on them.

  8. #23

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Probably nobody will agree with me here, but I'm right :-)

    There should be an online auction for spots every year. For spots that were rented the previous year, the current "owner" has the right to match the high bid and keep his spot.

    This would maximize how much we get for each spot, given whatever the current actual demand is, and would identify the true value of each of the spots.


  9. #24

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    I can guarantee there is a direct correlation between the amount of people tailgating before the game and the amount of people who go in the stadium.

    I don't ever recall seeing a ghost town in the tailgating area and then 30K in the stands.

    All of our largest crowds had a huge turnout for tailgating.


  10. #25

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    3) knowing how much something costs somewhere else without knowing also how well it sells somewhere else tells you nothing. Rice for example: they charge $200 per game for their cheapest spots. UL fans outnumbered Rice fans 2 or 3 to 1 in Houston and tailgating was next to nonexistent. For our admin to say, “we aren’t overcharging. Look. Rice charges more” would be beyond inept when their parking lot is empty. These schools can charge these prices all they want. It doesn’t mean the spots sell. We should be looking for the price point that WILL sell in Lafayette, LA and the reasons why our old tailgaters or donors have stopped.

    Again this goes back to my theory that this admin doesn’t really care to know why things have dwindled because this would require 1. Effort and 2. Self reflection if those answers involved our practices. We refuse to do the work. There are two former tailgate spot holders and/or RCAF members in this thread alone. These people hold the answers we should be seeking. Do we care enough to pick up the damn phone?
    GreatestStory literally said:

    "Let me start with pricing, "

    and,

    "Is their any other G5 school requiring this type of investment? ...or even a P5?"

    He literally asked for other examples.

    At this point, the only thing I see us doing is offering a considerable number of tailgating spots for free.

    Parking would have to be free. For everybody. The only exception I would have is that you HAVE to buy a ticket or tickets to park for free.

    And tickets would be reduced in price and ALL seats would be on a first come/first served basis.

  11. #26

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    I notice three things (just looking at USA, Southern Miss, Rice, Ole Miss and Moo State - I realized the last two are outside of our peer group):

    1) We don't offer single game rentals; looks like most others do.

    2) We don't offer add-ons (tents, tables, chairs, and then TVs, generators.

    3) Our prices seem to be at least competitive, and (from what I'm seeing) cheaper.

    Am I missing something?
    There was talk after last season about doing single game rentals. It was tried this season but don't know how successful it was.

    The schools that offer the add-ons use a third party vendor, either Tailgate Concierge or RevelXP.

  12. #27

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    There was talk after last season about doing single game rentals. It was tried this season but don't know how successful it was.

    The schools that offer the add-ons use a third party vendor, either Tailgate Concierge or RevelXP.
    1. I've had friends contact the Athletic Department about single game rentals for the RV spots. Paid $500.00.

    2. Yeah, saw that. Deposits must be insane.

  13. #28
    CajunRage is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    What makes you think giving away TG spots would generate that kind of crowd? The apathy for this program in this community has nothing to do with the price of TG spots. If you give them away you will have the same amount of people there but now you are making 0 on them.
    I know what's not generating a crowd.....

  14. #29

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I know what's not generating a crowd.....
    And as I recall from older threads you are a former tailgater, season ticket holder, and RCAF member. Have you ever been contacted by the university for your input?

  15. #30

    Default Re: Tailgating Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post

    IMO they should open the grass area around fraternity row and Bourgeois hall for first come first serve free tailgating. It gives you a little more of an on campus feel that the open field.
    This right here. Been thinking that for a long time

    It would be an awesome spot to tailgate especially for fraternities and students

    It's a natural grove

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Texas Game Discussion
    By BabbForHeisman in forum FOOTBALL
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2005, 06:30 pm
  2. Interesting Discussion Going On
    By shof in forum Conference Matters
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2005, 09:20 am

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •