Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

Default Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

I understand that the university has agreed to lease the property across from Cajun Field (or is it behind the Hilton Gardens?) to the city for $1.00 a year for 30 years to allow for construction of the new auditorium to replace The Heymann Center. Now I know there is still some opposition to this location by the downtown development folks, but I am curious about the effects of this gift and I have some questions for those in the know.

1. Why is the lease free. It would seem that the university got slickered enough already when it sold the Horse Farm to the city on the cheap.

2. Does anyone know the exact location of the new facility. Will it be behind the Lite Center or behind the Hilton? Will this effect Cajun Field parking?

3. How is the university going to monetize this? Is there a plan to lease other property around the center to restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.? If so, how will this effect Cajun Field and the Cajun Dome as far as accessibility?

4. I guess the crux of this question is on the university side is "what's in it for me."

I was actually kind of excited that this location was selected until I saw the part about the dollar a year lease. I thought if the land was sold or leased for a decent sum, the proceeds could help build Cajun Field. But anyway, if you have any insight on this, I would appreciate if you can help me understand what is going on.

Thanks

Default Re: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

The university would be wise to wait on any major deal with LCG until the feds are done poking around. If LCG loses some of these big lawsuits (like working in St. Martin Parish under the cover of darkness), that is coming out of our local pockets to remediate. Can't pay/remediate a legal judgement with federal grant dollars.

3. Default Re: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

They just built all kind of parking for the Heymam center just in time to move it . . .

I don't think the Feds or St Martin Parish will affect this, but whatever. Can anyone address my questions? I am genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    They just built all kind of parking for the Heymam center just in time to move it . . .
    I guess, but the hospital will be paying for that parking as well.

6. Default Re: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

Crawfish we’re giving Lafayette something for nothing again. Lafayette will continue to show thanks by supporting LSUA&M and Baton Rouge.

7. Default Re: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

I'm curious also

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Crawfish we’re giving Lafayette something for nothing again. Lafayette will continue to show thanks by supporting LSUA&M and Baton Rouge.
    From the top rope!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I don't think the Feds or St Martin Parish will affect this, but whatever. Can anyone address my questions? I am genuinely curious.
    Has to do with LCG’s financial capacity to deliver.

We’re talking about LCG building a nine figure building. The present building might be bought out at a third of that. UL would be giving away prime land with nothing built for awhile. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Why the urgency? Election next year?

10. Default Re: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Has to do with LCG’s financial capacity to deliver.

We’re talking about LCG building a nine figure building. The present building might be bought out at a third of that. Would be giving away prime land with nothing built for awhile. Kind of defeats the purpose.
    whut?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The parking garage is for OLGH.

Build it across the street use the parking lot for football use the football parking lot for the performance center over flow and build a pedestrian bridge across congress. Lots of problems solved.

I don’t have any answers for your questions, but why are the downtown development folks against this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I don’t have any answers for your questions, but why are the downtown development folks against this project?
    They're only against locating it away from downtown.

15. Default Re: Performing Arts Center? (semi-off topic)

I guess you’d have to tear down much of downtown and adjacent neighborhoods to build it there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information