Thread: Is CMD Dabo Sweeney or Ellis Johnson?

Default Is CMD Dabo Sweeney or Ellis Johnson?

I am very disappointed in the way our football program has spiraled downward so quickly. Is it too early to panic? Is the downward flight of our football program a trend that will pass if CMD is given more time or will the growth of our football program be impaired for the immediate future? Dabo Sweeney was not a popular hire at Clemson. His first year was moderately successful at 9-4 but his second year in 2010 saw Clemson go 6-6 in the regular season and with a bowl loss ended 6-7. Clemson fans wanted Dabo gone. The players, however, loved Dabo. AD Terry Don Phillips famously retained Dabo and the rest is history. Clemson won the ACC the next year and consecutive ACC titles from 2015-2020 along with national championships in 2016 and 2018. (Billy Napier was OC in 2010 and was fired after the season).

Ellis Johnson became the head coach at Southern Miss after the 2011 season. USM had finished the 2011 season 12-2 and a top 25 ranking and 13 starters returning. USM had a winning record in 18 straight seasons prior to 2012. Under Johnson in 2012 USM went 0-12 and many Southern Miss fans would say their program has never recovered. In the 10 seasons since 2011 Southern Miss is 47-67 with only 4 winning seasons.

So my question is: Is CMD like Dabo Sweeney and if given more time will pay benefits to this program or is he more like Ellis Johnson?

Default Re: Is CMD Dabo Sweeney or Ellis Johnson?

I’m staying out of this one.

Dabi Sweeney is a rare elite quality coach with financial resources. If Martin Hall will financially support athletics, we might know the potential of our coaches and student athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    I am very disappointed in the way our football program has spiraled downward so quickly. Is it too early to panic? Is the downward flight of our football program a trend that will pass if CMD is given more time or will the growth of our football program be impaired for the immediate future? Dabo Sweeney was not a popular hire at Clemson. His first year was moderately successful at 9-4 but his second year in 2010 saw Clemson go 6-6 in the regular season and with a bowl loss ended 6-7. Clemson fans wanted Dabo gone. The players, however, loved Dabo. AD Terry Don Phillips famously retained Dabo and the rest is history. Clemson won the ACC the next year and consecutive ACC titles from 2015-2020 along with national championships in 2016 and 2018. (Billy Napier was OC in 2010 and was fired after the season).

Ellis Johnson became the head coach at Southern Miss in 2011. USM had finished the 2011 season 12-2 and a top 25 ranking and 13 starters returning. USM had a winning record in 18 straight seasons prior to 2012. Under Johnson in 2012 USM went 0-12 and many Southern Miss fans would say their program has never recovered. In the 10 seasons since 2011 Southern Miss is 47-67 with only 4 winning seasons.

So my question is: Is CMD like Dabo Sweeney and if given more time will pay benefits to this program or is he more like Ellis Johnson?
    Didn't Billy punch Dabo in the face? Or was it the gut?

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    I’m staying out of this one.
    Ditto.

The answer is we just don't know. Only time will tell. Go further back and look at Coach K's early years at Duke. There is no doubt that Dr Maggard took a big risk, right now it doesn't look good, but it also is too early to decide.

There is no doubt that Dr Maggard took a big risk, right now it doesn't look good, but it also is too early to decide.
    I agree.

Another thing to remember:

Brian Kelly was a wanted man just a few short weeks ago.

No one knows what turnaround can potentially happen. Or to be completely fair, a downward spiral…

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

No one knows what turnaround can potentially happen. Or spiral…
    Very true. We know one thing now. Brian Kelly and his staff can coach. He was in very bad spot going into the season. Look at their QB spot alone. How did that position look in January and look where it is now.

I see nothing to make me believe we will have a turn around anytime soon. Our playbook looks like a Tecmo Bowl playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post

Ellis Johnson became the head coach at Southern Miss after the 2011 season. USM had finished the 2011 season 12-2 and a top 25 ranking and 13 starters returning. USM had a winning record in 18 straight seasons prior to 2012. Under Johnson in 2012 USM went 0-12 and many Southern Miss fans would say their program has never recovered. In the 10 seasons since 2011 Southern Miss is 47-67 with only 4 winning seasons.

Nobody knows this. Only thing we know is we’ve never had 18 straight winning seasons so can’t be Ellis Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

No one knows what turnaround can potentially happen. Or to be completely fair, a downward spiral…
    Look the game was disappointing for sure, but I saw massive improvement in the OL. We ran the ball really well for the 1st time all season, against a very highly rated defense. That and Woolridge keeping the ball a couple of times on the Read Option was great as well.

Thread Information