Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns QB1

1. Default Re: Cajuns QB1

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The ASU ones weren't getting picked. At least not by that group. USM could be a different story. But there is no other way to deliver a ball like that to a receiver in that position than a fast ball. You throw a curve & it's a pick 6 for sure.
    I didn't say throw a curve, I said throw it where only your receiver can catch it, meaning more towards the sideline. All 4 of the passes that I am talking about were thrown to the inside of the WR's/TE's body, not to the outside. If the DB can make a play on a throw like that then he is a truly special DB, but when you throw it on the inside or to the numbers then it gives him a chance.

You don't want them to have a chance. That type of pass is for a completion and not particularly about Yards after catch, so the throw needs to be on the hands to the outside of the receivers body anywhere else is a mistake. If you throw it to the numbers, it is a mistake, if you throw it at his chest it is a mistake, if you throw it inside his numbers it is a mistake. It should be thrown and caught with his hands extended from his body towards the sideline.

Default Re: Cajuns QB1

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Ben may finally skirt the ills of history. The history that has had his college coaches placing him in second place. He has had two great games. This game against a formidable defense may be the game where he beats history or it may be the game where history repeats itself, again. Making it to the NFL, hell, he needs to work on making it to next week as the starter at Louisiana . . .
    IF this guy makes it to the NFL it will be the history you just stated as the number one factor in getting him there. the number two reason will be a coach that saw the same things I see in this guy who couldn't keep him out of the picture. And it will be the offense that coach has faith in him to run. I have been as down on Mike about the 2 QB thing as anyone the last couple of weeks it occurred. But not for the same reason as a lot of people. I think Mike saw what Ben could be & had to keep giving him a shot against the easy choice to make. the only problem is, it takes a guy like Ben two, or three series to really get settled down & get into the flow of the game. This could also change as Ben's confidence continues to grow. But make no mistake, if Ben goes as far as I think he is capable of going, it will be for the very reasons you just mentioned. Plus he has a ton of ability.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I didn't say throw a curve, I said throw it where only your receiver can catch it, meaning more towards the sideline. All 4 of the passes that I am talking about were thrown to the inside of the WR's/TE's body, not to the outside. If the DB can make a play on a throw like that then he is a truly special DB, but when you throw it on the inside or to the numbers then it gives him a chance.

You don't want them to have a chance. That type of pass is for a completion and not particularly about Yards after catch, so the throw needs to be on the hands to the outside of the receivers body anywhere else is a mistake. If you throw it to the numbers, it is a mistake, if you throw it at his chest it is a mistake, if you throw it inside his numbers it is a mistake. It should be thrown and caught with his hands extended from his body towards the sideline.
    If he puts more air under it & doesn't make the sideline it's a definite pick 6 against Marshall because that guy had the play diagnosed. The only other place he could have put it was OB & then we're kicking a field goal instead of making a TD. He had to put it where he did against ASU because that was what the play called for. As far as I'm concerned neither of the plays against ASU went anywhere & risk vs reward wasn't worth it. They were just bad plays. In any case, you were right when you said it's one of the toughest plays any QB can make.

4. Default Re: Cajuns QB1

If he puts more air under it & doesn't make the sideline it's a definite pick 6 against Marshall because that guy had the play diagnosed. The only other place he could have put it was OB & then we're kicking a field goal instead of making a TD. He had to put it where he did against ASU because that was what the play called for. As far as I'm concerned neither of the plays against ASU went anywhere & risk vs reward wasn't worth it. They were just bad plays. In any case, you were right when you said it's one of the toughest plays any QB can make.
    Never said air under it, you are not understanding what I am saying, but that is fine. My point is, it is the one pass I have have the least confidence in him throwing. Again this is a pass that many QB's struggle with including some NFL arms. It is not about the amount of air or the type of pass, it is about where the pass hits the receiver. This is a timing pattern and it is a risky pass all of the time, it has to come out on time and be in a spot where only the receivers hands can touch the ball, no one else.

I remember a lot of people just wanting to get a win against that TERRIBLE defense. They weren't so TERRIBLE the week before against USM, were they?
    No. People wanted to get a win against the ex Florida st QB who was scoring 30 pts a game. He did not play. When he did not run out under center the game was over. Everyone knew that D was horrible and giving up 30 plus a game.

Never said air under it, you are not understanding what I am saying, but that is fine. My point is, it is the one pass I have have the least confidence in him throwing. Again this is a pass that many QB's struggle with including some NFL arms. It is not about the amount of air or the type of pass, it is about where the pass hits the receiver. This is a timing pattern and it is a risky pass all of the time, it has to come out on time and be in a spot where only the receivers hands can touch the ball, no one else.
    Let us agree to agree on this. It's damn sure the hardest pass for the least amount of reward & the most amount of risk of any there is to make. Even Jason David who got burnt like a forgotten turkey on Thanksgiving made a pick 6 off the great Payton Manning that night Indy beat our behinds in that Thursday night game in 08' on the same play.

7. Default Re: Cajuns QB1

Quote Originally Posted by John Cocktolstoy View Post
    No. People wanted to get a win against the ex Florida st QB who was scoring 30 pts a game. He did not play. When he did not run out under center the game was over. Everyone knew that D was horrible and giving up 30 plus a game.
    This!!!!!!

The fact of the matter was the only chance stAte had to beat us was to get in a shootout with us, meaning put up big time points, once Blackman did not come out to start the game they were done.

Their strength was their offense under the leadership of Blackman, without him they were not going to be able to win.

The funny thing is Blackman was dressed out and was taking snaps before the game in warmups. Not sure what the issue was, they did say that he was a game time decision but I expected him to play.

Our D was so much better than their D, their offense with Blackman would have been ahead of ours, without Blackman we had a better offense and defense and we already knew our special teams (return game specificially) was better. The only chance was for them to be able to move the ball and score against our D, A.J. Mayer was not going to be able to do that. I would have loved to see us play against Blackman.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cocktolstoy View Post
    What has that to do with Ben's performance? Other than he would have a chance to throw for 7 TDs instead of 5. Then I doubt anyone would remember who the other guy's name is.

9. Default Re: Cajuns QB1

Let us agree to agree on this. It's damn sure the hardest pass for the least amount of reward & the most amount of risk of any there is to make. Even Jason David who got burnt like a forgotten turkey on Thanksgiving made a pick 6 off the great Payton Manning that night Indy beat our behinds in that Thursday night game in 08' on the same play.
    I can agree on that, my issue is I just have not seen him throw it well and because of that it scares me every time I see that play called. Film studies are going to show it is a problem for us.

I can agree on that, my issue is I just have not seen him throw it well and because of that it scares me every time I see that play called. Film studies are going to show it is a problem for us.
    I'd rather not see those plays called, especially tomorrow night. I'd much rather take my chances with their pass rush as good as it is & let ben buy time to get the ball down the field, especially if we can run the ball anywhere close to what we did last week.

I used the disclaimer "personally" & "just a gut feeling I have." So far that gut feeling has panned out pretty damn well. Jesus, some of you people are so goddamned negative. It's a wonder this team this has a football program.
    There wasn’t a single negative comment in my post. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

You got a remember USM does not have an old fence and we will see them Thursday night. I feel our secondary might pick off at least three.

13. Default Re: Cajuns QB1

I’m watching USM TxSt replay. They have a good offense prone to self destruction. Their defense is absolutely stifling.

Of course it could just be TxSt.

Their defense is Legit . Really Legit . If Ben has a good game that I most likely believe

I remember a lot of people just wanting to get a win against that TERRIBLE defense. They weren't so TERRIBLE the week before against USM, were they?
    Dude give it up. Ben isn't NFL material.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information