Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros: World Series Champs

Default Re: Astros

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Everytime all these “Huge pete rose fans” come out of the wood work i cant help but think, when did these guys watch Rose play. Back then pretty much (if you werent in his home city) your options were the NBC saturday game of the week, TBS and WGN.
    So lets say the reds played cubs and braves about 20 times each and there are roughly 2 dozen saturdays during the season, so even if half of those showed the reds, thats a potential max of 50 games, barely a third.
    Saturday mornings on "This Week in Baseball!" Must watch for little Esqueleto.

ironically the nickname was derisive…. charlie as in, i dont know this guy’s name and hustle because he ran during a walk in spring training … i guess that happens with nicknames, look how popular walk off is now, but that was initially a bad thing, because it was first said from the pitcher’s perspective, the pitcher was walking off the field (presumably with head down)… the runner scoring the walk off isnt usually walking

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Ahhhhh, makes more sense now. I really do appreciate the insight. See it is possible for honest questions to receive honest answer.

Im especially intrigued by the media piece now. I was under the impression the media had brought him down. (and also under the impression many on here didnt like media telling them how to view players, esp homer media, but i digress, LeauxL)
    Pete Rose was not a gifted athlete. He made himself an elite baseball player by his hustle and never quit attitude.

I was really bummed when he bet on baseball games while still involved with the game.

The Reds were a very powerful team back then. I enjoyed watching them, even though I was (and still am) an Astros fan.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    My grandfather and I got on a greyhound bus from Eunice to see the astrodome the summer of 65. I was 10.
    Nice time to see that building for the first time. I was also 10 when I saw it in ‘69. Our baseball team rode a school bus from Erath and made a weekend of it. An amazing weekend for a 10 year old. I still remember being in awe when we walked to our seats.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Nice time to see that building for the first time. I was also 10 when I saw it in ‘69. Our baseball team rode a school bus from Erath and made a weekend of it. An amazing weekend for a 10 year old. I still remember being in awe when we walked to our seats.
    I remember taking a tour of the place a year or two after it opened. I went to a couple of Astros games with my Grandfather. I remember feeling cold in the place. The scoreboard would light up every time there was a home run,

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Thanks for jogging my memory. I had forgot about that show.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Pete Rose was not a gifted athlete. He made himself an elite baseball player by his hustle and never quit attitude.

I was really bummed when he bet on baseball games while still involved with the game.

The Reds were a very powerful team back then. I enjoyed watching them, even though I was (and still am) an Astros fan.
    good post….

im guessing the reds still win with or without rose though, but does rose became as famous and well liked on another team not in the spotlight at that time.

Astros bounce back bigly with a four pitcher no hitter. Baseball history.

11. Default Re: Astros

GEAUX Streauxs

Philly fans F-ed around with Mattress Mack and they FOUND OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Philly fans F-ed around with Mattress Mack and they FOUND OUT!
    Yes sir!

Verlander
    Frombar
    McCullers (though I'd throw Javier)

I like the Astros chances.

The way the Astros responded on the road last night was very impressive.

Just have to make sure Verlander brings his "A game" tonight and bring it back to Houston with full momentum.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information