Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Astros: World Series Champs

1. Default Re: Astros

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunchuck View Post
    I have been an Astros fan since 1972 when I was just a little kid. Saw my first Astros game in person at the Astrodome in 1973. Cesar Cedeno hit a home run and the scoreboard show began. Have been to many games since but that first one was special.

ASTROS ALL THE WAY!!!
    Similar for me. When playing little league we had a fund raiser and the kid that sold the most tickets for the fundraiser got 4 tickets to an Astros game. Will ever forget that game.

2. Default Re: Astros

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I am not a Dodgers fan and never have been.
    Reds fan gonna hate

Default Re: Astros

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Reds right?
    Correct.

Mattress Mac put down the largest personal bet ever in history that the Astros would win it all at the beginning of the playoffs. $10,000,000 bet pays $75,000,000 if they win!

5. Default Re: Astros

$65,000,000 should be able to put a few umps in his pocket and have plenty left . . .

Another fun fact. Every time the Phillies won a World Series American has suffered the greatest financial problems. (Housing bubble, dot com bubble, depression!). I’m pulling for the Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    $65,000,000 should be able to put a few umps in his pocket and have plenty left . . .
    True: Money talks and BS walks!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Same for me.
    My grandfather and I got on a greyhound bus from Eunice to see the astrodome the summer of 65. I was 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Harper ain't Pete Rose. Minus last year, he's been batting 0.270 for the last 5 years
    agree he aint, but im not so sure thats a bad thing…. many debate whether harper is a 5 tool or 4 tool player, ok, so your analysis drops him down to 3. Rose is barely a 2 tool player. hmmm… im not a fan of his but facts are facts… Harper was also a top prospect since his early teens, had to go to college at 16 because he was too young for draft and too good for HS, meanwhile pete rose started out in class D ball near his hometown… if his hometown doesnt have a team does he even make a team? if class D didnt exist would he have even made it at all?

“hey i played more positions than anybody therefore im awesome”- pete rose
    “we checked our notes and dont see any player who constantly had to keep switching positions because they werent the best player on their own team at their position”- signed hall of fame archives

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    agree he aint, but im not so sure thats a bad thing…. many debate whether harper is a 5 tool or 4 tool player, ok, so your analysis drops him down to 3. Rose is barely a 2 tool player. hmmm… im not a fan of his but facts are facts… Harper was also a top prospect since his early teens, had to go to college at 16 because he was too young for draft and too good for HS, meanwhile pete rose started out in class D ball near his hometown… if his hometown doesnt have a team does he even make a team? if class D didnt exist would he have even made it at all?

“hey i played more positions than anybody therefore im awesome”- pete rose
    “we checked our notes and dont see any player who constantly had to keep switching positions because they werent the best player on their own team at their position”- signed hall of fame archives
    Rose was a 17 time all star. He has hall of fame stats.

Also his uncle was a part time scout for the Reds and begged them to take him…. they had a shortage of players due to some trades and needed to fill out those extra levels of minor league rosters anyhow

Also his uncle was a part time scout for the Reds and begged them to take him…. they had a shortage of players due to some trades and needed to fill out those extra levels of minor league rosters anyhow
    Everytime all these “Huge pete rose fans” come out of the wood work i cant help but think, when did these guys watch Rose play. Back then pretty much (if you werent in his home city) your options were the NBC saturday game of the week, TBS and WGN.
    So lets say the reds played cubs and braves about 20 times each and there are roughly 2 dozen saturdays during the season, so even if half of those showed the reds, thats a potential max of 50 games, barely a third.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    werent reds fans known for stuffing the all star ballot boxes?

14. Default Re: Astros

Everytime all these “Huge pete rose fans” come out of the wood work i cant help but think, when did these guys watch Rose play. Back then pretty much (if you werent in his home city) your options were the NBC saturday game of the week, TBS and WGN.
    So lets say the reds played cubs and braves about 20 times each and there are roughly 2 dozen saturdays during the season, so even if half of those showed the reds, thats a potential max of 50 games, barely a third.
    Stats driven fandom. Charlie Hustle nickname. Media darling. Weekly headline grabber. Popular. Member of the Hit Parade.

He didn't need to be on TV, and yet he was as much as anyone from the era. News at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Stats driven fandom. Charlie Hustle nickname. Media darling. Weekly headline grabber. Popular. Member of the Hit Parade.

He didn't need to be on TV, and yet he was as much as anyone from the era. News at 11.
    Ahhhhh, makes more sense now. I really do appreciate the insight. See it is possible for honest questions to receive honest answer.

Im especially intrigued by the media piece now. I was under the impression the media had brought him down. (and also under the impression many on here didnt like media telling them how to view players, esp homer media, but i digress, LeauxL)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information