Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    Based on Student Homecoming attendance, this is the least of our problems. We need engaged students that become future fans and supporters of our university.
    Another issue. Our alumni don’t go for high earning jobs after graduating unless they majored in comp science or petroleum.

2. Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Quote Originally Posted by Gris-Gris View Post
    UCF
    U of Houston
    LSU
    North Texas
    Arkansas

Just to name a few
    Where are the numbers? I think the one you cite smack dab in the middle is wrong . . .

Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Don't kid yourself, Covid aside, Louisiana has always shown an attendance bump after a successful football season.

These incoming freshmen couldn't care less about football, but they are not immune to the advertising effects of hearing the school mentioned over and over (in a good light) their senior year of high school.
    I'm just telling you from a parent who's kid is in his freshman year at UL and with all the kids he associated with, UL is typically down the list of their top options. Most of the kids locally are obsessed with LSU and that's where they're looking to go. And if you were correct, we'd have a bustling student section at football games in a year where we saw a bump in attendance. Generally speaking, we often have fairly poor student attendance at most athletic events.

4. Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Maybe it’s a parent issue . . . maybe get a couple of pointers from KK

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Maybe it’s a parent issue . . .
    That plays a large role. As I've said before, this town is still very much a purple and gold town, even from many of our alumni. I don't know about you but I know so many people that graduated from UL but their time and money are spent at LSU on saturday nights and the kids are following suit.

6. Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

One of my kids graduated from Louisiana a couple years ago. I encouraged him to attend and support his school’s sporting events. He did. He could give a rats ass about the university across the pond.

It all served him right as he was able to land his dream job by searching university records for alumni in high positions in the field he wanted to work on. He finished in ME and is now in the Engineering and Design division of a great company soon to be run by the Louisiana alumni he made contact with and who hired him.

7. Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm just telling you from a parent who's kid is in his freshman year at UL and with all the kids he associated with, UL is typically down the list of their top options. Most of the kids locally are obsessed with LSU and that's where they're looking to go. And if you were correct, we'd have a bustling student section at football games in a year where we saw a bump in attendance. Generally speaking, we often have fairly poor student attendance at most athletic events.
    I track with everthing you said except your glossing over where I said "These incoming freshmen couldn't care less about football" nor do they need to care one iota.

Kids that are succepable to peer pressure are also susseptable to advertising.

No school benifits more from organic advertising than LSU so everthing you said makes sense.

It makes sense but ignoring that it makes sense for Louisiana to benifit from subliminal advertising is ludicrous.

Louisiana has always benifited academically from successful Athletics. It is their #1 student generator.

Athletics is why UL has been the #2 public academic institution in the state since 1939.

Just a FYI…App State.

https://admissions.appstate.edu/explore

I hope Martin Hall realizes that athletics is the marketing for the university. The recent football success is the biggest reason for the largest freshman class in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    I hope Martin Hall realizes that athletics is the marketing for the university. The recent football success is the biggest reason for the largest freshman class in 5 years.
    Then why don't they turn out for sporting events?

11. Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Then why don't they turn out for sporting events?
    Because that's not how advertising works. Once you get them enrolled, you start from scratch again because for Louisiana, enrolling was a frontal lobe decision.

Overall buzz from winning football creates a magnet to the school when they are looking for a school to attend.

They are looking for a school to attend for four+ years, they are not enrolling to attend a football game, EVEN THOUGH it was winning football buzz that put the school front and center in their frontal lobe.

The goal for the U should be to get Louisiana awareness locked into the new student body hippocampus, and that takes a whole new effort.

Because that's not how advertising works. Once you get them enrolled, you start from scratch again because for Louisiana, enrolling was a frontal lobe decision.

Overall buzz from winning football creates a magnet to the school when they are looking for a school to attend.

They are looking for a school to attend for four+ years, they are not enrolling to attend a football game, EVEN THOUGH it was winning football buzz that put the school front and center in their frontal lobe.

The goal for the U should be to get Louisiana awareness locked into the new student body hippocampus, and that takes a whole new effort.
    So football results gets them to attend a school but doesn’t get them to attend the football games. Makes sense…

13. Default Re: Louisiana's Incoming class of first-time freshmen largest in five years

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    So football results gets them to attend a school but doesn’t get them to attend the football games. Makes sense…
    That's not how it works.

You are trying desperately to debunk a direct correlation to a claim that has never been made.

Winning football creates background noise and vibes about the school at large that leaves a positive impression on non football fans. Even when they are unaware of the source.

That's not how it works.

You are trying desperately to debunk a direct correlation to a claim that has never been made.

Winning football creates background noise and vibes about the school at large that leaves a positive impression on non football fans. Even when they are unaware of the source.

Freshman Guide Book from a few years ago at App.From the Rock.Going to games is not an afterthought.App Daughter 2nd row with cap on mid pic.her first game as a student
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Freshman Guide Book from a few years ago at App.From the Rock.Going to games is not an afterthought.App Daughter 2nd row with cap on mid pic.her first game as a student
    That's cool. Going to games at App State is a great experience. Hope one day we can say the same about games at UL.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information