Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Opinion on football team

Default Opinion on football team

Like everyone else, I have an opinion on the football team. I am as frustrated by this start as most people, and will lose a good amount of $$$ on my over 8.5 wins at -160 bet from the preseason.

Let's start with the obvious, this team isn't very good on offense, but is very good on defense. That alone will keep us in most of the games for the rest of the season. Doesn't mean we win them, but we should be competitive. We held a very potent USA offense to 20 points, in today's college game, only giving up 20 points should win the majority of the games.

1. Why aren't we good on offense? I think there are many reasons for this, but for me, lack of experience and leadership is at the top of the list. New play caller, new QB, mostly new OL, one proven RB and a receiving corp that is too talented and deep to perform like they are currently. The only position group that is meeting preseason expectations is the TE position.

2. This defense is really good, especially when they don't have to be on the field too long. We have great leadership with Hill, Garror, Trahan, Quebedeaux, etc, and very young studs like Ossai, Flowers, Anderson, Lawson, Skipper, Whitfield, etc. There is a lot to like here.

3. This team is as close to being 4-1, as last year's team was to being 11-3. This year's team could've easily beat ULM and USA and last year's team could've easily lost to USA and Georgia State. I was EXTREMELY frustrated at being 4-1 last season and not looking good at all. What is the difference? Last year's team knew how to close out games and this team hasn't learned that yet. The other big difference I see is penalties. There seems to be many more penalties, which points back to the lack of experience, IMO.

4. I do see reason for optimism, but it is still going to be a bumpy ride for the rest of the season. On the field, the OL definitely played their best game against USA, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Very simply, if the OL improves, our QB, RB and play calling will all get better. Off the field, I will definitely be looking to take advantage of the Cajuns getting + points on the betting sites, like I did against USA. The defense it too good for Cajuns to be laying big numbers.

5. Coach Des is a super smart individual and I expect him to get better. I think he is extremely loyal, but I don't believe he is stubborn. He wants to WIN and I believe he will grow as a coach and a play caller during the season. He will do so by learning from his mistakes and correcting them. With that being said, he is the head coach and the play caller, so the record and the stats he owns 100%.

As a gambler, I underestimated how inexperienced this team was, especially on offense (and that includes coaching), and as such, should not have bet so much with my heart.

As a fan, this is painful to watch, but I don't believe the cULture is gone, it is just being tested right now. Some will fail the test and that is OK, because the ones that do pass will help it thrive in the future.

Default Re: Opinion on football team

I simply can not figure out what happened to our swag. Completely gone.

Let's Geaux, damn!

3. Default Re: Opinion on football team

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    I simply can not figure out what happened to our swag. Completely gone.

Let's Geaux, damn!
    ….lI saw the Florida game (some of it)….guess they stole our celebration dances and band Leader moves after a great play like a TD or pick off!

A good assessment. The off season that this program had was unprecedented and then factor in the NIL stuff and it's not hard to see why we are where we are. At this point everyone is disgusted to have climbed the top of the G5 hill and then suddenly find ourselves back on the seemingly bottom.

Unfortunately all we can do is have trust and patience and see where this thing goes. All of us would have took this position 5 years ago if we were promised consecutive ranked seasons, not too mention now being in a super competitive and exciting up and coming Sun Belt Conference. We now know the ingredients for success, we just have to find the right mix and put it all back together. We know it can be done here! This was never going to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    A good assessment. The off season that this program had was unprecedented and then factor in the NIL stuff and it's not hard to see why we are where we are. At this point everyone is disgusted to have climbed the top of the G5 hill and then suddenly find ourselves back on the seemingly bottom.

Unfortunately all we can do is have trust and patience and see where this thing goes. All of us would have took this position 5 years ago if we were promised consecutive ranked seasons, not too mention now being in a super competitive and exciting up and coming Sun Belt Conference. We now know the ingredients for success, we just have to find the right mix and put it all back together. We know it can be done here! This was never going to be easy.
    I must be missing something because we are not losing to P5 team or even elite G5 squads. We have lost to 3 teams with a combined 2 bowl wins in the last 12 years

6. Default Re: Opinion on football team

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I must be missing something because we are not losing to P5 team or even elite squads. We have lost to 3 teams with a combined 2 bowl wins in the last 12 years
    When you pick your stats you pick them well .

When I watch this team it seems like all 11 on the field are waiting for someone else to make the big play instead of going out there and making it themselves.

Everyone is waiting for someone else to step up while the opportunities within the game just pass them by.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Like everyone else, I have an opinion on the football team. I am as frustrated by this start as most people, and will lose a good amount of $$$ on my over 8.5 wins at -160 bet from the preseason.

Let's start with the obvious, this team isn't very good on offense, but is very good on defense. That alone will keep us in most of the games for the rest of the season. Doesn't mean we win them, but we should be competitive. We held a very potent USA offense to 20 points, in today's college game, only giving up 20 points should win the majority of the games.

1. Why aren't we good on offense? I think there are many reasons for this, but for me, lack of experience and leadership is at the top of the list. New play caller, new QB, mostly new OL, one proven RB and a receiving corp that is too talented and deep to perform like they are currently. The only position group that is meeting preseason expectations is the TE position.

2. This defense is really good, especially when they don't have to be on the field too long. We have great leadership with Hill, Garror, Trahan, Quebedeaux, etc, and very young studs like Ossai, Flowers, Anderson, Lawson, Skipper, Whitfield, etc. There is a lot to like here.

3. This team is as close to being 4-1, as last year's team was to being 11-3. This year's team could've easily beat ULM and USA and last year's team could've easily lost to USA and Georgia State. I was EXTREMELY frustrated at being 4-1 last season and not looking good at all. What is the difference? Last year's team knew how to close out games and this team hasn't learned that yet. The other big difference I see is penalties. There seems to be many more penalties, which points back to the lack of experience, IMO.

4. I do see reason for optimism, but it is still going to be a bumpy ride for the rest of the season. On the field, the OL definitely played their best game against USA, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Very simply, if the OL improves, our QB, RB and play calling will all get better. Off the field, I will definitely be looking to take advantage of the Cajuns getting + points on the betting sites, like I did against USA. The defense it too good for Cajuns to be laying big numbers.

5. Coach Des is a super smart individual and I expect him to get better. I think he is extremely loyal, but I don't believe he is stubborn. He wants to WIN and I believe he will grow as a coach and a play caller during the season. He will do so by learning from his mistakes and correcting them. With that being said, he is the head coach and the play caller, so the record and the stats he owns 100%.

As a gambler, I underestimated how inexperienced this team was, especially on offense (and that includes coaching), and as such, should not have bet so much with my heart.

As a fan, this is painful to watch, but I don't believe the cULture is gone, it is just being tested right now. Some will fail the test and that is OK, because the ones that do pass will help it thrive in the future.
    Probably the most rational post I've read in number of days.

In my opinion, most of the problems come down to one issue. That is the struggles of the OL. If they play at a higher level, we can start to move the ball on the ground. That keeps us out of long yardage situations, the offense will stay on the field longer, and the defense can rest. Fixing that problem is the key to returning to success. That is not to say the special team problems and dropped passes are not concerns. I bet if you fix the OL, a lot of these other problems are less severe. I was encouraged by the way the team ran the ball in the fourth quarter on Saturday. I have no clue if that will be seen more consistently going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ….lI saw the Florida game (some of it)….guess they stole our celebration dances and band Leader moves after a great play like a TD or pick off!
    They didn't steal them. We gave them away. It's not like Napier had an iron clad patent on the way the guys celebrate. Just another change to the traditions that make up culture that no one admits changes the culture when they aren't there any more.

Excellent assessment- Last years team won many close games. their record could have been average -Plenty of time in this season to turn it around.
    Go Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Napier took the whole damn cULture with him

Wasn't he the guy who brought it in and instilled it?

If Napier took the touchdown baton or turn over shoulder pads with him, this is when the coaches create a new celebration cULture. You have all off season!

Somewhat related, the NIL/portal tail wagging the dog at SMU…

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo.l-per-reports/

In other words, they quit on their current teammates.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information