Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Coach Des In Unique Position

Louisiana Coach Des In Unique Position

It occurred to me that Coach Des is attempting to do something never done before. Try to follow the most recent coaching timeline. Coach Baldwin never won more than 3 games over 3 seasons. Coach Bustle worked hard and got back to respectable and would have got us to a much needed bowl game except for weird tiebreaker rules in conference. Coach Hud came in and broke the bowl drought and won a string of them. Coach Napier lost the first bowl and built the program up to win 3 bowls and get nationally ranked in top 20. All that success landed him at a richer and larger university as head football coach. That had never happened before and now Coach Des is the first to follow a coach who was so good he moved up the coaching ranks. Des is also dealing with the loss of some of the strongest pieces of the program including co-ordinators, position coaches, players including potential All-Americans, regular seniors, covid seniors, RS seniors, portal losers, and staff. We all were aware of but underestimated this impact. A wise man, let's call him Jay, once said when you lose a co-ordinator(Stewart) , you take 2 steps back before you go forward. Losing 2 co-ordinators and a head coach has got to hit you hard.
    I know Coach Des would never bring this up as excuses and I respect him for that. Based on his resume as a coach and player, he deserves time to put his plan in place and I think he will be successful. We might have another tough loss or two, But as fans lets give the man a reasonable amount of time before we expect to be playing on New Years Day.
    GEAUX CAJUNS!!!

2. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Pride, good points. Des needs to be given the same opportunity that Billy was given to succeed here. And I'd argue, he deserves even more of our support, just based on what he's given to this place throughout his life.

But I'll make a counterpoint to you post: Napier lost assistants, support staff, coordinators, etc every year he was at Louisiana. Not only did we not take a step back, we improved overall, year over year. When you hire the right people, and let them do their jobs, success will eventually come. I'll be interested to follow the trends.

Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    It occurred to me that Coach Des is attempting to do something never done before. Try to follow the most recent coaching timeline. Coach Baldwin never won more than 3 games over 3 seasons. Coach Bustle worked hard and got back to respectable and would have got us to a much needed bowl game except for weird tiebreaker rules in conference. Coach Hud came in and broke the bowl drought and won a string of them. Coach Napier lost the first bowl and built the program up to win 3 bowls and get nationally ranked in top 20. All that success landed him at a richer and larger university as head football coach. That had never happened before and now Coach Des is the first to follow a coach who was so good he moved up the coaching ranks. Des is also dealing with the loss of some of the strongest pieces of the program including co-ordinators, position coaches, players including potential All-Americans, regular seniors, covid seniors, RS seniors, portal losers, and staff. We all were aware of but underestimated this impact. A wise man, let's call him Jay, once said when you lose a co-ordinator(Stewart) , you take 2 steps back before you go forward. Losing 2 co-ordinators and a head coach has got to hit you hard.
    I know Coach Des would never bring this up as excuses and I respect him for that. Based on his resume as a coach and player, he deserves time to put his plan in place and I think he will be successful. We might have another tough loss or two, But as fans lets give the man a reasonable amount of time before we expect to be playing on New Years Day.
    GEAUX CAJUNS!!!
    He has the easiest transition of the last 3 coaches and had first-hand knowledge of the deficiencies on this team. He did nothing to address them in the offseason. Someone told me that Dez is worried about using the transfer portal because it will send a bad message to the players in the locker room. Lowering your expectations after winning 13 games to hopefully making a bowl is the most USL thing ever.

But as fans lets give the man a reasonable amount of time before we expect to be playing on New Years Day.
    GEAUX CAJUNS!!!
    I wish people would stop with this crap. People aren't upset that we aren't playing for a NY6 bowl. They are upset that we are going to have to scratch and claw to even be bowl eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I wish people would stop with this crap. People aren't upset that we aren't playing for a NY6 bowl. They are upset that we are going to have to scratch and claw to even be bowl eligible.
    Dude- CBN might be the best coach we ever had and his first season we won 50% of our games and the west division was very weak that year. He inherited Levi and used him most of the time, but he weakened the qb position by not allowing anyone else to get some meaningful experience. You look at the history of almost every good or great college football team and the big win streaks are due to the magnificent play of the QB. Look at our years with Brian, Jake, Blaine, and Levi, etc Coach Des will get the right QB with the skills and leadership, if he is not already on the team. I expect his team to play in NY6 bowl, but not this year, because of the reality of the situation. IMO!! GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!

Dude- CBN might be the best coach we ever had and his first season we won 50% of our games and the west division was very weak that year. He inherited Levi and used him most of the time, but he weakened the qb position by not allowing anyone else to get some meaningful experience. You look at the history of almost every good or great college football team and the big win streaks are due to the magnificent play of the QB. Look at our years with Brian, Jake, Blaine, and Levi, etc Coach Des will get the right QB with the skills and leadership, if he is not already on the team. I expect his team to play in NY6 bowl, but not this year, because of the reality of the situation. IMO!! GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!
    Not arguing with anything you say here. Problem is too many people are being overdramatic with their rebuttal to criticism. NO ONE with half a brain expected this team to not take a step backwards. That's the ebb and flow of college football. What we did expect is not to drop so far as to no longer seeing a solid W on the rest of the schedule.

You were fine until you got to the part about a NY6 bowl. Not gonna happen. If we didn't sniff it last season, this team will never sniff it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    You were fine until you got to the part about a NY6 bowl. Not gonna happen. If we didn't sniff it last season, this team will never sniff it.
    Very few 1 loss G5's will be considered. Beat Texas last year and we are in the discussion. If not, the schedule this year was set up to make a run. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    He has the easiest transition of the last 3 coaches and had first-hand knowledge of the deficiencies on this team. He did nothing to address them in the offseason. Someone told me that Dez is worried about using the transfer portal because it will send a bad message to the players in the locker room. Lowering your expectations after winning 13 games to hopefully making a bowl is the most USL thing ever.
    Mic Drop!

CBN's 2021 team won the following games:

Nicholls by 3
    Georgia Southern by 8
    USA by 2
    Ark State by 1
    Georgia State by 4
    ULM by 5

Winning close games is what Billy's teams did in 2021. It's not like Billy's teams were blowing every one out.he played some squeakers against bad teams. Let's see if Mike can get this thing turned around.

11. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

MiKe hasn't used up any of his luck, yet. We may need to luck into a couple W's like Napier did . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLA View Post
    CBN's 2021 team won the following games:

Nicholls by 3
    Georgia Southern by 8
    USA by 2
    Ark State by 1
    Georgia State by 4
    ULM by 5

Winning close games is what Billy's teams did in 2021. It's not like Billy's teams were blowing every one out.he played some squeakers against bad teams. Let's see if Mike can get this thing turned around.
    Good context.

At the end of the day, it's not how you got there, it is what the scoreboard says. That determines the future, not any opinion on RP, FB or any social media. Winning fixes everything.

Fans will have varying degrees of patience. It's human nature, uniquely designed. It would be very booring if we all thought and acted exactly the same.

14. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Except winning did not fix everything.

15. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Except winning did not fix everything.
    Yes it did.

Everthing was fixed.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information