Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coach Des In Unique Position

1. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Bc most of these guys haven’t had to do it. They have been backups or substitutes but when it really mattered, they weren’t on the field, Especially on offense. When it mattered you had the 5 guys up front with almost 200 starts under their belt. You had a qb with over 40 starts, you had Percy butler playing special teams who is on a 53 man roster right now. You had a team full of guys who not only had been through the battles but had been through them together. Give the damn team a chance to figure it out. Our O-line of the last 3-4 years probably didn’t even need to talk to each other to know where they were going.
    Bullseye.

2. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    No we aren’t, we are a handful of plays from 5-0. We just didn’t have the expectations then like we do now but Billy was going through the same lessons in 2018 that Mike is going through now. Also, Rice beat UAB Saturday and should have beat houston the week before. USA is 4-1 and should be 5-0 with a win over UCLA (who is 5-0) if their coach didn’t brain fart. We hadn’t lost in Monroe in 18 years and USA has never beat us at home. Sometimes the odds are just gonna go against you. We have a bunch of guys that are thinking out there right now and anybody who has played sports knows it’s hard to win if you are thinking instead of reacting and that also leads to penalties and bond head ___ bc they are unsure of themselves. I’m not happy with where we are record wise but we are showing improvement each week. Hopefully this extra time gives the team a few more days on the fundamentals and ironing some things out. We can beat everyone left on our schedule in conference, not the way we have played already but nobody says we have to. We are allowed to keep getting better.
    Bullseye 2.0.

3. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    My data proved we are a bad team, nice try though.
    Bad teams aren't in every game they play. This team is 3-4 plays away from being 4-1. 5-6 from being 5-0. The offensive line issues have changed everything on offense. No identity because this offense is built to open up the pass off the run. When you can't establish a run game, you can't throw the football. Also, TWO knew QBs, dealing with injury and trying to find a rhythm. (I prefer to pick one QB and roll with him, but you can see why Des has given each some playing time. Both have upside, but both are inconsistent) The defense has been as advertised and I'd argue has only improved game by game. Special teams have taken a step back but when is the last time we had a reliable place kicker? Rhys is avg 6 yards less per punt on average. The turnovers have nothing to do with coaching. Execution issues a new long snapper is something you can't plan for.

We are inexperienced at key positions. That does not equate to a bad football team.

4. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

I finally agreed last night because I got tired of seeing a naked dude on a toilet.

Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

This is not a bad team, they just lack confidence and haven't learned how to win, yet. What disappoints me the most is the lack of emotion on the sideline both players and staff.

6. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    This is not a bad team, they just lack confidence and haven't learned how to win, yet. What disappoints me the most is the lack of emotion on the sideline both players and staff.
    If I'm being honest, I think they're absorbing it all at once. Maybe even a little shell shocked. We've done a lot of winning for 4 years around here. I think it might be overwhelming. They just need to take a deep breath, put the blinders on, and plow the field.

If we go to OT and beat South Alabama we are looking at this team in a completely different light and discussing our West Division Championship aspirations. We have a lot of work to do but if we keep improving we will be fine. At this point getting to a bowl game and better than .500 record would be acceptable and get us back on the path to where we need to be. That should basically be our floor in trying to maintain the winning tradition that has been established here.

Off years and bad losses will happen, it's how you rebound that determines what kind of program you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    They just need to take a deep breath, put the blinders on, and plow the field.
    Those were the words I lived by in my younger days.

9. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

The Motto #YOLO

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    If I'm being honest, I think they're absorbing it all at once. Maybe even a little shell shocked. We've done a lot of winning for 4 years around here. I think it might be overwhelming. They just need to take a deep breath, put the blinders on, and plow the field.
    This right here! Got to keep grinding.

This was part of the culture. It was organic as a home grown garden, but it was treated like a weed bed somewhere along the way. And that difference is making a huge difference between winning & losing & very very few people are even acknowledging that it even has an impact. No one from our local media has bothered to even ask about it.

We sit 3 rows behind the defense bench.there was plenty of emotion in the last games 4th Q. Meatball Hazzard was really fired up.

Too many "if's" in this thread. The offense, and special teams are not good (one nice punt return). Period. The defense has some good parts (turnovers) but other areas need improvement (pass rush). That is the results, so far, with 5 games under our belt. We are not close to being a good team. Can we improve? It's possible, but until it happens, then it's all speculation what might be if.

14. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Too many "if's" in this thread. The offense, and special teams are not good (one nice punt return). Period. The defense has some good parts (turnovers) but other areas need improvement (pass rush). That is the results, so far, with 5 games under our belt. We are not close to being a good team. Can we improve? It's possible, but until it happens, then it's all speculation what might be if.
    Pass rush? Did you watch the South Alabama game? These dudes are on the field 60% of the game every Saturday. The offense is in flux and in desperate need of a leader on the OLine. Special teams, we can agree, has been a huge disappointment to this point.

15. Default Re: Coach Des In Unique Position

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Without an "if", where does one start to address the issues?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information