Thread: G5 battle for NY6

Default G5 battle for NY6

Couldn’t find the other thread we were discussing this.
    Coastal and JMU are the only undefeated G5’s left. JMU is not eligible for a bowl.

I’m thinking there’s a pretty good chance there won’t be a G5 representative this year. None will be ranked high enough.

2. Default Re: G5 battle for NY6

Louisiana is out of contention, so it isn’t too important for me. I do want a G5 to represent but that’s just a general acknowledgment.

Default Re: G5 battle for NY6

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Couldn’t find the other thread we were discussing this.
    Coastal and JMU are the only undefeated G5’s left. JMU is not eligible for a bowl.

I’m thinking there’s a pretty good chance there won’t be a G5 representative this year. None will be ranked high enough.
    Pretty sure it’s not about being ranked high enough. The highest ranked g5 champ gets the auto bid. Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I think at least one g5 champ is guaranteed and that will probably be Cincinnati again.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Louisiana is out of contention, so it isn’t too important for me. I do want a G5 to represent but that’s just a general acknowledgment.
    doesn't the conference share the revenue from that major bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Pretty sure it’s not about being ranked high enough. The highest ranked g5 champ gets the auto bid. Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I think at least one g5 champ is guaranteed and that will probably be Cincinnati again.
    I believe it’s the highest ranked G5 champ but there’s a minimum ranking they need to be. It’s either 12 or 16. So if Cincinnati is outside the 12 or 16 then the bowl can take a P5 at large.

In the new 12 team playoff format the highest g5 champ makes the playoffs. Rankings don’t matter.

7. Default Re: G5 battle for NY6

In the new 12 team playoff format the highest g5 champ makes the playoffs. Rankings don’t matter.
    What matrix do you look at to determine "the highest g5 champ"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    What matrix do you look at to determine "the highest g5 champ"
    CFP rankings

9. Default Re: G5 battle for NY6

CFP rankings
    So "rankings do matter"

For clarification, does the g5 need to be ranked (in the top 25 in CFP rankings) to qualify or is it the g5 that has the highest ranking number under that matrix (like no 29)?

Yes. But even with the 130th sos, if the Cajuns would have gone undefeated this year they would have gotten the spot as the only undefeated. And even with that schedule would have ended up ranked high enough. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So "rankings do matter"

For clarification, does the g5 need to be ranked (in the top 25 in CFP rankings) to qualify or is it the g5 that has the highest ranking number under that matrix (like no 29)?
    The current system I believe the ny6 spot is for the highest ranked g5 champ but must be ranked in the top 12 or 16. I don’t remember which one.

In the future 12 team playoff the highest ranked g5 champ gets the spot regardless of ranking position.

The current system I believe the ny6 spot is for the highest ranked g5 champ but must be ranked in the top 12 or 16. I don’t remember which one.

In the future 12 team playoff the highest ranked g5 champ gets the spot regardless of ranking position.
    There is no requirement to be ranked inside the top 12 or 16 to qualify.

"When not hosting Playoff Semifinals, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach bowls will welcome the highest-ranked teams, any displaced conference champions, and the top-ranked champion from a non-contract conference. The highest-ranked available teams will fill any other berths. The selection committee will make the pairings."

The shame is if the Cajuns had played last year’s Florida state team with Cincinnati in the playoffs it may have been enough to get an at large bid to a new year’s 6 bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by wscoog View Post
    The shame is if the Cajuns had played last year’s Florida state team with Cincinnati in the playoffs it may have been enough to get an at large bid to a new year’s 6 bowl.
    Even with Cincy in the playoffs, we weren't getting a NY6 invite. They weren't required to take us.

Thread Information