Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best College Towns Ranking

Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Without touching the merits, the forced 2am bar closings changed the culture, the strip died, and the rest is history.
    Downtown letting in people under 21 killed the strip not closing at 2am.

Without touching the merits, the forced 2am bar closings changed the culture, the strip died, and the rest is history.
    Me leaving town in 1982 killed the strip...

3. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Downtown letting in people under 21 killed the strip not closing at 2am.
    I was giving you a time line of events not just a why. You may be right about the move to Jefferson Street, but the strip died before Jefferson Street took off.

Take a close look at New Orleans student enrollment at Louisiana before and after the 2am edict and tell me it had no bearing on perception.

I was giving you a time line of events not just a why. You may be right about the move to Jefferson Street, but the strip died before Jefferson Street took off.

Take a close look at New Orleans student enrollment at Louisiana before and after the 2am edict and tell me it had no bearing on perception.
    I Worked on the strip and downtown during all of it, I know what happened. Downtown took off well before the strip died but everywhere was 21 and over. Bars started letting in under 21, ran out the older crowd that was going downtown, killed the strip and Jefferson became the new strip. The strip has/had been closing at 2 for a long time and was still the place to be.

5. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

I Worked on the strip and downtown during all of it, I know what happened. Downtown took off well before the strip died but everywhere was 21 and over. Bars started letting in under 21, ran out the older crowd that was going downtown, killed the strip and Jefferson became the new strip. The strip has/had been closing at 2 for a long time and was still the place to be.
    Your definition of died and mine are different.

Jefferson Street still hasn't reached the outdoor crowd size The Strip had at its peak.

The Strip died before Jefferson Street took off.

Jefferson Street still hasn't reached the outdoor crowd size The Strip had at its peak.

Drive down Jefferson on Saturday night at midnight, trust me it’s way more than the strip. The strip was 200 yards long.

7. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Drive down Jefferson on Saturday night at midnight, trust me it’s way more than the strip. The strip was 200 yards long.
    To spread out to capture the imagination of a party town poll.

The condensation of the Strip lead to the national ranking persona.

Well before I left the keg, nitecaps, Shanahans, the caboose, the pub and the Cajun were all packed on Wednesday and Friday nights…and the strip had long been closing at 2…like for 20 years at least.

9. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Me leaving town in 1982 killed the strip...
    Me 2

10. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Well before I left the keg, nitecaps, Shanahans, the caboose, the pub and the Cajun were all packed on Wednesday and Friday nights…and the strip had long been closing at 2…like for 20 years at least.
    We might be talking about different time frames. I'm refering to a period when Jefferson Street had almost nothing.

The topic was party town.

When the strip closed (whatever time it was) there were dozens of places to continue the party. Then the Parish wide 2am closing and then adjacent Parish 2am and UL enrollment dropped, stagnated and plateaued for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    They have San Marcos number 7. What did I miss? The only thing I could see San Marcos being known for is rounding up illegals & sticking them in freight truck in the nice cool texas air & leaving them there for a weekend in August.
    So what you're telling me is you've never been to San Marcos and know absolutely nothing about the town or university campus.

“Rankings” are a great way to get clicks/impressions/etc. if you have a good ranking you’ll talk about it. If you have a bad ranking you’ll _____ about it. This is how a nothing account like big game boomer gets so much traction when in reality it is ranking based on absolutely nothing except, apparently, some boomer. Can’t stand it. I had to ignore the page because I always see that crap “___ replied to…”

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    So what you're telling me is you've never been to San Marcos and know absolutely nothing about the town or university campus.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    No, I just felt like blabbing about something I know absolutely nothing about. Yes, I've been to San Marcos & it's a crappy little town of about 50,000 people squeezed in between Austin which is one of the party capitals of the world & San Antonio which is another place to go for a huge amount of stuff to do. But hey, if you like tubing with an ice chest of beer, or floating the river, it's a cool little place. I wouldn't classify it a college party capital. Now please school me up.

We might be talking about different time frames. I'm refering to a period when Jefferson Street had almost nothing.

The topic was party town.

When the strip closed (whatever time it was) there were dozens of places to continue the party. Then the Parish wide 2am closing and then adjacent Parish 2am and UL enrollment dropped, stagnated and plateaued for several years.
    He doesn't remember when Lafayette used to shut down at 6:45 in the morning so it could open back up at 7:00 AM. Of course that was only 6 days a week. Everyone would go to church on Sundays with a hangover to repent of their evil deeds they had committed all week long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information