Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Third Place

1. Louisiana Campus Third Place

A "Third place" is a place where people hang-out that isn't work or isn't home.

Third Place Explained

Bars, clubs, barber shops, cafes, churches, parks, parlors, etc... Anchors of communities.

For decades, we as a society, have slowly stopped frequenting these places of fellowship and relationship building. Instead, large companies have presented malls and plazas as "the new town square" and it has splintered our communities. Technology hasn't helped this trend, especially with the younger generations. Consumer-centric businesses can't replace human desire to interact with like-minded strangers over a shared interest. This is why people have tried to replicate communal gatherings through on-line communication like social media, gaming and forums.

If I'm involved with UL development or promotions, my NUMBER ONE mission is transforming the athletic complex into the best Third Place option in a 10 mile radius of Reinhardt Dr.

Default Re: Third Place

I'll testify that you're already doing that. That is why two hard asses with equally hard heads like us who probably couldn't stand each other a few months ago, are getting along pretty well these days.

Would be nice to have a "Cajun Village" surrounding Cajun Field.

Shops, resturants, green space, all within the shadows of Cajun Field and the Cajun Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A "Third place" is a place where people hang-out that isn't work or isn't home.

Third Place Explained

Bars, clubs, barber shops, cafes, churches, parks, parlors, etc... Anchors of communities.

For decades, we as a society, have slowly stopped frequenting these places of fellowship and relationship building. Instead, large companies have presented malls and plazas as "the new town square" and it has splintered our communities. Technology hasn't helped this trend, especially with the younger generations. Consumer-centric businesses can't replace human desire to interact with like-minded strangers over a shared interest. This is why people have tried to replicate communal gatherings through on-line communication like social media, gaming and forums.

If I'm involved with UL development or promotions, my NUMBER ONE mission is transforming the athletic complex into the best Third Place option in a 10 mile radius of Reinhardt Dr.
    Architect Stephen Oubre a few years ago presented a Master Plan for redevelopment of the athletic complex to make it a year round entertainment destination and, I believe, to join the main campus to the athletic website. Whatever happened to that Master Plan and why was it not developed? Can this be resurrected?

5. Default Re: Third Place

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    Would be nice to have a "Cajun Village" surrounding Cajun Field.

Shops, resturants, green space, all within the shadows of Cajun Field and the Cajun Dome.
    Not sure how close to reality this was, but it was for sure being discussed with some developers from LA around the time Napier was hired. Of course, it went no where. I'll leave it up to you guys to guess why...

We need, at a minimum, bars and restaurants, inside and outside of the new stadium, that are open for regular business hours, 52 weeks a year. We need a common area, shared tailgating area, and official school store with official school gear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Architect Stephen Oubre a few years ago presented a Master Plan for redevelopment of the athletic complex to make it a year round entertainment destination and, I believe, to join the main campus to the athletic website. Whatever happened to that Master Plan and why was it not developed? Can this be resurrected?
    Sounds like we need to get Mr. Stephen Oubre on the podcast for some Q&A!

Not sure how close to reality this was, but it was for sure being discussed with some developers from LA around the time Napier was hired. Of course, it went no where. I'll leave it up to you guys to guess why...

We need, at a minimum, bars and restaurants, inside and outside of the new stadium, that are open for regular business hours, 52 weeks a year. We need a common area, shared tailgating area, and official school store with official school gear as well.
    My company has a building on the research park and we were selling the master plan to our candidates for a while. It faded out of our pitch after it went dark...

Legends’ 45th Lafayette location at OLOL Stadium

9. Default Re: Third Place

If you have some time, send me whatever you have/remember/can find about this. I do remember what you're talking about though.

10. Default Re: Third Place

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    My company has a building on the research park and we were selling the master plan to our candidates for a while. It faded out of our pitch after it went dark...
    Any idea what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Why did it go dark?

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Why did it go dark?
    No idea. I changed roles and never heard it mentioned again.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Why did it go dark?
    if i was the type to gamble i would bet it is because the stiffs in martin hall didnt want people with business acumen telling them what to do with their assets. i would wager the stiffs in martin hall want to maintain total control of every blade of grass that university owns. in all my years i have never come across people that do less with more than these dinosaurs

In the other's personal file of Dr. Savoie, the trash bin.

15. Default Re: Third Place

Having a concrete master plan like Mr. Oubre's sure would be nice right about now.

The additional funding to the monkey farm (which prints money for this university), the R1 status making its way around the country, the recent success of Football & Baseball, the influx of Fed dollars, the influx of state dollars secured by our local delegation recently, the influx of covid recovery funds, the investment into infrastructure, housing and state highways...

Wouldn't it be incredible if we could, I don't know, have a document that prepared athletics for this precise moment in history... Wonder where we could find such a document...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information