Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Third Place

Default Re: Third Place

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    A "Third place" is a place where people hang-out that isn't work or isn't home.

Third Place Explained

Bars, clubs, barber shops, cafes, churches, parks, parlors, etc... Anchors of communities.

For decades, we as a society, have slowly stopped frequenting these places of fellowship and relationship building. Instead, large companies have presented malls and plazas as "the new town square" and it has splintered our communities. Technology hasn't helped this trend, especially with the younger generations. Consumer-centric businesses can't replace human desire to interact with like-minded strangers over a shared interest. This is why people have tried to replicate communal gatherings through on-line communication like social media, gaming and forums.

If I'm involved with UL development or promotions, my NUMBER ONE mission is transforming the athletic complex into the best Third Place option in a 10 mile radius of Reinhardt Dr.
    I just finished re-reading the open thread on "2020 UL Development". Looks like all of this was available to UL back then, but was killed by Dr. S.

Throw in an “Old Tyne Grocery”. I will frequent.

Allow me to be Debbie downer. The flip side to Truist Park is the Boardwalk in Bossier City.

When it opened ~15 years ago it was this really awesome and popular outdoor riverfront mall with nice retail and restaurants. But if you go there today it has that eerie dead mall feeling. It’s empty, most of the restaurants have closed, and most of the buildings are vacant. It’s not the type of development we’d want in Cajun Field today.

I’d love to see us develop the area around Cajun Field in some way, shape or form. But we’ve gotta be really smart about it.

The economy of Lafayette is much closer to Shreveport/Bossier than Atlanta. Also, with Truist Park, there are tons of baseball games and concerts that draw in tens of thousands of people for >100 days/yr. There are also large hotels and offices in the area that ensure lots of people will be nearby looking for places to eat/relax/shop. On the other hand, between Cajun Field and the Cajundome you’ve got maybe 15 days max where >10,000 people are in the area. That’s probably not enough to support a large scale development.

4. Default Re: Third Place

I guess you think the diamond sports don’t count?

5. Default Re: Third Place

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Allow me to be Debbie downer. The flip side to Truist Park is the Boardwalk in Bossier City.

When it opened ~15 years ago it was this really awesome and popular outdoor riverfront mall with nice retail and restaurants. But if you go there today it has that eerie dead mall feeling. It’s empty, most of the restaurants have closed, and most of the buildings are vacant. It’s not the type of development we’d want in Cajun Field today.

I’d love to see us develop the area around Cajun Field in some way, shape or form. But we’ve gotta be really smart about it.

The economy of Lafayette is much closer to Shreveport/Bossier than Atlanta. Also, with Truist Park, there are tons of baseball games and concerts that draw in tens of thousands of people for >100 days/yr. There are also large hotels and offices in the area that ensure lots of people will be nearby looking for places to eat/relax/shop. On the other hand, between Cajun Field and the Cajundome you’ve got maybe 15 days max where >10,000 people are in the area. That’s probably not enough to support a large scale development.
    Lifestyle venues need a kickstart reboot after Covid. It's not enough to just open the doors.

To be fair, our master plan has almost 100% been implemented on the main campus, and much of what was called for in the St. Landry campus is (ever) so slowly working to fruition.

Why the athletic plan has not happened yet is, I would say, due to a bunch of issues, with the ability to draw tenants being a major factor. What comes first, the chicken or the egg? Investing in commercial development is an extremely complex thing, and while I won’t say the admin bears no fault, that can’t be the only reason.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents and I won’t be drawn into a fight about it, lol.

So here is the link to the overall master plan, and one for the master plan itself. It’s really worth a read.

https://president.louisiana.edu/stra...ns/master-plan

https://louisiana.edu/sites/louisian...3.14-small.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

Between baseball, softball, football, bball and concerts, you have a lot of opportunity to attract people…if done right.

Read in the Acadiana Advocate that the likely spot for the new performing arts center to replace the Heymann Center will be located on the corner of Cajundome Blvd and Congress.

Wonder if this is going to spur increased/additional development in that area along with the renovation of CF.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Read in the Acadiana Advocate that the likely spot for the new performing arts center to replace the Heymann Center will be located on the corner of Cajundome Blvd and Congress.

Wonder if this is going to spur increased/additional development in that area along with the renovation of CF.
    I fully expect them to schedule EVERY event the same day as Cajuns/basketball/football.

GUARANTEED.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Not sure how close to reality this was, but it was for sure being discussed with some developers from LA around the time Napier was hired. Of course, it went no where. I'll leave it up to you guys to guess why...

We need, at a minimum, bars and restaurants, inside and outside of the new stadium, that are open for regular business hours, 52 weeks a year. We need a common area, shared tailgating area, and official school store with official school gear as well.
    Now that it looks like the city of Lafayette will be building the new Heymann Center across from CF this would be a good time to resurrect this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Now that it looks like the city of Lafayette will be building the new Heymann Center across from CF this would be a good time to resurrect this idea.
    Not any time soon. Funding not in place. Sales tax was suppose to get on ballot this year but the administration was too busy digging holes. Next year is LCG election year, no new tax proposal will be mentioned.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information