Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Third Place

Default Re: Third Place

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Having a concrete master plan like Mr. Oubre's sure would be nice right about now.

The additional funding to the monkey farm (which prints money for this university), the R1 status making its way around the country, the recent success of Football & Baseball, the influx of Fed dollars, the influx of state dollars secured by our local delegation recently, the influx of covid recovery funds, the investment into infrastructure, housing and state highways...

Wouldn't it be incredible if we could, I don't know, have a document that prepared athletics for this precise moment in history... Wonder where we could find such a document...
    App State? I kid, I kid....

Having a concrete master plan like Mr. Oubre's sure would be nice right about now.

The additional funding to the monkey farm (which prints money for this university), the R1 status making its way around the country, the recent success of Football & Baseball, the influx of Fed dollars, the influx of state dollars secured by our local delegation recently, the influx of covid recovery funds, the investment into infrastructure, housing and state highways...

Wouldn't it be incredible if we could, I don't know, have a document that prepared athletics for this precise moment in history... Wonder where we could find such a document...
    The link to one of, if not the, document(s) put together by Architects Southwest.

https://louisiana.edu/sites/louisian...3.14-small.pdf

Notice on page 6...you see "Concept Renderings."

"Concept renderings", to me, doesn't reconcile with a "concerete master plan."

What Mr. Oubre presented was simply drawings of what could or might be.

I absolutely get that you have to start somewhere, but what Architects Southwest did was simply draw a picture of what might be.

Likewise, the Alden Report. https://ragincajuns.com/documents/20...ICA_report.pdf

Yes, there are some recommendations in the Alden Report, but there needs to be something more (I'll call it an "Implementation Matrix") which lays the map out on how to reconcile all of these wonderful plans and ideas into one document, assigning stakeholders, responsible parties, responsibilities and timelines.

I'll offer up the I-49 Connector and what the construction of this facility could look like.

Quite often, we get caught up in the picture and lose focus on the practicality.

Had this conversation regarding the Research Park on this very board with a member who was concerned about the neighborhood adjacent to the Research Park. A perfectly legitimate concern.

In addition, I think LCG has also identified this small corridor (Congrees from the coulee to Bertrand) as lacking in infrastructure capacity (water and sewage). Another issue not considered in the drawings.

Just some thoughts (that were made several years ago on this very board) about a process that tends to neglect real world issues.

3. Default Re: Third Place

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    The link to one of, if not the, document(s) put together by Architects Southwest.

https://louisiana.edu/sites/louisian...3.14-small.pdf

Notice on page 6...you see "Concept Renderings."

"Concept renderings", to me, doesn't reconcile with a "concerete master plan."

What Mr. Oubre presented was simply drawings of what could or might be.

I absolutely get that you have to start somewhere, but what Architects Southwest did was simply draw a picture of what might be.

Likewise, the Alden Report. https://ragincajuns.com/documents/20...ICA_report.pdf

Yes, there are some recommendations in the Alden Report, but there needs to be something more (I'll call it an "Implementation Matrix") which lays the map out on how to reconcile all of these wonderful plans and ideas into one document, assigning stakeholders, responsible parties, responsibilities and timelines.

I'll offer up the I-49 Connector and what the construction of this facility could look like.

Quite often, we get caught up in the picture and lose focus on the practicality.

Had this conversation regarding the Research Park on this very board with a member who was concerned about the neighborhood adjacent to the Research Park. A perfectly legitimate concern.

In addition, I think LCG has also identified this small corridor (Congrees from the coulee to Bertrand) as lacking in infrastructure capacity (water and sewage). Another issue not considered in the drawings.

Just some thoughts (that were made several years ago on this very board) about a process that tends to neglect real world issues.
    Thanks CM. So much can be learned from these documents. When we have enough people asking WHY, things might change.

Checkout the analysis on the Licensing Department from the Alden Report...

Thanks CM. So much can be learned from these documents. When we have enough people asking WHY, things might change.

And with what I said, remember, I think there will be a new performing arts center to be constructed at Congress/Cajundome Blvd.

While its a little removed from this site, Bertrand does have a few establishments serving food and drink...potentially an entertainment district. (Actually, in my world, the district would have as its parameters Johnston to Bertrand to Eraste Landry to the back of the Research Park and Coulee to Souvenir Gate to Coliseum Road and back to Johnston.

Infrastructure improvements along Congress (to include pedestrian under/over passes). If I am correct about the inadequate capacity, this would need to be done to enhance the Research Park anyway.

New Cajun Field hopefully will include your destination establishment (maybe food/beverage/entertainment venue?).

2 or 3 permanent bandstands (maybe its too late for that).

More improved tailgating spots (with electric) that DON'T cater to RVs.

Improved tailgating spots for students on the east side (along with one of the new bandstands).

Just some thoughts that are prolly way too late in the thought process.

Take a deep breath before doing that...my goodness. Even the comment next to getting a mascot. Failure on such a simple thing, not to mention other things. Hell, WKU has a dot...Hotwheels and Pepper does not work, come up with something instead of just sitting there. Heck, Moss Man or something...

Infrastructure is a concern, but isn't necessary if key positions are not fulfilling the Alden Report.

And with what I said, remember, I think there will be a new performing arts center to be constructed at Congress/Cajundome Blvd.
    SOMEONE missed getting it on the ballot (and along with the grant deadline). Won't be on the ballot next year, election.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Take a deep breath before doing that...my goodness. Even the comment next to getting a mascot. Failure on such a simple thing, not to mention other things. Hell, WKU has a dot...Hotwheels and Pepper does not work, come up with something instead of just sitting there. Heck, Moss Man or something...

Infrastructure is a concern, but isn't necessary if key positions are not fulfilling the Alden Report.

SOMEONE missed getting it on the ballot (and along with the grant deadline). Won't be on the ballot next year, election.
    We were going to apply thru Capital Outlay?

We were going to apply thru Capital Outlay?
    Just sent you a PM. Might want to read it on your home network.

reading through this alden report is hysterical. i had forgotten how damning it was. the sad thing is not much has changed

Just sent you a PM. Might want to read it on your home network.
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by ExecutiveCajun View Post
    reading through this alden report is hysterical. i had forgotten how damning it was. the sad thing is not much has changed
    Feels a lot like the RCC and the seating added in the 80’s doesn’t it? RR has some interesting things to discuss with Maggard. Heck, some of this may even deserve a FOIA request…like who is keeping RCAF tethered. And why?

A "Third place" is a place where people hang-out that isn't work or isn't home.

Third Place Explained

Bars, clubs, barber shops, cafes, churches, parks, parlors, etc... Anchors of communities.

For decades, we as a society, have slowly stopped frequenting these places of fellowship and relationship building. Instead, large companies have presented malls and plazas as "the new town square" and it has splintered our communities. Technology hasn't helped this trend, especially with the younger generations. Consumer-centric businesses can't replace human desire to interact with like-minded strangers over a shared interest. This is why people have tried to replicate communal gatherings through on-line communication like social media, gaming and forums.

If I'm involved with UL development or promotions, my NUMBER ONE mission is transforming the athletic complex into the best Third Place option in a 10 mile radius of Reinhardt Dr.
    What area in Lafayette is currently the Third Place ... do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    What area in Lafayette is currently the Third Place ... do you think?
    Given the administration put the Greeks under their thumb, RCAF under the foundation, student fans under the Pecan Patrol, and failure with the Alden report, what makes one think a restaurant/bar would possibly be placed on university property as a Third Place?

Given the administration put the Greeks under their thumb, RCAF under the foundation, student fans under the Pecan Patrol, and failure with the Alden report, what makes one think a restaurant/bar would possibly be placed on university property as a Third Place?
    Nothing makes me think that. My question is where does that place exist today in Lafayette? I cannot think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Nothing makes me think that. My question is where does that place exist today in Lafayette? I cannot think of any.
    It’s Being built currently on Johnston St where old academy was. Its Called the forum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information