Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    NO, WE HIRED THE BEST COACH WE COULD FIND AT THAT NUMBER.

HOW HARD IS THAT FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?
    There's a difference between paying the going rate for a new coach and settling for what you can get with what you have.

If UL had said "starting salary at $1.25 million" we are recalibrating what we are willing to pay for being the "stepping stone" for coaches looking for upward mobility.

Would we have had "better" candidates if we DID offer that? Maybe, maybe not.

Would Mike have gotten the job at the salary? May, maybe not.

Saints did the same thing with Dennis Allen. Continuity.

I just hope it works in both instances.

2. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    There's a difference between paying the going rate for a new coach and settling for what you can get with what you have.

If UL had said "starting salary at $1.25 million" we are recalibrating what we are willing to pay for being the "stepping stone" for coaches looking for upward mobility.

Would we have had "better" candidates if we DID offer that? Maybe, maybe not.

Would Mike have gotten the job at the salary? May, maybe not.

Saints did the same thing with Dennis Allen. Continuity.

I just hope it works in both instances.
    I don't think we did that. I believe the budget set was $750,000 and the target was CMD because with him, you get a lot more intangibles that you would not get with any other candidate at that salary.

It's kind of a chicken and egg thing at this point. I believe they had a budget and that they believed that the best candidate they could find with that budget was right here and they suceedded.

Default Re: Are we Broke

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Don't you think that should have been the lead quote in your first post?

A year ago June, Maggard was given a new title and Pay raise from the ether, as Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics.

His contract will run through June 30, 2026.

$400,000 per year with a 2.5% increase each year.

Louisiana's expenses were a lot higher a year ago June, than they are now. Income is probably about the same, with a bump to $2 mil from the Sunbelt.

Athletic departments are never broke, it just depends on how much academics wants to invest in their advertising arm.

Do companies ever ask if their marking department is broke? No, they spend what they have.
    "Athletic departments are never broke, it just depends on how much academics wants to invest in their advertising arm."

That is the key question! Athletics is an investment for the university and is its window to the world. However, academics doesn't always seem to view it that way. Now that we have achieved Tier 1 academic status and are well on our way to a half billion dollar endowment, it is time to take athletics to a Tier 1 status as well. Our main campus has been rebuilt and worthy of its academic standing. How did we fund the total campus transformation? Can we similarly fund the athletic campus transformation? We didn't first grow our endowment then rebuild. Why fund athletics infrastructure differently? This is an important investment by the university that can visibly change the perception of UL by its alumni and public. People who become successful want to support success. Let's give them something to support instead of asking for support in hopes that one day we will achieve success.

It was reported that UCLA is operating with a $100M deficit in athletics. Fortunately for UCLA, it looks like the BIG 10 will bail them out of that financial crisis. OK State was in a financial crisis until Boone Pickens stepped in. I read some time ago that Houston operated in the past with a $40M deficit, but the President decided that athletics was a key to national recognition for UH and continued to fund it. Then, along came Tillman Fertitta and look at where UH is today. We don't have a Pickens or Fertitta as yet. We don't seem to have a handle on who our successful alumni are across the US. What would motivate such an alumnus to do what Pickens or Fertitta did? We can't wait for that miracle that may never happen.

So, create our own miracle and make a major commitment to similarly completing that athletic campus transformation. Have a major announcement outlining its steps towards achieving that to include completing the building of the athletic infrastructure like we did on campus and not let this drag on year after year. Use that as a national springboard to building an athletics endowment. Business as usual is not moving the needle. If we want to motivate people to financially support success in athletics, first show to our alumni and to the public the university's commitment to success.

Y’all see what is happening here, right? This thing about money was brought up in multiple threads and didn’t get the desired traction, so now it has blossomed into its own thread. How glorious.

The agenda here isn’t exactly a secret. There only a certain few goals with this discussion:

- Erode confidence in CMD (by insinuating that he’s all we could afford)
    - Erode confidence in Maggard (by insinuating that he mismanaged various things related to the budget)
    - The notion that we aren’t prepared to pay the money to be big time like we think we are (kinda sounds like “know your place, little brother”, huh?)

I suggest we all just let this discussion die.

For goodness sakes, it’s homecoming week. No need to rattle this pointless saber.

We are all frustrated. But we all want to move in a positive direction. Not this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I don't think we did that. I believe the budget set was $750,000 and the target was CMD because with him, you get a lot more intangibles that you would not get with any other candidate at that salary.

It's kind of a chicken and egg thing at this point. I believe they had a budget and that they believed that the best candidate they could find with that budget was right here and they suceedded.
    By all accounts, we interviewed other candidates from bigger schools but decided on Desormeaux. We paid him that because that pay is in line for his resume, not because its all we had. Had we hired Lanning, it wouldn't have been for $750k.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    By all accounts, we interviewed other candidates from bigger schools but decided on Desormeaux. We paid him that because that pay is in line for his resume, not because its all we had. Had we hired Lanning, it wouldn't have been for $750k.
    If I post a job and someone applies with an ask way below what I am expecting, I am as skeptical of that person as the one who wants double the market. I will still hire them if qualified. I will also often pay at the level I think they are at regardless of ask because down the road, it's worth it. Going 100k below Napier's starting salary is concerning to me. Whether it's budget constraints or what CMD's resume says he should be making doesn't matter. I feel like our program has progressed to where that floor moves higher, not lower...

7. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Y’all see what is happening here, right? This thing about money was brought up in multiple threads and didn’t get the desired traction, so now it has blossomed into its own thread. How glorious.

The agenda here isn’t exactly a secret. There only a certain few goals with this discussion:

- Erode confidence in Maggard (by insinuating that he mismanaged various things related to the budget)
    - The notion that we aren’t prepared to pay the money to be big time like we think we are (kinda sounds like “know your place, little brother”, huh?)

For goodness sakes, it’s homecoming week. No need to rattle this pointless saber.

We are all frustrated. But we all want to move in a positive direction. Not this crap.
    Your analysis, as usual, can't be further from the truth.

You do not get to set agenda's which are not yours, neither do they exist because you have said so.

This thread, with mounds of accurate and supplemental information is killing you, isn't?

Participate or sit on the side, but please don't try to taint with you regular BS.

Thanks

Vic

8. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Because it isn't accurate. Dr. Maggard was not told he couldn't spend more than $750,000. He hired Mike because he thought Mike was the right choice and paid him a competitive salary with other first year coaches in our league.

I think you are totally off base with your hypothesis.

And, don't yell at me.
    Forget Mike's Salary. 750,000 dollars is enough to buy a hell of a coach. My question is about the tools to operate & run a successful comprehensive program? Is Mike being given budget in line with the budget Billy had to operate? And if not, why not?

It's not about the money. Any other new HC was going to get close to what CMD got.

The story that is unfolding here has nothing to do with money. Biggest reason for giving CMD the job was to continue the cULture. It's what happened after this that is important.

CBN ruthlessly raided our program after CMD was hired. This is the biggest reason for our 2-2 start and the cULture seemingly absent. Any argument otherwise or focusing on salaries is pointless naval gazing. Some here point to changes in routines by CMD. That may have some validity as well to the cULture hit.

We can't bring those players and coaches back, but we can change what we're doing NOW to bring back the cULture, and it has nothing to do with how much CMD is being paid.

Default Re: Are we Broke

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Because both can grow weed being they are agricultural and mechanical colleges. Within their defined mission. They’re Aggies.
    So they get to have their budgets explode off the charts while the rest of the state schools suffer like the 49th/50th state in the union? Nice, thanks for the info though. I'm almost sorry I learned the answer. But I have another question. SInce UL is supposed to be a business school, did they politic to get the lion's share of dispensaries?

12. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

The $750,000 question is: Why is CMD our coach?

It is because it was believed that his coaching skills together with his intangibles made for the best hire to keep the cULture going at that time for the sum of $750,000.

It is all of that together. You can't parcel out any portion of it unless you want to get that wrong. It is all of it.

Now, that became the solution w/i our constraints. Anyone who ignores those facts is watching with blinders on. I will try again:

1. One of those facts in the hire was that we only had about $750,000 to spend.

2. In the evaluation of those in charge, there was no better candidate available out there at that price who was believed to be able to continue the cULture.

3. There was no other candidate who had coached under Napier out there that was available as this was Napier's first HC job and Napier had hand picked to follow him any others that would have been qualified.

4. CMD is known to be a very smart and studious individual which lent credibility to the belief that he was the person for the job.

5. Bonus, CMD would probably finish his career here if he ends up earning the right to stay.

5. The decision has been made and it is now time to back CMD with support for a reasonable period of time to sink his feet into the position and have a chance to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's not about the money. Any other new HC was going to get close to what CMD got.

The story that is unfolding here has nothing to do with money. Biggest reason for giving CMD the job was to continue the cULture. It's what happened after this that is important.

CBN ruthlessly raided our program after CMD was hired. This is the biggest reason for our 2-2 start and the cULture seemingly absent. Any argument otherwise or focusing on salaries is pointless naval gazing. Some here point to changes in routines by CMD. That may have some validity as well to the cULture hit.

We can't bring those players and coaches back, but we can change what we're doing NOW to bring back the cULture, and it has nothing to do with how much CMD is being paid.
    Sorry Chief, I call BS. If taking THREE players guts your program it wasn't much of a program to begin with. As far as coaches & analysts go, if those people have a good working relationship with Billy & he had the opportunity to give them the opportunity to improve their lifestyle dramatically, then good for him & them. That again is not gutting anything. That is free enterprise. The BIG question is Mike having to make "cultural changes" due to lack of support by the university? Or is he making these changes because he wants to? It isn't the people as much as it is the opportunity to replace those people with other good people that are young & hungry to help achieve success.

14. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

It is truly unbelievable how the goal posts move as posters arguments continue the bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post

I disagree with this as well. As much as Vic can be obnoxious & obtuse even in my thinking. He has defended Des as strongly as anyone tot he point of being obnoxious & obtuse. I think he is bringing up some good points which could be helpful with people wanting to help give Mike the benefit of the doubt down the road. Because no matter what any of us say, the road is about to get a hell of a lot rockier.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information