Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I disagree with this as well. As much as Vic can be obnoxious & obtuse even in my thinking. He has defended Des as strongly as anyone tot he point of being obnoxious & obtuse. I think he is bringing up some good points which could be helpful with people wanting to help give Mike the benefit of the doubt down the road. Because no matter what any of us say, the road is about to get a hell of a lot rockier.
    But if the main reason for giving Mike the benefit of the doubt is based on the fact that we could not afford anything better, the insinuations are all negative. You can’t get to a positive by going all negative.

2-2 does not mean the house is broke. None of the facts above would change whether we were 4-0 or 0-4 right now.

I get frustrated because there are moments like this, when we are on a down slide for 2 games (2!), and some voices that sound a lot like “know your place” sneak up on this board in very subtle ways. So I call it out.

“Mike is all we could afford” = “know your place”

2. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    NO, WE HIRED THE BEST COACH WE COULD FIND AT THAT NUMBER.

HOW HARD IS THAT FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?
    Quit yelling, I just woke up.

Hit the reset button.

3. Default Re: Are we Broke

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    At the possible risk of setting this program back?
    As it turned out no coach was going to be able to maintain what Napier put in place. At any price.

4. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

I am reminded of how (soon to be) Hall of Fame inductee Russ Faulkinberry in effect changed coaches on himself.

After a long successful run, he went to the Veer offense and quickly proceeded to win ONE game ....and was fired.

It's hard to replace a legend, even when it's yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    But if the main reason for giving Mike the benefit of the doubt is based on the fact that we could not afford anything better, the insinuations are all negative. You can’t get to a positive by going all negative.

2-2 does not mean the house is broke. None of the facts above would change whether we were 4-0 or 0-4 right now.

I get frustrated because there are moments like this, when we are on a down slide for 2 games (2!), and some voices that sound a lot like “know your place” sneak up on this board in very subtle ways. So I call it out.

Exactly and to be accurate, the budget was cut while Billy Napier was head coach during Covid. I believe it's about $8M less than it was prior to the first season under Covid.

I understand your position, and it may appear that way to a lot of people. But I don't see it that way. I am concerned though, & someone like you could be of a lot of help in this regard. I am concerned that Mike might be getting shorted on support from the school to do the same job Billy did. And that is bothersome. Because it would be damn hard for Mike to be able to achieve the same goals with any less much less half, or less of the tools to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's not about the money. Any other new HC was going to get close to what CMD got.

The story that is unfolding here has nothing to do with money. Biggest reason for giving CMD the job was to continue the cULture. It's what happened after this that is important.

CBN ruthlessly raided our program after CMD was hired. This is the biggest reason for our 2-2 start and the cULture seemingly absent. Any argument otherwise or focusing on salaries is pointless naval gazing. Some here point to changes in routines by CMD. That may have some validity as well to the cULture hit.

We can't bring those players and coaches back, but we can change what we're doing NOW to bring back the cULture, and it has nothing to do with how much CMD is being paid.
    been 4 days and no one will answer my question. what does coach des staff look like compared to napiers? how large?

Quote Originally Posted by ExecutiveCajun View Post
    been 4 days and no one will answer my question. what does coach des staff look like compared to napiers? how large?
    These are the things that I want to know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ExecutiveCajun View Post
    Ask Turbine to post the thread since you joined in August. There is plenty of information on who left and how many.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Exactly and to be accurate, the budget was cut while Billy Napier was head coach during Covid. I believe it's about $8M less than it was prior to the first season under Covid.
    Can you provide a link to validate your comment about the budget being $8M less--you have mentioned this number a few times.

Also, what is our budget compared to Monroe? I would assume it is still much higher than then Monroe's who I believe is the lowest in FBS. I would also think CBN new the budget constraints when he was offered the job 10 months ago.

11. Default Re: Is UL Athletics Broke?

Nobody ever said Mike was all we could afford., other than YOU.

What was said is that Mike had all of the qualifications and was the only coach with substantial intangibles that no other coach could possibly have.

While some of us are trying to make him the star, you are attempting to ascribe negative agendas which are just not there.

Please just quit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post
    Can you provide a link to validate your comment about the budget being $8M less--you have mentioned this number a few times.

Also, what is our budget compared to Monroe? I would assume it is still much higher than then Monroe's who I believe is the lowest in FBS. I would also think CBN new the budget constraints when he was offered the job 10 months ago.
    Going off what I was told when asking the head of our athletic department. But if you want validation, I believe the last state audit of 2020 shows what are actual budget was, meaning actual expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post

Pulled from Sportico website

OPERATIONAL EXPENSES 2020-2021
    1) Coastal Carolina: $36,086,347
    4) Louisiana: $34,129,724
    9) ULM: $18,140,898

PROFIT/LOSS 2020-2021
    1) Coastal Carolina: $658,821
    6) Louisiana: -$862,391
    7) ULM: -$1,320,345
    9) South Alabama: -$2,644,738

GENERATED REVENUE 2020-2021
    1) App State: $14,220,988
    2) Louisiana: $11,267,394
    9) ULM: $4,230,473

LOUISIANA PROFIT/LOSS BY YEAR
    2020-2021: -$862,391
    2019-2020: -$5,980,700
    2018-2019: -$4,559,770
    2017-2018: +$82,086

Going off what I was told when asking the head of our athletic department. But if you want validation, I believe the last state audit of 2020 shows what are actual budget was, meaning actual expenses.
    thanks---Did Maggard indicate to you that we could not be successful because of our budget? Did CMD indicate we could not be successful because of our budget? Why is everyone using our budget as a reason we cannot be successful if Maggard and CMD have not used that as an excuse?

If they feel they cannot succeed with the budget they have, they need to resign now.

We lost to a team that has a much lower budget than ours.

Budget has nothing to do with this.

The accountability to produce results is on Maggard and CMD.

Ask Turbine to post the thread since you joined in August. There is plenty of information on who left and how many.
    been reading these boards for 20+ years chief. the answer is no one knows

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information