Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Podcast GSS: Coach Michael Desormeaux (9-26-22)

Tickets Podcast GSS: Coach Michael Desormeaux (9-26-22)

Louisiana Ragin' Cajun coach Michael Desormeaux joined Scott to discuss the loss at ULM, where the team must improve, the 2 QB system, special teams, social media, fan reaction, the homecoming matchup against South Alabama, and more.

2. Default Re: Podcast GSS: Coach Michael Desormeaux (9-26-22)

I have no problem with scripted series or with Wooldridge in every 3rd series.

But and however, I am a big fan of MAKE-IT TAKE-IT. Meaning if one QB leads a scoring drive, let him stay in for the next series and adjust the script accordingly.

Default Re: Podcast GSS: Coach Michael Desormeaux (9-26-22)

I'm not CMD and I'm not in his headspace, but I hope his continued decision to play both QBs is not just indecision obfuscated. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions and stick by them.

CMD cited bad communication in previous losses with the offense. Well, I'm sure rotating QBs doesn't help with that.

And to Scott and CMD's point (about fans caring more about QBs than other aspects of the game), I don't feel like QB play won or lost us the game last week. Special teams miscues and two big offensive plays by ULM did us in.

But it still needs to be someone's full time job rather than a "starter with a part-time job" as CMD put it.

QBs are typically leaders of teams. It's not doing your team any favors to have two guys splitting time and thus splitting responsibility. It robs someone's ability to fire up a stunned sideline because both guys don't feel like the team is truly theirs. Is that what's happening on our sideline? No idea...just educated speculation in my opinion.

Damn it des. Enough of this 2 qb crap.
    Why do we keep doing the same thing and expect different results. Insanity

Scott CMD said EG hasn’t missed a punt since 2019 GA So game. IMO you failed with the obvious follow up question. WTF is EG doing fielding a punt on the freaking 1 yard line? WTF is your special teams coach teaching his return guys. Pee wee football players know better than that. Just another mental mistake that comes down to not paying attention to detail and doing the little things right and discipline.

CMD is a former quarterback and should know better than most coaches that 2 QB systems rarely work.

CMD also continues to refer to these young men as “kids”. He is no longer a high school coach. These players are not children! They are young adults on scholarship and can be paid NIL deals. He needs to refer to them with respect to their age. The psychology of this label is vital to their success on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    CMD is a former quarterback and should know better than most coaches that 2 QB systems rarely work.

CMD also continues to refer to these young men as “kids”. He is no longer a high school coach. These players are not children! They are young adults on scholarship and can be paid NIL deals. He needs to refer to them with respect to their age. The psychology of this label is vital to their success on and off the field.
    Can someone school me up? Did Des & Babb ever platoon at QB? or did Des platoon with anyone else while he was a player?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Can someone school me up? Did Des & Babb ever platoon at QB? or did Des platoon with anyone else while he was a player?
    Des came in for Jerry when he got hurt in 05. It’s what started the running game explosion. Babb did end up coming back and took back over. Jerry beat out Des in 06 and then Des took over in 07. I don’t remember them running a 2qb system but Des played special teams and was in on some specialty plays. That’s all I got

9. Default Re: Podcast GSS: Coach Michael Desormeaux (9-26-22)

No but Boomer kept calling for them to line up in the backfield together.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I'm not CMD and I'm not in his headspace, but I hope his continued decision to play both QBs is not just indecision obfuscated. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions and stick by them.

CMD cited bad communication in previous losses with the offense. Well, I'm sure rotating QBs doesn't help with that.

And to Scott and CMD's point (about fans caring more about QBs than other aspects of the game), I don't feel like QB play won or lost us the game last week. Special teams miscues and two big offensive plays by ULM did us in.

But it still needs to be someone's full time job rather than a "starter with a part-time job" as CMD put it.

QBs are typically leaders of teams. It's not doing your team any favors to have two guys splitting time and thus splitting responsibility. It robs someone's ability to fire up a stunned sideline because both guys don't feel like the team is truly theirs. Is that what's happening on our sideline? No idea...just educated speculation in my opinion.
    Sullivan didn't drop a TD pass in the endzone? And Jefferson didn't drop a deep sideline pass inside the ULM 20? LeBlanc didn't drop 2 passes on critical 3rd downs? It was more than special teams and several missed tackles on the ULM touchdowns.

I agree with the QB system, but that means neither has won the job outright. Neither of these guys can replace Levy's experience and leadership. They have very little playing experience at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Sullivan didn't drop a TD pass in the endzone? And Jefferson didn't drop a deep sideline pass inside the ULM 20? LeBlanc didn't drop 2 passes on critical 3rd downs? It was more than special teams and several missed tackles on the ULM touchdowns.

I agree with the QB system, but that means neither has won the job outright. Neither of these guys can replace Levy's experience and leadership. They have very little playing experience at this point.
    Yea, I know there were a bunch of dropped passes. I was just trying to paint the picture that while QB play wasn't the deciding factor in the ULM game, I still don't like the 2-QB system.

We missed out on two possible games we could have developed some of those intangibles (leadership/experience) sticking with one guy; games that we lost anyway. But now we're going into game four against a contender for the west with these questions.

This is 100% all hindsight, and I know a lot of posters would be getting after CMD if he stuck with one guy and we lost those two games without seeing the other QB once.

Any guys that actually played want to chime in on this question: can the QB carousel affect WR/QB route timing, bias, synergy? Can that be attributed to some of those seemingly easy dropped passes?

That's why Mike is going to have to make a decision & go with it. It sucks, but that's why he's making the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Des came in for Jerry when he got hurt in 05. It’s what started the running game explosion. Babb did end up coming back and took back over. Jerry beat out Des in 06 and then Des took over in 07. I don’t remember them running a 2qb system but Des played special teams and was in on some specialty plays. That’s all I got
    That's what I remember. I'm just wondering what's in Mike's head on the 2 QB system.

I only remember one 3rd down target to LeBlanc did I miss one? Who Sullivan? What position does he play?

That's what I remember. I'm just wondering what's in Mike's head on the 2 QB system.
    Maybe he figures Napier did it his first year, so he will too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information