Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Moment Of Truth For CMD

1. Default Re: Moment Of Truth For CMD

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    ... And so what if he “worked” for the hottest prospect he didn’t think highly enough of him to let him call plays as co-ordinator...
    Napier wouldn't have let Mike Leech and Bill Walsh call plays for him, and thats not a knock on any of the three.

Default Re: Moment Of Truth For CMD

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    People keep bringing up coaching contacts but don't know the reality. Napier didn't have many contacts before getting here. Let's look at his top coaches that were connected from previous spots.

Rob Sale - On staff together at Arizona State (2017) & Alabama (2011)
    Mark Hocke - On staff together at Alabama (2011, 2013, 2014)

Ron Roberts is the one who brought in Patrick Toney who was on his Southeastern staff from 2012-2014. Neither has previous Napier connection.

Everyone knows Juluke was on staff to recruit New Orleans but no previous Napier connection.

Burris, Norrid, & Scott were brought on by Napier. Bergeron & Giuliani were also brought up by Napier from GAs to various roles.

So, if Napier's staff was all-world last year, why do some of you think differently of them now that Des is the head coach?

Was there a reason Napier brought in 9 transfers in 2021? Let's look at what we lost on the roster at key positions and keep the big picture in focus.
    napier didnt have contacts? thats news to everyone

You don't like Des, we get it. You've posted the same things under multiple names on different social media sites. How about you actually give him & his staff a chance to coach before calling to fire him.
    I don’t want to sound negative. Help me be positive here. Going back to January what has Des and his staff done that jumps out and says this was a good hire. We have all heard of the changes he made in the off season program to put his own stamp on the program. Please tell me I want to positive here where did he improve the program by making those changes? Where do you see those results?

Exactly what I'm getting at! People are posting nonsense due to emotions clouding their judgement. Not many look at facts before posting.
    Napier also went for 2 down 11 ...I question his judgment sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Thibodeaux View Post
    I don’t want to sound negative. Help me be positive here. Going back to January what has Des and his staff done that jumps out and says this was a good hire. We have all heard of the changes he made in the off season program to put his own stamp on the program. Please tell me I want to positive here where did he improve the program by making those changes? Where do you see those results?
    It's been only one fall camp and 4 games. You won't see a huge improvement this quick. We lost 10 seniors, 7 of those were starters at key positions. We also lost juniors Max Mitchell and Percy Putler to the NFL Draft.

Now let's add the transfer portal players.
    Kamryn Waites (Florida)
    O'Cyrus Torrence (Florida)
    Montrell Johnson (Florida)
    Emani Bailey (TCU)
    Mekhi Williams-Garner (LSU)
    Kyren Lacy (LSU)
    Lorenzo McCaskill (Kansas)

What's that, 14 key players gone from last years roster? I'm being realistic here, even Napier would be in this same position this season. Even staying in dorms for fall camp wouldn't help much after losing that many pieces. Give it time and you'll see the improvements.

It's been only one fall camp and 4 games. You won't see a huge improvement this quick. We lost 10 seniors, 7 of those were starters at key positions. We also lost juniors Max Mitchell and Percy Putler to the NFL Draft.

Kamryn Waites (Florida)
    Emani Bailey (TCU)
    Kyren Lacy (LSU)

What's that, 14 key players gone from last years roster? I'm being realistic here, even Napier would be in this same position this season. Even staying in dorms for fall camp wouldn't help much after losing that many pieces. Give it time and you'll see the improvements.
    With all due respect, there would be a lot of criticism of Napier if he lost to Rice and ULM even if the same hand was dealt to him.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    That's understandable and I won't argue with your points. But for people to ignore what took place when Billy Napier walked out the door is also disingenuous. If you understand football and how the organization was built, there is no way anyone should have been suggesting 10 to 12 wins. That was one of the reasons he was hired was to try to keep some continuity in this program. Now that might prove to be the wrong decision but I'm not jumping to that conclusion after four games like many others. I've been around football for a long time and it's way too early to jump ship on Michael Desormeaux.
    I think you put it best here.

Kamryn Waites (Florida)
    Emani Bailey (TCU)
    Kyren Lacy (LSU)

If the top three were still here, they would be 4-0. That’s how big a difference those three players make.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    With all due respect, there would be a lot of criticism of Napier if he lost to Rice and ULM even if the same hand was dealt to him.
    I will give you ULM, but Rice has a really good staff and the had Houston beat Saturday until the last few minutes of the game. But didn't Billy lose to Coastal Carolina his first season at Cajun Field before they had transitioned to 85 scholarships?

I will give you ULM, but Rice has a really good staff and the had Houston beat Saturday until the last few minutes of the game. But didn't Billy lose to Coastal Carolina his first season at Cajun Field before they had transitioned to 85 scholarships?
    Who can forget the CCU game? Back to back TDs with Nunez at QB. Force a punt down 2. Levi gets his scripted drive. Have to punt. Cajuns lose. Sounds familiar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Who can forget the CCU game? Back to back TDs with Nunez at QB. Force a punt down 2. Levi gets his scripted drive. Have to punt. Cajuns lose. Sounds familiar to me.
    Yes sir, we didn't have 1 QB then and we don't seem to have 1 now. But sadly familiar.

12. Default Re: Moment Of Truth For CMD

Wowja Vu

Yes sir, we didn't have 1 QB then and we don't seem to have 1 now. But sadly familiar.
    CCU is a very fair point though, T. I wanted 6-6 Billy’s first year. I had the same feeling looking at our schedule after Saturday as I did after that game…not really seeing the path to 6 wins. We somehow got it done though + 1. Maybe Des can do the same.

What’s your evaluation on the QBs, T? The interesting thing about 2018 to me is that the current and prior staffs at the time seemed to think LL was the future of Cajuns football. It lends a little reasoning to the 2 QB strategy for a team that wasn’t talented enough to win a conference title but was building for the future.
    Neither Ben or Chandler are talked about in that light it seems.

CCU is a very fair point though, T. I wanted 6-6 Billy’s first year. I had the same feeling looking at our schedule after Saturday as I did after that game…not really seeing the path to 6 wins. We somehow got it done though + 1. Maybe Des can do the same.

What’s your evaluation on the QBs, T? The interesting thing about 2018 to me is that the current and prior staffs at the time seemed to think LL was the future of Cajuns football. It lends a little reasoning to the 2 QB strategy for a team that wasn’t talented enough to win a conference title but was building for the future.
    Neither Ben or Chandler are talked about in that light it seems.
    My opinion is worth no more than anyone else's here. But we will have a 10-day period after the Marshall game, before the next. At that point, half the season is done and if nothing has change in improvements on offense, you have a chance to make a few personal changes and tweak your offense.

You can't change your offensive philosophy during the season, that's what spring and summer sessions are about. This is a power offense predicated off the run, and the passing game is set up off the run. So, what can they do? They can play Zeon more, run more Zone Read Option like Hudspeth did with Nixon and Napier did with Levy. You make the change because he gives you more athletically like Levy, Gautier or Broadway to make plays within the system. He may not be developed as much in the passing game, but he certainly is ahead of Legendre in that regard. Mike ran this offense, and he was great at it. Legendre needs to work from the Pistol at times, and in the backfield as a back with Zeon. He's 6-2, 220 and he can help you from the RB position and Wing or Slot. Your best skilled athletes on offense are Zeon, Legendre, Smith and Jefferson. Get them on the field in packages within the system.

Zeon can play in four games and still keep his RS. They can't hide him on the sidelines because other programs know where he is, and they could still reach out to him after the season and get him for 4 years after RS. We can no longer worry about who leaves your program because they can't hide them. If they are under .500 after 6 games, then developing Zeon for next season is the way I would move. I don't care who leaves because of it, because you are doing it for the program.

Kamryn Waites (Florida)
    Emani Bailey (TCU)
    Kyren Lacy (LSU)

I really wish people would quit doing this as a defense for Mike. Because when you say we are this far down, you are saying it's not because he's made mistakes as a young strategist. You are really saying he doesn't recruit worth a crap. Either way, it's not a good reflection on him.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information