Thread: What is culture anyway?

Default What is culture anyway?

According to Google, one of several definitions of culture is the attitudes & behavior characteristic of a particular social group. So basically culture can be defined as a predictable response to a given set of circumstances given to set group of people with continual training, or behavioral patterns established. I am almost 60 years old & I can't remember the word culture being used more in my life than I have the past couple of years listening to various coaches & sports personalities in attempting to define the stated goals of their various programs.

I have just written all of that to write this. When the university made the decision to hire Mike Desormeaux, I am pretty certain and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. But if my memory serves me right, The UL faithful were assured that a culture of winning within the program had been established & that culture would in no way change. I'm pretty certain that was what I heard.

But the truth is it has changed. nd not one of those changes has been for the better IMO. Not only was the football budget eviscerated, The new coach also decided to make major changes both concerning camp & the way he plays his QBs in games. While I totally disagreed with his decision not to camp his team, I understood his reason to allow both QBs to compete for a game, or two to determine for sure who he wanted as his full time guy. But we are four weeks into the season & this team has lost two games to opponents who should be inferior to us even with the losses we suffered due to the transfer process. And this team is going backwards in a straight line.

I have been told the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results. If this is the case & I don't doubt it is for a second, wouldn't it stand to reason that if something is working, or producing a desired cultural effect, that it would be just as insane doing something completely different & expecting the same results? I'm just asking. I know Mike wants to put his own stamp on UL football. But does he really want that stamp to be the known as the guy who took the most successful program in our history to a new low?

One thing I do know is that this team is suffering from a severe lack of confidence right now that it did not suffer from at any point last season. And nothing, absolutely nothing will destroy a culture quicker than lack of confidence.

2. Default Re: What is culture anyway?

Did this guy say anything? Maybe he is trying to ghost it.

Default Re: What is culture anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    When the university made the decision to hire Mike Desormeaux, I am pretty certain and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. But if my memory serves me right, The UL faithful were assured that a culture of winning within the program had been established & that culture would in no way change. I'm pretty certain that was what I heard.
    The culture was going to change when coaches and support personnel left for Florida. The culture is more than one person, it takes a group of people to keep it in place and to ensure that barriers don't exist for the culture to flourish.

Think of it like this, Cajun culture was built on a group of people speaking a dialect of French in South Louisiana, along with customs, food, and traditions. People were told they can't speak the language and efforts were made to ban the language in schools. Over the years the culture suffered, and the culture wasn't fully passed on to the next generation. My grandparents were true Cajuns, they passed on elements of the culture, but I never had the opportunity to fully grasp the Cajun French dialect. Today, we try to teach young people French and sprinkle in elements of culture, but it isn't the same. The culture has changed.

The culture of Ragin Cajun football is changing because things have changed. Barriers exist, coaches have changed, and players are adjusting to a new era.

Well said

5. Default Re: What is culture anyway?

It is really too bad what has happened to the Cajun French language. I learned English and Cajun French at the same time growing up. While I never read or wrote Cajun French, I was as fluent speaking Cajun French as English. In high school for parish day government I even delivered a speech in French after relaying it in English.

Then I went to college and post degree and then on to full time work. The more time I spent away from home, the slower I got with the Cajun French. When my grand parents were alive, the language we communicated with at home was Cajun French. I have two younger sisters who did not pick it up. They were just left out. Now, all we speak is English and it is difficult to find someone to speak Cajun French with. My wife understands but can’t carry on a conversation. Boy I really miss it and take every opportunity I get to use what I have left of my Cajun French.

6. Default Re: What is culture anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I have been told the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results. If this is the case & I don't doubt it is for a second, wouldn't it stand to reason that if something is working, or producing a desired cultural effect, that it would be just as insane doing something completely different & expecting the same results? I'm just asking. I know Mike wants to put his own stamp on UL football. But does he really want that stamp to be the known as the guy who took the most successful program in our history to a new low?
    Your flipping the repetitive not working insanity logic, is a great learning moment for me.

7. Default Re: What is culture anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    It is really too bad what has happened to the Cajun French language. I learned English and Cajun French at the same time growing up. While I never read or wrote Cajun French, I was as fluent speaking Cajun French as English. In high school for parish day government I even delivered a speech in French after relaying it in English.

Then I went to college and post degree and then on to full time work. The more time I spent away from home, the slower I got with the Cajun French. When my grand parents were alive, the language we communicated with at home was Cajun French. I have two younger sisters who did not pick it up. They were just left out. Now, all we speak is English and it is difficult to find someone to speak Cajun French with. My wife understands but can’t carry on a conversation. Boy I really miss it and take every opportunity I get to use what I have left of my Cajun French.
    French is my dad's first language. He was forced to learn English in school.

In my lifetime I saw him go to France and after just a few minutes have zero problem communicating with their French, to now where he has to think before translating some words.

8. Default Re: What is culture anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    French is my dad's first language. He was forced to learn English in school.

In my lifetime I saw him go to France and after just a few minutes have zero problem communicating with their French, to now where he has to think before translating some words.
    You snooze you lose . . . Happens with languages also

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    The culture was going to change when coaches and support personnel left for Florida. The culture is more than one person, it takes a group of people to keep it in place and to ensure that barriers don't exist for the culture to flourish.

Think of it like this, Cajun culture was built on a group of people speaking a dialect of French in South Louisiana, along with customs, food, and traditions. People were told they can't speak the language and efforts were made to ban the language in schools. Over the years the culture suffered, and the culture wasn't fully passed on to the next generation. My grandparents were true Cajuns, they passed on elements of the culture, but I never had the opportunity to fully grasp the Cajun French dialect. Today, we try to teach young people French and sprinkle in elements of culture, but it isn't the same. The culture has changed.

The culture of Ragin Cajun football is changing because things have changed. Barriers exist, coaches have changed, and players are adjusting to a new era.
    So you are saying we were lied to then?

Who knew you had an ounce of sentiment for anything? You’re always so mean for no reason. Why is that?

11. Default Re: What is culture anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gris-Gris View Post
    Who knew you had an ounce of sentiment for anything? You’re always so mean for no reason. Why is that?
    I’m not mean, I am pure. Sometimes preservation requires a little sturness . . .

I’m not mean, I am pure. Sometimes preservation requires a little sturness . . .
    Did they freeze you in a hyerbaric chamber to purify you Dr. Authement?

Wait I thought we were all idiots and Dez and staff were geniuses during the EMU second half turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr View Post
    Wait I thought we were all idiots and Dez and staff were geniuses during the EMU second half turn around.
    So you caught that huh? You can only make so much art with an ounce of paint.(=

That's why I'm not on the fire Mike thread calling for a scalp. I think there is a lot of hope for Des, but he has to wake up & make a stand. That's why he's getting the big bucks. Who is gonna be your freaking QB for one. And next year, we are having a comprehensive football camp with supper & freshmen singing the fight song etal.

Thread Information